News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Anyone interested in finishing the Mizzurna Falls translation?  (Read 1493 times)

kikujade

• View Profile
It seems Gemini decided to stop working on Mizzurna Falls and released the files so that someone else may finish it.

To make matters worse someone decided to compile it and share it here (it has been since removed at the request of the author), and he got so angry that he also deleted the github with the source code of his work.

What a freaking tragedy for the ps1 translation scene. Between this and front mission 2 and alternative, I don't know which is worse.

Anyhoo, if anyone is remotely interested in finishing the translation try getting in touch with Gemini through Twitter, links below.

Story here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/paj7nv/twin-peaks-inspired-video-game-mizzurna-falls-localized-by-fans

Twitter discussion here:
https://twitter.com/REBehindtheMask/status/1156885541759197184?s=19

Lollie

• View Profile
    • Lollie
Re: Anyone interested in finishing the Mizzurna Falls translation?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:21:26 am »
It's a shame to see how Gemini's code was mishandled. I do hope other trustworthy developers/hackers can step up and figure out how to make this curiosity of a game behave. (edit: uhh this happened fast as hell lmao, hell yeah)

For anyone interested in the translation, it's worth linking Resident Evie's English translation scripts.
Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/dgzyac
(link source: Evie's Project Mizzurna tumblr page)

Also worth linking, if only for curiosity's sake: A separate patch by Blaw76 (aka hieitf76) & Nikita600, which supposedly replaces all Japanese text with IDs, allowing players to look up the translated line in a text file.
Link: https://twitter.com/Blaw76/status/1096031533033537538

The Read-Me file for this "Text IDs" patch happens to include a couple ideas for hacking that may be worth considering:
Basically, with just a font modification, we could have done a proper graphical DTE and probably insert all of the texts.

There is also another method, the actual text routine use 2 bytes per character (SHIFT-JIS). If it was modified to only use one byte per character, the whole translation could also be reinserted.

Nikita600 has earlier videos of their own attempt to get the English script into the game, using the original BIOS font. Although considering the release of the "Text IDs" patch above, I believe this attempt might've also been shelved. Here's the first 29 minutes of gameplay, right up until the game crashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysPjG3kgngI
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:10:26 am by Lollie »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:42:15 pm »
An anonymous hacker already knocked at my door tonite and we kept discussing for like 12 hours. Gave him my blessing, all the tools (including stuff not present on Github), instructions to setup the environment, and some hacking directions. I'll also be assisting him whenever he needs a hand with technicalities. So yeah, a trustworthy person has been finally found. Don't know how long it will take him to fix the remaining issues, but I'm sure he's capable.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

kikujade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 02:00:58 pm »
An anonymous hacker already knocked at my door tonite and we kept discussing for like 12 hours. Gave him my blessing, all the tools (including stuff not present on Github), instructions to setup the environment, and some hacking directions. I'll also be assisting him whenever he needs a hand with technicalities. So yeah, a trustworthy person has been finally found. Don't know how long it will take him to fix the remaining issues, but I'm sure he's capable.

Bless you holy man!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 06:56:34 pm »

Excellent. Turn the mishap around into rejuvenating interest in the game.