After around 9 months, I finally finished version 1.2 of Megaman 1 The New Lands, where everything has been revamped in some way or another. I want to share it here before uploading it on the site, to gather some feedback. Please enjoy and tell me what do you think about it. "Default" is the normal version, and "No Skid" is the same, but without the deceleration when you stop walking, like in MM3 and onward.
Here on my thoughts on V1.2:
- Zap Man needs at least a few platforms and is too hard in the Wily Stages (too aggressive overall)
- Mega Man's special colors are gone, but I like no-helmet Mega Man all the same (even though he looks pretty weird on the Wily Boss screens with black backgrounds)
- Wily Stage 3 has unnecessary Spikes covering the walls at the beginning of the stage. They make jumps require pixel perfect platforming.
- The invisible water in Wily Stage 3 was frustrating, and led to needless deaths (only a small visual indicator popped up, and I thought it was a glitch).
- Two Sniper Joes seemed poorly placed IMO, one in Zap Man's stage and one in Wily Stage 2. These enemies guaranteed getting hit at least twice, as you had to jump up right into their fire to shoot them:
- This jump was not very fair (the one in the right corner, not where Mega Man is in the image), it felt like you had to jump at just the right height and put just the right amount of pressure on the jump button to avoid death:
- The new Yellow Devil fight was cool and a breath of fresh air for a Mega Man hack.
- The life bar changing colors on the Water Plant boss was a neat touch.
- After the hack has been out this long, it would be nice if we had a official robot master weakness chart. I tried putting one together during my playthrough:
Hunt Man - Dyna Man's weapon
Zap Man - Tint Man's Weapon
Dyna Man - Hunt Man's Weapon
Pyro Man - Hunt Man's Weapon
Tint Man - Pyro Man's Weapon
Cave Man - Dyna Man's Weapon
All that being said, I still had lots of fun, and I think this version is much better than the last one (especially Wily Stage 3). Thank you for putting in the effort to improve it, Timaeus!
P.S. - If you can find someone who could make custom cover art for The New Lands, that would be incredible. It would really help finalize all the work you've done and convince others that this is a project worth checking out.