News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NBA Jam 2K20 PSone Mod  (Read 13086 times)

niuus

• View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 PSone Mod
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 07:32:52 pm »
There's a ton of hidden characters I can include too so if anybody got any requests let me know.
- Michael Jackson
- All players from the 1992 Dream Team.
- Eminem
- Fresh Prince of Bel Air / Will Smith
- Kurt Cobain
- Marilyn Manson
- Trent Reznor
- Duke Nukem
- B.J. Blazkowicz
- DOOM guy
- Master Chief

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »
- Michael Jackson
- All players from the 1992 Dream Team.
- Eminem
- Fresh Prince of Bel Air / Will Smith
- Kurt Cobain
- Marilyn Manson
- Trent Reznor
- Duke Nukem
- B.J. Blazkowicz
- DOOM guy
- Master Chief

Nice list. I'll definitely add Eminem. I'm not sure the exact number but there's over 50 hidden characters in the game so i got a lot of players i can add. I haven't played College slam on the PS1 yet, though i did try it on a Saturn emulator. The game has fictional players, but i believe they have a large roster too. And the game let's us change the players names. There aren't any player portraits though. I'm thinking about messing with that in the future as well.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 01:01:41 am »
Nice list. I'll definitely add Eminem. I'm not sure the exact number but there's over 50 hidden characters in the game so i got a lot of players i can add. I haven't played College slam on the PS1 yet, though i did try it on a Saturn emulator. The game has fictional players, but i believe they have a large roster too. And the game let's us change the players names. There aren't any player portraits though. I'm thinking about messing with that in the future as well.

• Kim Kardashian
  • Kanye West
  • Joe Biden
  • Donald Trump
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Barack Obama
  • present-day Michael Jordan
  • The Rock
  • Bill Murray
  • Kevin Hart
  • Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson
free sluffy

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 08:04:11 am »
  • Kim Kardashian
  • Kanye West
  • Joe Biden
  • Donald Trump
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Barack Obama
  • present-day Michael Jordan
  • The Rock
  • Bill Murray
  • Kevin Hart
  • Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson

i had the idea of doing like a NBA Jam Celebrity Edition where it features players and teams from the world of politics and entertainment. i was thinking of having a Democrat and Republican team, Crips vs bloods, team Naruto vs One Piece and more.

I have yet to play On Fire edition but i saw a trailer for it and i saw they already incorporated a lot of the ideas i had in mind lol

but yeah thanks for the suggestions and sorry if i may go missing and not reply for a while. a lot of times when i go on forums and start commenting i end up procrastinating too much. like i end up spending a lot of time reading threads, comments, anticipating replies, engaging in discussions or i start fantasizing about stupid stuff lol

one thing i haven't anticipated yet is the process involved in creating a patch. i have patched snes and saturn games before, but i've never created one myself.

if anyone has some insight on it feel free to fill me in. i'll do a deep research on it later but i'll love to hear a breakdown.

like dont patches require certain requirements to be met first before patching? like i remember it needs to be a specific rom or iso, or that it needs to be headerless or some shit.

i ask because i wanted to know if i can patch a already modded game. one of the ideas i have is to make the ref replacement optional where i can have a folder with different Refs that people can optionally insert.

so i'm not sure if that's possible. And what formats are recommended? i remember using IPS, is that suitable for Playstation patches?

anyway back to work i go

December 19, 2020, 08:18:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
oh man i just saw this trailer for Space Jam 2: A New Legacy and they having a xbox contest for people to submit a fan game featuring lebron and the looney tunes characters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjtWasmVkYw

i might wanna create something lol i can only code in Lua though. after my NBA jam Posterized edition patch imma try to conceptualize something

December 22, 2020, 10:23:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Currently working on Kevin Durant. KD will be the last player i add before i start preparing for release.

I recently added a Cyberpunk looking character, here's a playtest of her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcooTHfECQ

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 10:23:43 pm by ponlork »

sevin0seven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 11:11:32 am »
Awesome project! I'm an NBA/video game purist so I'm excited someone finally made an NBA Jam (other than the SNES version) update with the current roster. PS1 version is a great choice!  8)

Here's some of my opinion. Instead of having Sonya as the referee; how about putting a real ref in the game instead? heck how about putting some popular WNBA players as hidden characters as well.

If you need help with NBA player ratings, let me know.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 01:58:33 pm »
Awesome project! I'm an NBA/video game purist so I'm excited someone finally made an NBA Jam (other than the SNES version) update with the current roster. PS1 version is a great choice!  8)

Here's some of my opinion. Instead of having Sonya as the referee; how about putting a real ref in the game instead? heck how about putting some popular WNBA players as hidden characters as well.

