News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: “Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.”  (Read 1964 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: vikfield

Shadowrun by Sega Genesis, is an action and RPG game based on the popular PnP role-playing game Shadowrun. This series combines the classic fantastic elements of role-playing games with cyberpunk element, mixing magic with the matrix, achieving a unique gameplay.

There are two versions of Shadowrun in the 16 bit generation, which as it is easy to deduce, are the 1993 Nintendo version and the 1994 SEGA version. The main difference between both productions, is that the SEGA version delves more into the Shadowrun universe, allowing a nonlinear free-style gameplay with a narrative more typical of a role-playing game. Also, it offers the opportunity to test some the characteristics features of the franchise such as forming a team with different archetypes, buying and accessorize firearms, make a powerful spell book, installing cybernetic improvements called cyberwear on your characters, hacking the matrix with a fully upgrade cyberdeck, and above all, the great opportunity to realize a Shadowrun!

There is nothing wrong with the Nintendo version, but if you are a fan of RPGs you probably want to try the SEGA version.

Some flaws that some people mention in the original version of Sega are that some missions can be somewhat repetitive, and the punishing difficulty for the reason that it is not easy to progress in the game, since the money and experience points rewards are low; also the combat can be sometimes difficult since, although there is a very decent arsenal, in practice it is reduced to one or two useful weapons.

The main objective of this new hack, Shadowrun 2058, is to eliminate these drawbacks and at the same time get closer to the original rules of Shadowrun second edition, which is the generation on which this game is based. Some of the improvements offered by this new installment are: better rewards for fulfilled missions, total review of weapons and armor allowing more fluid and less frustrating combats, cheaper and more accessible objects and improvements, and many other improvements detailed in the project page.

If you ever played Shadowrun and you didn't like it because of the aforementioned flaws, or maybe you really liked but you expected some things to improve, the hack   developer hope you give it a second chance and now you enjoy a more complete experience this time you run in the shadows!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
I've tried the Genesis version several times but always failed to get into it. There's kind of a steep introductory curve, and I feel like it's something I'd enjoy but I have a really hard time getting past that initial hump. Any tips?

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Correction: There are 3 16-bit Shadowrun games. You forgot the Japanese-only Sega CD version.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody completed a translation of that game yet. There were a few attempts but none have completed one as far as I'm aware.

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
There is one slowly progressing along. I tried asking about it over on the translation groups website, and was told that there was no interest in it (from fans). And that's just dead wrong, as I've been a HUGE fan of Shadowrun ever since playing the SNES game + Shadowrun Returns (thanks Kickstarter) many years later.

I've played through the Genesis/Megadrive game, and it's alright. It's cyberspace / Matrix bits are wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the SNES game (more Deus Ex), but the overall experience is far lower. The music is massively inferior and the story is half half. What it does better is provide a more accurate version of the universe and is more in line with the actual PnP game.

SNES game though. FAR superior.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
I tried asking about it over on the translation groups website, and was told that there was no interest in it (from fans). And that's just dead wrong, as I've been a HUGE fan of Shadowrun ever since playing the SNES game + Shadowrun Returns (thanks Kickstarter) many years later.
Maybe "there was no interest in it" meant "no one cared enough about it to help with anything at all".
There has to be a better life.

getter77

• View Profile
The Sega CD Shadowrun is extremely difficult work to hack and all else for it---which is the bulk of why it is a slow simmer project for the 1-maybe 2/3 people on the team handling it and other difficult projects.

Ironically, Shadowrun Returns holds more in common with it than the other prior Shadowrun games by a fair bit, and the Returns devs were unaware of it outright until after release when folks started rustling up about it.  Good ideas echoing across time and space~  8)

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
Well that's due to Greg Weisman who was the creator of the PnP game itself, being on the project + later Battletech (for Harebrained Schemes).

And for the record the response I got back when I asked about it was:

It’s not, or I’d have posted an update. I assure you it’s not, almost no one cares about it, lol.

I update when I have news to share.

