News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Any “what it should/could/would have been” hacks out there?  (Read 603 times)

Mechatiger891

• View Profile
Any “what it should/could/would have been” hacks out there?
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:39:25 pm »
Hey guys do you know about any rom hacks out there that are what something should/could/would have been? I’d like to see a Dracula X SNES “what it should have been” hack. Why Konami made it different than the PC Engine original we will never know. This hacked version would feature all the same designed levels as the PC Engine CD original right down to the enemy placements and bosses (but it’ll be alright if the backgrounds were different), add in songs not found in the SNES version (though most of them are the same, there’s just some missing) like when a Boss is nearby and Poison Mind (NES Castlevania 1 boss theme) which plays throughout the mini boss rush before facing Shaft, adding Maria as a playable character, having still shots of the cinemas (which I’m fine with) with text and of course making the final boss much easier meaning that those stupid death pits are gone and changing Dracula’s second form to that of the PC Engine original/SOTN (some sprites retain though) prologue. It would be all-round much easier (or should I say manageable) than the original version it is based upon (I mean the original SNES version this hack is based upon in order to prevent confusion).

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Re: Any “what it should/could/would have been” hacks out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 08:23:53 am »
Nearly every hack is what it could have been.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 10:31:44 am »
Hey guys do you know about any rom hacks out there that are what something should/could/would have been? I’d like to see a Dracula X SNES “what it should have been” hack. Why Konami made it different than the PC Engine original we will never know. This hacked version would feature all the same designed levels as the PC Engine CD original right down to the enemy placements and bosses (but it’ll be alright if the backgrounds were different), add in songs not found in the SNES version (though most of them are the same, there’s just some missing) like when a Boss is nearby and Poison Mind (NES Castlevania 1 boss theme) which plays throughout the mini boss rush before facing Shaft, adding Maria as a playable character, having still shots of the cinemas (which I’m fine with) with text and of course making the final boss much easier meaning that those stupid death pits are gone and changing Dracula’s second form to that of the PC Engine original/SOTN (some sprites retain though) prologue. It would be all-round much easier (or should I say manageable) than the original version it is based upon (I mean the original SNES version this hack is based upon in order to prevent confusion).

With emulation in the state that it's currently in, why not just play the PCEngine rom? That's an awful lot of work for a game that is so easily playable.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:40:02 am »
Nearly every hack is what it could have been.

This is why I'm loving the current state of the scene, all the improvement hacks and modern translations really bring out the potential of many games.

Mechatiger891

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:33:59 pm »
Yes I know of improvement hacks but I was just wondering if a “what it should have been” hack like I asked of Dracula X on Super Nintendo, yeah I could always play it on my PSP but I just wanted to know if a hack like that existed or someone would attempt it. Here’s another “what it should have been” hack that I want to discuss. Strider for the PC Engine. For crying out loud, it’s on Arcade CD-Rom! Feels more like a regular CD-Rom game to me and that’s the weakest, no wonder Golden Axe was terrible on it. After that we had Super CD-Rom and then Arcade, the most powerful you can get for the ol’ PC Engine. The graphics are a major letdown (the Genesis/Mega Drive was able to do it no problem! Color hack anyone?), there’s slowdown and sprite flicker here and there (there shouldn’t be because it’s ARCADE! And Sapphire has none of that crap), there’s snapping with the camera when hitting the d-pad in any direction and the playability isn’t as smooth as other versions. Could it be the polygon effects or lack of optimization that made it that way? I’d like to see someone do it, not just be told to play it elsewhere. It certainly is possible to make a “what it should have been” hack.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:26:18 pm »
I just wanted to know if a hack like that existed or someone would attempt it.
Considering how enormously popular Castlevania is, if it's not on this site already and if one minute on Google doesn't reveal it, then it probably does not exist.

And if you're wondering if someone would attempt it, the Hack Ideas thread is over here.

I’d like to see someone do it, not just be told to play it elsewhere.
Well... why wouldn't you just go play it elsewhere, especially if you want to change it to look more like other versions?

It certainly is possible to make a “what it should have been” hack.
Yes, many things certainly are possible. But ideas are cheap and implementation is hard, which is why that thread is 343 pages long.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:05:15 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 08:30:45 am »
Sounds like thread title is misleading and you only want to know about your hack idea? There's a hack ideas thread.