News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Grimm Translations Project Megathread  (Read 3703 times)

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Grimm Translations Project Megathread
« on: July 25, 2019, 10:30:36 pm »
Hi all,

I finally got around to making a website. I'm slowly trying to add all my projects to it, but in the meantime, here's a preview of what's on deck.

Pokémon Card GB2:
Text is nearly completed, and hacking is finished.

Shiren GB1:
Hacking is finished, items and monsters are translated. If you'd like to take a stab at the story text, please let me know.

Shiren GB2:
Hacking is finished, items and monsters are translated. If you'd like to take a stab at the story text, please let me know.

Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 (PC-98):
Translation is completed, hacking is nearing completion.

There are many more in the works, and I'll get around to updating them here and on my site.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Re: Grimm Translations Project Megathread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 01:49:45 am »
That Shiren GB2 project has me excited! Can I ask: what makes your translation of Pokemon Trading Card 2 different from the 2012 patch?
free sluffy

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 05:32:40 pm »
That Shiren GB2 project has me excited! Can I ask: what makes your translation of Pokemon Trading Card 2 different from the 2012 patch?
The 2002 translation is made up via editing online translations. Per their readme: "Now, I'll admit that I really don't know Japanese, but I've done a
'best-effort' with the best online translators and context clue ad-libbing
that I could." My version has a real translation.

BabaJeanmel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 07:23:35 am »
Holy crap, PC-98 Madou Monogatari approaching completion ? :o You, sir, are awesome. Can't wait to play it !

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:04:37 am »
Holy crap, PC-98 Madou Monogatari approaching completion ? :o You, sir, are awesome. Can't wait to play it !

That's cool, yeah. In many ways PC-98 games are very different from the Game Gear ports, so those are essentially two different experiences. Also, A-R-S came out for PC-98 only IIRC, and the GG port of A is completely different too. Will be great to have 1-2-3 in both major versions completed!

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:11:41 pm »
Yay, Shiren the Wanderer!
I love it. I even have Shiren the Wanderer 2 GBC complete in box, because the packaging is so gorgeous... But I can't play it. xD
Do you plan to translate the story one day?
Anyway, I'm so happy! When do you plan to release it?
If you need beta-testing, I would be glad to help. :)

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 08:14:03 pm »
I plan to tackle A-R-S after 1-2-3.

And yes, the story will be completely translated on both Shiren 1 and 2.

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 03:01:05 am »
A game on GBC that is playable without translation (I own it and finished it), but which would benefit from it to be more recognized and to understand the story xD, Samurai Kid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVQxPsVd_M

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 05:52:46 pm »
A game on GBC that is playable without translation (I own it and finished it), but which would benefit from it to be more recognized and to understand the story xD, Samurai Kid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVQxPsVd_M

Looks like a fun little platformer game. I might add it to my list.

And keep in mind, translation requests aren't allowed on the forums. There's a page on the Wiki for them. However, I'm always open to new game translation ideas, but not everyone is.

OrangeFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 01:45:40 am »
I was actually thinking about Shiren for the GB and why there hasn't been a translation yet. Very surprised and stoked to see this thread! Thank you!

moritasan2040

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 07:49:12 pm »
Looking at one of the screenshots for Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 (PC-98), I noticed a spelling concern.

Stop should be extended by extending the consonant, not the vowel. For example, here's a huge difference between ohh (an elongated oh, as in "Ohh... I see...") and ooh (as in "Ooh, I like it!"). Also, just in case, I might as well point out the difference between ahh (an extended ah, as in "Ahh... I see...") and aah (as in "Aah! A Spider!"), as well as uhg (as in uh + g) and ugh (as in the GH makes a voiceless velar fricative sound, also used in the word blegh, also sometimes spelt Scottish/German-style as "blech").

"Stoppp!" would certainly be better.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 09:01:07 pm »
Looking at one of the screenshots for Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 (PC-98), I noticed a spelling concern.

Stop should be extended by extending the consonant, not the vowel. For example, here's a huge difference between ohh (an elongated oh, as in "Ohh... I see...") and ooh (as in "Ooh, I like it!"). Also, just in case, I might as well point out the difference between ahh (an extended ah, as in "Ahh... I see...") and aah (as in "Aah! A Spider!"), as well as uhg (as in uh + g) and ugh (as in the GH makes a voiceless velar fricative sound, also used in the word blegh, also sometimes spelt Scottish/German-style as "blech").

"Stoppp!" would certainly be better.

Noted, but I and my editors disagree.

Now for updates:
  • The script for Shiren GB1 has been completely translated and passed through the first round of editing. The VWF is in progress, and the game has been expanded to allow for all the text without any loss to space.
  • The translation for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children - Aka no Sho (Red Book) has begun. Hacking work is under way as well.
  • My project list is growing: My goal is to work on all the Gameboy Poké-Clones. This includes the Sanrio TimeNet game, as well as Ganbare Goemon.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 02:19:37 pm »
Just a quick update:
Shiren 1 GB script has been completed and edited by Tom, and is now being reinserted back and tested. Hoping for a quick turnaround and released.

creebon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 07:41:23 pm »
Reading about your progress and goals makes me a happy person. A full uncut script (by Tom!) for Shiren GB1 is an extra cherry on top.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 02:57:04 pm »
Translations for Shiren games? I am really excited, keep up the good work! Can't wait for them! :thumbsup:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:44 pm »
I'm always up for Shiren games, and since I just got an everdrive GB playing these on real hardware is going to be quite the treat.  Thanks a ton for your work, I can't wait to see this completed!

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 10:31:15 am »
 :beer: Excited for this! Keep us posted!