If you need help with NBA player ratings, let me know.

Thanks! NBA Jam is one of my favorite games and I've been yearning for someone to do it too. I started learning how to hack PS1 games back in April 2019 with Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and RPG Maker and thankfully the amount of experience i gain there made modifying NBA Jam a little easier and i've learned a lot while working on NBA Jam that I'm eager to apply the knowledge on my previous projects.

NBA jam is the first project that i'm on the verge of releasing. Don't expect too much on the initial release though lol i just want to put something out that can give people a taste of what's in store. It's only going to have 3 current NBA Players, Lebron james, Kevin Durant, Luka Doncic, 2 legendary players Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan), and two hidden players The Hulk and Cyberpunk girl.

Then there's some minor graphical fixes and the slam dunk posterize feature. A full roster update may not be available for some time but the plan is to keep pushing out updates with new rosters and fixes in the upcoming months.

Having a real ref is a good idea. Only ref that i'm familiar with is Dick Bavetta lol got any recommendations?

I was planning on making the ref a optional thing. the sprites for the ref is actually compressed where some frames are bigger than others, so i had a bit of a probem with inserting Sonya as her frames are more detailed meaning it's bigger in filesize. And in order to mod the frame size need to be equal or less with the original. That's why some of the frames for Sonya appear less detailed cuz i had to reduce the colors. there's clever ways around it such as reducing the frame count or changing the order of the frames but i haven't figured that out yet.

But yeah that's one of the reasons why i wanted to make it optional cuz i wasn't really satisfied with the quality.

Well i'm not really a fan of the WNBA but there are some standout players i would like to add, maybe Te’a Cooper, Liz Cambage, Becky hammon, Candace Parker and that's all that really comes to mind. One thing about adding female players in NBA Jam TE is they can only have shoulder length hair.

That's why i was thinking about modding NBA Hangtime with female characters only because it can have long hair players. And it looks like it has bigger head sprites. i would also like to replace the body with female bodies.

Do you have any idea of what Luka Doncic and Kevin Durant's ratings are? here's the format it's in:

Speed:   Power:
3 Pts:   Steal:
Dunks:   Block:
 Pass:   Cltch:

VeganDoritos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 08:37:47 pm »
Thank you for your time & effort Ponlork. Is it possible for you to release a seperate patch with just the graphical fixes & maybe Q.O.L. improvements (no roster changes)?

sevin0seven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 03:14:38 am »
Here's what I would rate these two said players:

Luka:
Speed: 6
3pts: 8
Dunks: 3
Pass: 9
Power: 5
Steal: 3
Block: 2
Cltch: 9

Durant:
Speed: 7
3pts: 9
Dunks: 7
Pass: 5
Power: 6
Steal: 4
Block: 7

As for referee options. There is Marc Davis, Ken Mauer, Tony Brothers, but Dick Bavetta sounds like a solid choice if you choose to include the refs. I do hope you can add one more current player. Stephen Curry.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 11:51:52 am »
Thank you for your time & effort Ponlork. Is it possible for you to release a seperate patch with just the graphical fixes & maybe Q.O.L. improvements (no roster changes)?

you're welcome and sure i would ultimately like to release a Arcade Edition separately where i try to get it to look and play as close to the Arcade version as possible. At the moment there's still a lot of graphical and gameplay fixes i would like to correct, and the facial dunk feature needs tweaking. I want to add a option to slow the game speed down a notch too. At the moment i don't think the graphical fixes alone are adequate enough for a standalone release but later for sure.

Here's what I would rate these two said players:

Luka:
Speed: 6
3pts: 8
Dunks: 3
Pass: 9
Power: 5
Steal: 3
Block: 2

Durant:
Speed: 7
3pts: 9
Dunks: 7
Pass: 5
Power: 6
Steal: 4
Block: 7

As for referee options. There is Marc Davis, Ken Mauer, Tony Brothers, but Dick Bavetta sounds like a solid choice if you choose to include the refs. I do hope you can add one more current player. Stephen Curry.

thanks for the insight. Steph Curry's dad is actually in the game lol i might squeeze Steph in there. But i really need to start researching how to create a patch, and i want like to create promotional stuff for it too like designing a logo, beta testing it against people, getting footage to create a trailer.

I'm about to complete Kevin Durant today. I also want to test it on a real playstation. I pulled my PSone out the garage but the video output is not working. So now I need to find my PS2.

MadZiontist

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2020, 04:34:20 pm »
I'm super excited for this. I've been waiting for somebody to mod the PS1 version for awhile now. Glad to see Jordan's going to be added. I'd like to see all of the other omitted NBA stars added, as well as the legends.

As far as special characters, there's been a lot of good suggestions so far. One I'd like to see is Spider-Man. I think he's an excellent fit due to the basketball scenes from the movies (where Peter dunks on Flash and breaks the backboard). Also, as a nod to The Professor's Spider-Man basketball videos on YouTube.

I'd also like to see the banned characters from the arcade version, that are in rev. 1 and rev. 2. A good reference for that is:

https://tcrf.net/NBA_Jam_Tournament_Edition_(Arcade)

Keep up the good work!

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 02:30:02 am »
I'm super excited for this. I've been waiting for somebody to mod the PS1 version for awhile now. Glad to see Jordan's going to be added. I'd like to see all of the other omitted NBA stars added, as well as the legends.

As far as special characters, there's been a lot of good suggestions so far. One I'd like to see is Spider-Man. I think he's an excellent fit due to the basketball scenes from the movies (where Peter dunks on Flash and breaks the backboard). Also, as a nod to The Professor's Spider-Man basketball videos on YouTube.

I'd also like to see the banned characters from the arcade version, that are in rev. 1 and rev. 2. A good reference for that is:

https://tcrf.net/NBA_Jam_Tournament_Edition_(Arcade)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yeah i remember seeing the professor's streetball videos dressed as Spider man a few years back. when i first saw clips of it i instantly knew it was him in disguise.

I haven't seen the spiderman movie yet. the scene sounds cool. And for sure i'll add some of the banned characters.

sigh it looks like i'm not going to meet my December goal. I think i have Tourette syndrome, i've never been diagnosed but this past week my tics been going nonstop out of control and i can't focus. but luckily i'm close to wrapping up the first release so i'm aiming for the first week of January.

i really wanted to add some last minute additions like steph curry and changing some team logos but i'm going to have to take a break and retreat for a while until i get my tics under control.

Thanks for the link. i love browsing through tcrf.net and viewing various assets hidden by the developers.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 04:10:56 am »
got my laptop from the repair shop and first thing i did was test out Duckstation. this is my first time using it and it's quite impressive. I followed ETA Prime's guide on how to set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtdGUS1H0c

I'm nearing the finish line. Finally got around to fixing that graphical glitch where it used the wrong head sprite when players are pushed to the floor. I literally had to edit each player's sprite sheet, 185 total. took me 3 days but I did it. Now i just need to design a logo and that's it. I might add Stephen Curry as a last minute addition depending on how i feel. Oh and I still need to research the subject of creating rom patches.

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2021, 11:31:26 pm »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:41:54 pm by ponlork »

dafamily

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2021, 01:16:47 am »
Thanks for the awesome release bro, it works perfectly!  I noticed on your trailer that you said you are going to show us how to change the in-game music!!  That would be awesome so we wouldn't get copyright strikes from Youtube lol!!!

Thanks again man, for all your hard work!  Looking forward to the next update man ;)

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 07:06:41 am »
Thanks for the awesome release bro, it works perfectly!  I noticed on your trailer that you said you are going to show us how to change the in-game music!!  That would be awesome so we wouldn't get copyright strikes from Youtube lol!!!

Thanks again man, for all your hard work!  Looking forward to the next update man ;)

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah I think I'll record a video tutorial on inserting your own music later today. I've just been exhausted.

The other day I stayed up all night trying to create a trailer and push the update out on 1/31/21. But then I realize that today is 2/1/21, i should have released the 21 mod today lol oh well.

And yeah the custom soundtrack is very easy. You just need a audio program like Audacity which lets you convert audio to .wav. I personally use Sony Acid 6.0 which i had for like 15 years haha

Thanks again for trying it out. I hope to keep making updates to add new players and fixes soon. I'm thinking 8 new players every update.

February 03, 2021, 04:04:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I uploaded a Tutorial on how to replace the Soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCOtPWHpfRw
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:04:50 am by ponlork »

resurrecta

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 04:33:16 pm »
Thank you for this mod. I have tested it and I was pleasantly surprised. Could you be willing to pm me or post the Jordan face files? I want to puzzle items together for the arcade version. I did some work already, but I'm bugged by how you go the correct angles on these players, hence the request.

I hope you'll achieve your goal.