In the case of Shadowrun Returns, that was a quasi sequel to the SNES game. I say quasi, as it had the main character out of the SNES game (Jake Armitage) in it, but only as a side character, and did not continue on the story. Beyond showing that he was still alive.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:18:34 am by icemann »

noneother

• View Profile
I've tried the Genesis version several times but always failed to get into it. There's kind of a steep introductory curve, and I feel like it's something I'd enjoy but I have a really hard time getting past that initial hump. Any tips?

It's very easy to get killed early on. The first thing you want to do is raise some money doing easy runs (in that bar in the upper-left corner of the first area) so you can buy some better weapons and healing items. Avoid anything that sounds like it'll involve fighting until you get a little stronger. You'll want to run if you get attacked on the street early on, and even that can be hard in the beginning, but it doesn't take too long before you improve enough that you can handle yourself, and then it's just a matter of saving often. Personally I've always used the Samurai build, and focused on firearms skills (to improve accuracy) and speed, then tried to spread things out. Once you become able to hack into the Matrix, you can make tons of money selling files you steal, and it's a big part of the game.

The beginning is definitely really rough. I remember my first impression being very negative. Once you get past that, though, it's a great non-linear RPG with a really involved world, especially for a 16-bit RPG. I like the SNES game too, but I really think the Genesis game is better once you get into it.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
The relevant link just goes to the guy's e-mail?

Edit: Is it proofread now in 1.4?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

MethidMan

• View Profile
I've come across a bug with this patch: there's a side-quest item that doesn't appear in a certain corp run. That would be the cyber-heart in the Fuchi building in Penumbra District. It's supposed to be found in a room with a level 4 maglock on the third floor.

I triggered the Stark side-quest, there are several indications it's there (Fuchi employees, database, etc.), I've looked in every safe in the third floor, but for some reason it's just a regular item in the safe (or nothing at all) in that room.

Without this item, I'm unable to get Stark on my team.

Windy-kun

• View Profile
There is one slowly progressing along. I tried asking about it over on the translation groups website, and was told that there was no interest in it (from fans). And that's just dead wrong, as I've been a HUGE fan of Shadowrun ever since playing the SNES game + Shadowrun Returns (thanks Kickstarter) many years later.

I've played through the Genesis/Megadrive game, and it's alright. It's cyberspace / Matrix bits are wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the SNES game (more Deus Ex), but the overall experience is far lower. The music is massively inferior and the story is half half. What it does better is provide a more accurate version of the universe and is more in line with the actual PnP game.

SNES game though. FAR superior.

I wish someone would hack the SNES game to add more areas or make it some kind of new experience. This hack is great, I want something similar with Jake's game. But it'll likely never happen.

On another note, when I played the old version of this hack I would run into this constant issue where I'd enter any bar to talk to a Johnson/Runner and the game would auto target stuff that was out of bounds constantly, sometimes softlocking me inside the bar because the game won't let you exit mid combat but I had nothing on screen to actually shoot at. Did anyone else have this issue?

galneon

• View Profile
Is it proofread now in 1.4?

I'd like to know this as well.

Stepperer

• View Profile
There is a bug in this patch - I cannot leave buildings, where mr Jonson's sitting - there is a green "target" mark out of bounds and all the exits are blocked, game counts you in combat ((

vikfield

• View Profile
There is a bug in this patch - I cannot leave buildings, where mr Jonson's sitting - there is a green "target" mark out of bounds and all the exits are blocked, game counts you in combat ((

Hello there

Go to pick system option in the debug mode, then jack out or finish the matrix run; when you exit the cyber space and then from the inventory menu, you can leave the building. This is a temporaly solution but i still work on this project; please, take a look to the readme file.

Thanks a lot for downloading

Iondogatus

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks:
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 06:45:12 am »
1)Can you bring some stages/areas and electric weapon from "techno clash".
2)Can you rewrite Shadowrun dialogs or all Joshua Story to Alfred Bester "Tiger, tiger" cyberpunk book.
3)Can you enchance cyberdeck OS to work with build-in intel assembler, to break out some nodes manually. And sale some asm book in soft shops containing specification to some node registers/IO ports.
4)Add work with electronic detail(transistors,controlers,diodes) manually, аnd put some electronic book in same shops.