News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How would I get an ips file from my rom hack?  (Read 1011 times)

Oolix

• View Profile
How would I get an ips file from my rom hack?
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:09 pm »
So i'm making a rom hack but how do I get an ips file from my .gba rom? I want to be able to distribute my rom hack for others to play.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: How would I get an ips file from my rom hack?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 06:13:03 am »
Just a quick note. If you are playing GBA hacker and are going above the 16 meg mark you will need something other than IPS. Some later GBA hackers went to UPS, personally I would probably go with something in the xdelta or bsdiff worlds (DS hackers tended to go for those).

If you are sticking below 16 megs (either not expanding there or not working on one of the 256Mbit titles) then carry on. There are a few downsides to IPS but most of them other than size are not such a problem as they are on older systems with headers occasionally being or not being there.

Edit and Cyneprepou4uk's choice is good. I quite like https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/13/ myself.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: How would I get an ips file from my rom hack?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:50:54 am »
Another quick note: Floating IPS has an additional format (this is handy because of the data limit mentioned above), and it also somehow makes IPS files that are slightly smaller.  I'd use that today over Lunar, if only because I can apply BPS patches with it and the format's getting more popular.