Also, I noticed indeed a couple of things upon revisiting NBA JAM TE on the PSX.
In comparison to the Saturn release, I noticed a couple of things right out of the box.
The difficulty is brutal compared to the Saturn game. The Saturn difficulties and AI is just very different.
Also, your team mate has a weird issue where he passes the ball back very often. This isn't the case on the Saturn.
Maybe you can find out why it happens.

Also, I know that player ratings are subject to opinion. But, when reviewing Jordan, I noticed something.
You gave him a lower rating in steals than Scottie Pippen. While Pippen is maxed out, Jordan got Defense player of the year awards and more average steals. So it's like, when you throw Jordan in there, he has to be a 9 and Scottie slightly nerfed to an 8.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:50:41 pm by resurrecta »

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 03:22:49 am »
You're welcome, I plan on releasing a new update this month which will feature the 2021 NBA All-star starting lineup. So far I've added Kahwi Leonard and Kyrie Irving, hopefully I can finish it before All star weekend but I'm doubtful.

Sure, here's my sprite sheet for Jordan's heads. I used Xavier McDaniel's head as a reference:

I'm surprised you were able to get the head sprites working in the Arcade version. originally i wanted to mod the Arcade version but i remember reading this thread about it on arcade-museum.com and the prospect of it didn't seem very promising.
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/nba-jam-te-roster-hack-interest-thread.405600/

For Jordan's graphics I went through a lot of revisions. before I took most of the images from the movie Space Jam but the captures came out too soft. Then in December of 2020 I re-did it with mostly images from his Bulls playing days, and i kept one face from space jam which is the one where he did that monster dunk face.

I plan on revising him again since I've gotten a little better at sprite art. And I'm going to replace his portrait with one from the Bulls era. it's actually kinda hard to find high quality jordan portraits from the 90s Bulls era. back then the NBA didnt have media day photoshoots so finding high quality images is a bit difficult but I think I've Founds some portraits that will look good.

As for my method for finding images from various angles, I just do a ton of Googling lol sometimes i use duckduckgo or I search on foreign websites. Japan and China has some rare images. Oh and then there's Getty Images. Once i gather a considerable amount of images I just go through them all until i find the right angle. Sometimes it takes trial and error because i may insert one head angle but it looks off in the game so i switch to a different one. It's meticulous work but for Jordan i gotta give him his airness the royal treatment.

when i first started it used to take me 18+ hours to complete one player. Now it takes me roughly 4-6hrs per player, depending on the quality control. so yeah it requires a lot of work, not to mention finding the right images, rescaling it, ensuring that it looks right. then Playtesting it and reviewing performing the maneuvers to check all the angles look okay.

Yeah the port was originally developed as a PSX launch title. here's a article detailing the process of porting it: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/porting-nba-jam-tournament-edition-16-bit-arcade-playstation-excerpt

They had to learn new hardware and it was a bit of a struggle, and they were under a deadline too. Later they would release it for Saturn, and there was a PAL and JPN release that fixed a lot of the CPU absurdity. I'm thinking about modding the Japanese version but I don't see the rom available online anywhere. i purchased it though and i would say that's the best version. It's also entirely in English. The PAL version is identical to the JPN release except it's PAL resolution and 50fps so slower gameplay. but then again the slower paced game play might be more accurate to the Arcade.

There are a few things that the PSX has that the Saturn version doesn't though.

1. When players do a super dunk where they go up into the air, in the psx ver the camera pans up into the ceiling and there's cameras flashing. In the Saturn ver the player just goes off the screen and the camera only pans up a certain height and there's no camera flashes

2. the player font text in the PSX ver resembles the arcade ver more. in the Saturn ver there's a spacer in between the "Press start" txt which makes it look sloppy. The camera is more zoomed in on the Saturn ver making the Player names and Giant ball indicator obstruct the action on the floor more.

3. PSX ver has two FMV clips during gameplay, one for Halftime and another for Post game. The saturn version uses the same halftime FMV clip for both Halftime and Postgame.

4. the announcer commentary is buggy in the Saturn version. Tim constantly call the players names everytime they touch the ball and rarely do you hear two clips going together when a player goes in for a bucket and makes a bucket. in the PSX ver there's usually two audio clips.

5. The Saturn ver is zoomed in a little more. Bigger sprites dont mean better graphics. The game has a sprite scaling feature so they can make players 20 ft tall if they want to. the security guard in the crowd, he's not transparent. there's a black background color behind him.
and his head reaches the top of the screen. That's zoomed in way too much.

Pretty sure they made the game specifically for the Playstation and then for the Saturn release they tried to make the PSX version work within Saturn's hardware instead of designing it for the Saturn in mind.

