News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Graphics] Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance - New Area Titles  (Read 637 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating a major update for my HoD localization fix. Thanks to the indispensable help of Nagumo over at the Castlevania Dungeon forums, I've almost completed a near total retranslation/localization of the full English game script from the original Japanese. 98% of the text can be effortlessly altered using LagoLunatic's amazing DSVania Editor (here's hoping there's enough space for the expanded script), so all that remains is the retranslated area titles that appear on-screen when you first enter a new region of the castle.

The game stores the on-screen area names as LZ77-compressed tile graphics. I've located and ripped all the raw graphics data (including the titles I didn't change for reference purposes) as well as the palette data (hex offset and files in .tpl and .pal format). The problem is that I'm just not a very good pixel artist and it could well take me months to get the results I want on my own with YY-CHR or Tile Layer Pro or what have you.

So, I'm humbly requesting the help of any talented pixel artists to help me edit the existing area titles to reflect their newly retranslated names. There's six of them:

- Room of Illusion -> Hall of Illusion
- Shrine of the Apostates -> Tomb of the Apostates
- Skeleton Cave -> Skeleton Nest
- Luminous Cavern -> Schistostega‚Äč Caverns
- Sky Walkway -> Floating Gallery
- Chapel of Dissonance -> Chapel of Heresy

If anyone is interested, just hit me with a PM and I can send you an archive containing all the necessary data and information. I saved the raws in '.gba' format, so I hope that's okay. 

Graphicus

• View Profile
Re: [Graphics] Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance - New Area Titles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:05:48 am »
Like this?

If so, you're welcome. Wasn't too time consuming.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:39:17 am »
Yes, that's perfect! Thank you so much!

What program(s) did you use, by the way?

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:13:47 pm »
For starters, I found the sprites here: https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/cvhod/sheet/26085/

(I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how to extract them from the ROM and I figured I'd check if someone else already ripped them before bothering you).

After that, I just used a graphics program (in my case, GraphicsGale) to grab letters one by one from each of the existing area titles to build the ones you asked for. I had to edit things here and there to delete any undesired leading or trailing letters, of course (strangely enough, not all identical letters are, well... identical. For example, an "E" in one title may not match an "E" in another title 100% pixel by pixel. Not sure why. Seems like more effort than necessary).

I'm just a pixel artist, so I hope this is enough. I wouldn't know how to put them back into the game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:23:57 pm by Graphicus »

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 12:03:53 am »
Sorry it took a while to reply, I've been a little busy.

But yeah, by using your work here as a template, changing each area title will be that much easier now. The graphics in the raw files are only slightly scrambled, but just enough to cause a few headaches without a guide.

I'll be sure to credit you for your work in the new version. Thanks again!  :thumbsup: