News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Breath of Fire II - enhancement patch/translation progress  (Read 7906 times)

RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: FloBo

D4S updated his blog about his enhancement/(re-)translation patch for Breath of Fire II recently.

Whilst the complete script has been translated into german tongue, about one third of script polishing of the german translation has been done up to now.

About the english retranslation of the script: PKGingo, the guy who works over the english script, reported that he's about 85% through it!!! If that's no nice news^^

For further information, feedback, etc. go to http://bof2.blogspot.com/!

Relevant Link: (http://bof2.blogspot.com/)

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Breath of Fire II - enhancement patch/translation progress
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 05:18:40 pm »
I can't wait for this translation! It's about time BoFII got the treatment it deserves
"I have come back from the dead, and am now Red Pison"

Shih Tzu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:16:32 pm »
No thanks to Capcom, who didn't even bother to fix their appallingly inept 10-year-old translation in the GBA rerelease.

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:47 pm »
Yeah, no crap! And it's the very LEAST they could've done too!

p4ch3c0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 10:10:00 pm »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!111one11!! Now I'm going to be able to play through the entire game!

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 11:06:42 pm »
Ohhh, you could play thru the entire old "translation" too...it just was far from enjoyable to do.

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:03:21 am »
Definetly looking forward to this. I don't think I've ever played BoF2 start to finish yet, and a proper translation (and the other goodies for the graphics whore in me :P) would definetly be cause to make me have another go at it, start to finish.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 03:39:07 am »
I played through it all on the original SNES version.  There were definitely some moments where (even after re-re-reading the dialog) you'd induce a brain hemorrhage trying to actually understand what in the hell was just said.  :P

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

..just thought of a separate issue with the game I always had, that was mainly due to how they marketed it.  They claimed something like 255 character combinations with the spirits.  While, technically, this is true in that there's the potential for that many, only like 20 or less (don't recall exactly) of those spirit combinations actually work.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 08:30:56 am »
I am looking forward to this, my only problem is I can't decide which version to play - the German or the English one  ::)
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 09:01:28 am »
I played through it all on the original SNES version.  There were definitely some moments where (even after re-re-reading the dialog) you'd induce a brain hemorrhage trying to actually understand what in the hell was just said.  :P

You got that right buddy! While the actual game wasn't that bad, the script and translation were so horrible, it made me conclude the game overall was a festering pile of crap!

That script was even worse than bahamutX's writing!

I look forward to it as well.  I don't know if I can stand to play through the game again, but I'll definitely play through a little bit of the patch.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 01:44:05 pm »

..just thought of a separate issue with the game I always had, that was mainly due to how they marketed it.  They claimed something like 255 character combinations with the spirits.  While, technically, this is true in that there's the potential for that many, only like 20 or less (don't recall exactly) of those spirit combinations actually work.

Well, there were 9 characters. However, 2 of them couldn't fuse (Ryu plus the not-really-secret-anymore character).
So, now we're down to 7 characters. There's 6 shamans. You can fuse one or two (though I know fire and water can't combine) shamans. 6*5 combinations (=30) - fire/water amd water/fire = 28 + only shaman = 29 combinations. 29 * 7 characters = 203? I thought it was only like 160? Any other combinations that will never work?

And as for bad marketing choices. Taito clamied "your actions determine the outcome of the opening story (of Lufia 1)". But, sadly the only outcome you'll determine is if you have to repeat the opening level again (though I seriously doubt you'd lose unless you're trying to).
Would've been cool if there was an alternate storyline, but I suppose that'd be a lot of work for the original writers and the translators.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

D

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 04:58:10 pm »
My only negative comment about everything d4s has done: that dialog window is way too big. The reason nothing is written to those last tiles of the screen is because half of them get devoured by the edges of CRT televisions. It may look cool in an emulator, but on a real TV, the edges of the dialogue window are going to vanish :(