I also notice in the PSX and Saturn ports, the players inbound the ball longer than the arcade. Actually when u do a goal tend they inbound the ball quick, which is the opposite of how it's supposed to be. In the arcade ver, a goal tend will have players take longer to inbound the ball, normal action they inbound the ball fast. So the PSX and Saturn ver got it backwards.

Thanks for the player ratings suggestions. I need all the help i can get in that department. Honestly i typically look at the ratings from other games, and basketball stats to determine the attributes. I'm not really confident in that department but yeah looking at MJ's stats for steals, they are pretty impressive during the 80s and early 90s. But then during the second 3-peat run it seems to dwindle and I probably have more vivid memories from the mid 90s bulls era.

But then again, stats can be misleading because Dennis Rodman got Defensive player of the year and his steal stats aren't very impressive. I guess they look at his aggressive hustle defense and his ability to force turn overs and clamp down on defense. Midway did give Rodman a 7 for steal. They also gave him a 7 for dunks but in Hangtime they dropped his dunks to 3. I remember they originally gave Reggie Miller a rating of 3 for 3 pointers but in T.E they bump it up to 9.

As for pippen, i didn't modify his attributes. I just kept his original NBA Jam attribtues. But yeah i probably should lower his steal down to a 8 and boost Jordan to a 9.

----------------------------

While I'm here I probably should update my progress:

Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard playtest:
https://youtu.be/y9LZruVkjA4?t=5906

resurrecta

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 06:00:35 pm »
You even impressed me more. I honestly kind of guessed you "googled" the images. But the work is just insane.
I mean for the famous guys, the angles exist, sure... But, it's probably way tougher trying to get other old school players in. As for Kobe, there's a maybe that the N64 sprites of NBA Hangtime can serve for "fro" Kobe.

I was exploring the Space Jam game, even on Saturn, but the sprites are just too small.
https://ibb.co/CnPZYFh This is the MJ portrait I cut and retouched. Feel free to use.

I noticed indeed some fine details that make the PSX version fun in its own right. Of course, there's the obvious "polygon" version of the on fire. But I also like how they added the orange effect to the player names. I never knew there were fixes in the Jap and Pal versions. I'm learning here and that's coming from a huge fan. Well, I found the Jap rom easily. I won't link up to avoid issues. But people can take a look in the direction of psxplanet at their own discretion. Edit: I tested the JAP NTSC version and omg, you're right! It has the hard needed bug fixes. It fixes many AI issues out of the box. I'll take a look at the PAL version later on just for comparison. But indeed, the JAP PSX version seems to now be the best home console. I only wished they had used the arcade crowd sounds (lol).

Well about the arcade remake. One of Paul's friends took a look at it for me and confirmed, the graphics can be swapped and some slots for extra's are available. I heard stuff about the sounds being swappable too. But I can't confirm.
By the way, you did an awesome job on the announcer sounds.

I don't know how far you can go into the coding department... But I suggest to take a look at the College Slam code. While people say it's rightfully a clone, there are some major differences for the purists.
The On Fire effect is diffferent, it has more and (imo) cooler powerup items and hotspots. Also, it has that giant scoreboard when you do a dunk AND the A.I. is fixed from the Jam TE version.
And perhaps here and there... some heads might be good bases...

BIG THANKS again on the Jordan head, this really helps me out as to a "template" of sorts.

Also, you're right about the Rodman statistics... There isn't an exact science. And I'm sure for most people it can become an endless debate.So thanks for taking the suggestion to heart cause Jordan was simply better at stealing than Pippen.

Perhaps some hiddens can be ported from Hangtime... Even there, I think, every single person you meet, has their own requests. I just bring up Hangtime because in essence, the heads just need ripping and perhaps a tiny recolor.

Good work on Irving and Leonard, they look very convincing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:38:03 am by resurrecta »

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 04:55:37 am »
Not sure how i missed your reply but thanks. I sure would like to mod the N64 version of Hangtime but im not really familiar with the N64. I do plan on looking into the PS1 version of Hangtime soon.

Sometimes the official NBA youtube channel has some great looking portraits of Kobe as the thumbnail. I plan on replacing Kobe's portrait in the next release too with Fro Kobe.

One of the ideas i have is to make a NBA Jam Arcade Edition mod for the PS1 where i swap all the sounds with the Arcade, and have it play as much like the Arcade as possible. I like the sounds of the Arcade much more. Yeah the PS1 version may sound more clean, like ive watched a NBA Jam comparison video and the guy ranked the Arcade version beneath the Saturn and PS1 sound and he argue that the voice clips sound more clean or whatever.

he also thinks the Saturn graphics are better because it has bigger sprites but anyway, just because its raw and unfiltered with 44100hz doesn't mean it sound better i mean the arcade version added some effects to make Tim sound like a NBA broadcaster and there was way more dialogue in the Arcade. And even just the sound of the ball bouncing, the sneakers squeaking, everything just sounded better to my ears in the Arcade version.

I guess the best way to explain it is like how some people prefer the retro 2d pixel art aesthetic over the 3D graphics today. Like with the On Fire edition, it looked nice sure, but it didnt draw me in like the classic Jam. And the classic Jam had a lot of these "Oh shit!" moments, with the backboard breaking, Ohhh shit! the monster dunks, buzzer beaters, there were a lot of "Hype" moments that the 3D version just doesn't have.

one nuance i notice with 3D games is like when they do a full 360, their 3d Model may just circle around while the character is standing still. it doesn't really look realistic when their body is just moving circling along with the analog controls while they're idling.

In 2D games they usually have unique sprites for every movement. Hell even the heads in On fire edition is much less than NBA Jam. In Jam there's 14 head sprites used whereas with On Fire they only use about 6-8.

But anyway, sorry for my little spiel lol as for the Japanese version, wow i remember trying to find the ISO but couldn't find it. i'll check out that site. I believe it's possible to analyze the exe of the Japanese version with ghidra and copy the portions where the CPU AI is located and swap it over to the US version.

I just need to locate where it's at. and i'm really just a amatuer at this reverse engineering stuff, going through those offsets is literally like finding a needle in a haystack. But once i pinpoint it i believe i can fix it. Just takes a great deal of time. I did try to overwrite the USA version with the Japanese exe but once it get to tip off it freezes.

The only downside to the Japanese version is that they removed the unused players, B.J. Armstrong, Gerald Wilkins, Monty Williams, and James Worthy which is only noticeable for modders. These extra assets can become useful. Like the game compresses the portrait images, so in order to mod we need to replace files with equal or less than the original file size.

normally for this to work i would have to ensure that the photo i'm replacing with doesn't exceed the original, so i may have to degrade the photo quality a bit and reduce the colors from 256 to 200 or even down to 180 to make sure it fits.

But one method around this is i can overwrite a portrait with a larger file, it just bleeds into the next portrait which will make that player's portrait come out corrupt.

Well with the 4 unused players what i can do is inject a high quality portrait directly before the unused player portrait image, so that way it'll bleed into the unused portrait thus giving me a unrestricted filesize image i can use. Then i can modify the code to swap that portrait to display for the right player. I did this for MJ, lebron and kobe.

The hidden characters don't have this limitation actually. Those sprites are located in a different castle and we can utilize all the available space for a 64x56 256 color image.

So yeah without the unused players i cant really do this trick anymore. but i can do is either swap a portrait file with a player from an active roster to use one for a player who has a bigger portrait size. it sound convoluted i know lol another thing i can do is merge two active players then deactivate one player from the game. i did this with Ron harper and Derek Harper. Since they both use the same sound for their last name, i thought i'll replace Ron Harper with Jordan and remove Derek Harper out the lineup because i also replaced Harper's name with Jordan so it'll conflict as Derek Harper share that sound file.

I'm sure there's a much easier way to simply edit the value of what sound clip to use but i haven't found that section of code yet so this will do for now. when i figure it out i'll reinsert Derek Harper back in.

which also bring me to another problem, I notice NBA Jam has about 9 players with the same last name. There's Tim hardaway/Penny hardaway, David Robinson/Glen Robinson/Cliff robinson, Ron Harper/Derek Harper, and Kenny Anderson/Nick Anderson.

So i'm going to either have to find current NBA players who share the same last name to make it easier, or i'm going to just have to locate where the sound clips are stored and change the values around. maybe switch it out with a Hidden player name. There's also unused sounds.

You're welcome and thanks for the Jordan portrait. it looks really nice. Good luck on your project. I would love to see a Arcade mod of NBA Jam and i know many fans including myself are yearning for that.

One thing i noticed with the USA PSX version is the steals, it seem that quick hands are always enabled because players can swipe the ball easier. Even when i'm playing with someone like Shawn Kemp who's steal rating is a 3 or 4, i'm able to steal balls with relative ease with him.

After i finish this 1.1 update i'm going to look into hangtime. i've been itching to peek inside it but i've been holding out until my currnt goals are finished because i suck at multitasking. i needa focus on one project almost entirely before i move on to something else.

--------

Oh and I recently inserted Nikola Jokic.

Here's playtest footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDeGoZ0CO0

March 04, 2021, 09:23:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
oh i forgot to speak on College Slam. i remember people criticizing it for being a repackaging of NBA Jam TE but i dont really think that's fair, and even if it does use the same engine, i don't see what the big problem is. many games from Fighting games, FPS, platformers and sports titles use the same engine to develop a game, upgrade or sequel so i dont see what the big deal is.

with that said i also thought there were significant changes that made it stand out on it's own. like they added a alley oop feature, time outs, new powerups, and the court graphics looks really nice. they even added a transparent shadow for the players and the giant jumbotron (missing in the saturn version) is really cool. I dont think ive seen any PS1 sports game utilize that feature before. normally they just got some generic video playing in a loop but this one is actually video of the in-game action the floor.

and they also fixed the retard AI and a few other grips. like u ever notice how your CPU partner may have a clear path to the rim and he decides to stop at the freethrow line to shoot a mid range shot instead of driving to the goal? well that was fixed in College slam where the CPU goes all the way. They even added new dunks.

So i think people tend to parrot someone else's opinion and go along with the herd mentality. kinda like that movie The Wizard where everybody says its a Commercial for Nintendo. sure one could view it that way, but people act like they cant grasp the concept of hype. Seeing Super Mario 3 for the first time in theaters was a major event. Even watching it now is pretty exciting to me. Had good acting, charm, and the nintendo stuff was just a backdrop. kinda like when we watch a anime centered around Basketball we dont go saying it's a commercial for basketball or it's a commercial for Jordan or whatever so that type of stuff irks me cuz i know a lot of people lack individuality and they just going along with what someone else says. I'm kinda annoyed by influencers too cuz most of them sound fake to me. they do half ass research and more rushing to push a video out and they piggy backing off what others say or they feeding to their crowd and saying things they think their base want to hear but whatever im jus talking shit lol

we never know some of these ppl may be getting paid to promote some shit. if we wanna talk about commercial sounding mothafuccaz these are the guys who sound like some infomercial truman show no individual thought sounding ass ppl who go with the collective and more concerned about pleasing their advertisers but hey maybe im just old school. im not afraid to sound like a idiot or ask dumb questions, everyone these days feel like they gotta present themselves in some perfect way where they're afraid of saying the wrong things or wording things wrong or having an opinion that is not aligned with others or whatever. who cares. be free is how i view things

before i looked into the Saturn version of NBA Jam and college slam, i just assumed it was better than the PS1 ver because every comparison video and comment i see of it say that the Saturn version is better. it wasnt until i played it for myself when i realize that these people are full of shit. they going along with what everybody says instead of analyzing it themselves.

oh and back to the topic of College Slam, although it's a decent game i dont think i'll be the one to mod it lol i would like to look into the code though because i know those unused frames of animation they used are in NBA Jam TE as well. The main reason i prefer Jam is because i like the characters having distinction, like they have their own portraits, distinguishable face, their own names and the announcer even calls their name. That little bit adds a lot to it. I also dont like time outs haha
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:31:55 am by ponlork »

resurrecta

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2021, 12:27:12 pm »
My replies arrive late because they’re being moderated as I joined this forum just to be able to reply to this. I’m in essence a fan of NBA Jam and MK. So to me, this hack is “the bomb”.

I didn’t actually imply modding the N64 version of Hangtime, but I know this version is the only one that has Kobe. But I never compared sizes to know if the heads are useful or not (more on that in this reply).

You are talking about Jenovi’s comparison. I gave him a like but… there are many aspects for each version where he dropped the ball.
*The SNES sound is in fact cleaner than the one on the Genesis. Genesis sounds like a “sore throat” version of Tim’s quotes. But I do agree that it’s a big point that the SNES never had a soundtrack during the gameplay. If even possible, I hope some hack could add a simplistic midi in it because that’s only part the Genesis beats the SNES version. Another thing is that the SNES and Genesis used reverse scaling in regular Jam, which I hoped would have been hacked by now to restore it.
*I heavily disagree on his arcade analysis. While it’s true that the arcade doesn’t use “redbook audio” and it does sound less clean, it has MORE voice samples, better ones and more nostalgic ones that are actually missing in any other version. When you play the arcade, the sound gets you way more involved into the action. Also in the graphics department, arcade just edges all the versions because everything that came after the arcade version, just looked a tad more “cartoony”. While it’s minimal in the PSX/Saturn, it’s still  there (compare the cheerleaders as for an easy example). But still, these are the best ports even if you have to set the timer at its fastest (since when is that a problem?)
*The DOS port… Jenovi is right that the sounds sound great. I’m not 100% sure if these are the same as the PSX because they sound slightly "crisper".. Also, Tim has a website where he records some stuff for money. Don’t get me wrong, it’s low priority, but to what I would want to achieve, I’d ask Tim what he’d charge to re-announce the arcade ones of whatever… But that’s “music for the future”. Other than that, the DOS version here, I can’t get it played through the CD on DosBox so I had to rely on a no cd hack and it just has full xinput controls… It works fine here.
*The Jaguar port, is indeed a technological marvel… But Jenovi heavily overrates it. It has huge issues with collision boxes. Sometimes the ball just randomly bounces off players. And, while looking good, it uses a reduced set of players to display on court. Just not every player is there. It’s kind of like the SNES and Genesis, but just superiorly executed.
*The PSX port. It’s better scaled to the arcade than the Saturn version. You can just “dodge players” more easily in the arcade because it feels like there’s more room on court. I miss that in the Saturn. The audience sounds super annoying since they replaced it from the arcade (the DOS one seems to sounds slightly different). The A.I. is of course super rushed, but since I played the Jap version (thanks for that), I’m convinced it’s the best port. Both PSX and Saturn versions have some sprite stretching issues in the audience which can be easily fixed.
*The Saturn version has nice and bright colors, which is a matter of preference. Other than that, it plays well, it looks nice on screen. And because of the A.I, this was my preferred port until Jap NBA JAM PSX. The more zoomed chars look modern and huge but at the same time, look at how close the head come to the backboard (Jaguar has it too).

Anyhow, while I’m not an expert, I have been down with Jam for ages. So, my personal goal now, is to fix the actual Jam lineup. Because many versions just have different players in it. And NONE of them represents the 94-95 season correctly, nor the 95-96 for that matter.
So I made a list of what’s needed and what can be dropped from the arcade to use Saturn/PSX assets to give each team 4 players when expanded. To my surprise, not too many players needed to be created and some can even use Hangtime rips.

On another note, comparing versions is a hell because… as you pointed out: the game zooms and some versions (Saturn) are just more zoomed. To compare sprites, you need to compare the base sprite before it’s zoomed. Which is easier said than done.

But your project is very dope. I mean, my goal is to build a correct baseline. But to get a modern roster is the fresh air the game needs.
You claim to be an amateur, but I mean, the stuff is going nicely.

The USA PSX steal issue is in part due to the coding. Try disabling CPU assistance, even at easy, the game can be difficult. When you do this to the JAP version, it plays just like the Saturn version (with CPU assistance disabled). And you’ll notice, the stealing is as it should be.

. Excellent progress on the Joker, you work fast.

Yeah, I only brought up College Slam, because like you said, I don’t agree with how low it’s rated just for using the Jam engine. And well, I brought it up because the unique stuff might be worth adding to actual NBA JAM TE. I mean, the Alley-oop system is like a prelude to Hangtime. The tip-in dunks are new too, rather than tip-in layups only. The Jumbotron indeed is so cool. And when using powerup items, it’s actually more fun than JAM TE because of the new stuff (even though invisible is a bit tough to use). But when bush comes to shove, I’d pick Pippen over “small forward” any time of day of course. College Slam feels like the “unofficial update” of the JAM Engine. For some weird reason though, the PSX version makes a mention of Midway in the copyright while the Saturn version doesn’t. And of course, the Saturn also kept that old on fire effect.
Another point about College Slam, is that the back cover of the case showed that it was possible to shatter backboards. I haven't succeeded as I play it to limited and of course the game has less great dunkers. I'll attempt it using the always on fire cheat and get back on that. Because that would mean the code is there and so are the sprites. Edit: https://ibb.co/VVfKkgs . College Slam has the backboard breaking as a PSX exclusive it seems. Don't ask me how I did it. I played like a ton of games doing dunk after dunk but that didn't trigger the backboard shatter. Then I noticed that on the cover screenshot, it had the powerup items enabled. After playing a couple of games, I got the backboard shatter as seen in the picture. So, since the College Slam is a huge derrivate of NBA JAM TE (even some hidden assets are on the rom), chances are big, you could restore the backboard shatter to JAM TE.

On another point, thanks a million again for the spritesheet. I noticed you used a mix of early to mid nineties Jordan and “old man Jordan”.
Here's my first real attempt of perhaps improving a frame. You can take a look and tell me your unsalted opinion about it .
https://www.sendspace.com/file/o3hojv

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:54:05 am by resurrecta »