News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Majin Tensei - American English Patch Released  (Read 6448 times)

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Majin Tensei - American English Patch Released
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 02:46:32 pm »
Congrats! Megami Tensei series is one of my favorites, as my avatar suggests, haha.

So, with all of the SNES MegaTen games translated, it looks like the PSX games are next.

I would love to see these games translated someday as well.
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 07:09:01 pm »
You forgot:
Maten Densetsu - Senritsu no O-parts
Wizap! - Ankoku no Ou
Hanjuku Hero - Aa, Sekaiyo Hanjukunare...!

The first one is quite nice SMT clone. Wizap! is second game in trilogy that also includes Dark Lord for NES and Dark Law for SNES which are already translated by AGTP. Hanjuku Hero for SNES is nowhere near completed and nowadays games from this series are most obscure games made by Square for consoles. It would be really awesome to have translations for these games.
Also SNES got few interesting adventure/sound novel games (NES still got more of this type of games and PS1 even more), unfortunately I doubt that anyone will ever translate them.
It makes me sad that PS1 isn't popular with hackers. Sometime ago I did my research and from what I discovered PS1, PS2 and Sega Saturn have so much interesting games that never left Japan. So many obscure gems that's unbelievable.
Giten Megami Tensei and SMT: NINE translations would be cool but primarily we need Devil Summoner translation.

I'm not interested in turn based strategy but they look like promising games someone would do a let's play with.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 10:28:22 pm »
Finally the Majin Tensei has been translated, great work to the people.
By the way, there is a alternate 1.1 revision of the game, will there be a patch for that also?

No, the coding for the 1.1 and 1.2 is substantially different. Hacking those versions would be like hacking a completely different game.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:36:09 pm by Tom »

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 12:14:46 am »
Can't wait to check this one out. I love the Shin Megami Tensei games, with 2 being my all time favorite.

How many untranslated games are left on the snes? Is there somewhere where we can find said list?

I'm just waiting on a translation of Tetris Battle Gaiden (on the snes). As that is my favorite game on the SNES that's yet to be translated. And no this is not a translation request.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 02:19:08 am »
Can't wait to check this one out. I love the Shin Megami Tensei games, with 2 being my all time favorite.

How many untranslated games are left on the snes? Is there somewhere where we can find said list?

I'm just waiting on a translation of Tetris Battle Gaiden (on the snes). As that is my favorite game on the SNES that's yet to be translated. And no this is not a translation request.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxTKOfPrJU4jzIuAXRAIN5eyToFZTjVpV9nhD70Z398/edit#gid=2034090863 - Spinner 8 made a very good list a while ago, and not just for the SNES, but also for quite a few other consoles. According to it, 750 SNES games are untranslated still (the most of any retro console), most of them being RPGs, puzzle games, board games and action games, plus a ton of different sports titles.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 02:21:50 am »
Now, I'm interested in see what are the differences between 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
what corrections or bugs where iron out.

seraph

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 04:13:07 am »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uxTKOfPrJU4jzIuAXRAIN5eyToFZTjVpV9nhD70Z398/edit#gid=2034090863 - Spinner 8 made a very good list a while ago, and not just for the SNES, but also for quite a few other consoles. According to it, 750 SNES games are untranslated still (the most of any retro console), most of them being RPGs, puzzle games, board games and action games, plus a ton of different sports titles.
Thanks for this list I was looking for something like that. It proves my observations from digging obscure SNES games - there is exceptional high rate of games from genres like mahjong, shogi, pachinko and other that are obscure in the west. Some of them have actual story modes. So yeah basically this type of games solely increase amount of untranslated titles.

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 10:37:56 am »
Continues to amaze me of just how many amazing games never got an official English version.

That the SMT games never made it over is just criminal. Lovers of Phantasy Star 1 (and not the later sequels) would have loved that to death. Thanks for the link cccmar.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:43:57 am by icemann »

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 11:00:20 am »
DDS:MT 1 is translated, you can find the patch on this site. Part 2 isn't, but I believe Tom and Pennywise mentioned they'd tackle it eventually.
When it comes to SNES games, there are still probably dozens of RPGs left, and hundreds of other games, but there's been some great progress lately. It's only a matter of time until all the best games are translated.

I can't find it anywhere is it an snes title?

vergil2012

• View Profile

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 01:47:35 pm »
I can't find it anywhere is it an snes title?

The SNES ports of both 1 and 2 are also translated -> https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2263/. It's probably "the" way to play it as far as gameplay/quality of life improvements go, though I gotta say that I prefer the music/artwork of the original FC games.

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 05:13:30 pm »
The SNES ports of both 1 and 2 are also translated -> https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2263/. It's probably "the" way to play it as far as gameplay/quality of life improvements go, though I gotta say that I prefer the music/artwork of the original FC games.

oh so that's what it was I have that game already, would love to use some cheats though.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 12:06:33 am »
Now, I'm interested in see what are the differences between 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
what corrections or bugs where iron out.

The only difference I've seen first-hand is that 1.2 altered one of the debug screens and ended up screwing up the music. You might have the idea that a later version is the "fixed" version, but that's not the case with Majin Tensei.

KT1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 09:26:55 am »
It sure is awesome to play SNES Megami Tensei 1 and 2, but Megami Tensei 2 is the most fascinating on NES.
Like, one of the best NES RPGs, this game just amazes me on how they did this on NES.
Not to mention, the graphic-wise, NES version appeals to me more. Same with music.

I wish somebody would finish the translation...

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 11:39:34 am »
That was a great milestone you guys did, all that's left now are:

Aretha II
Kishin Korinden ONI
Bakumatsu Korinden ONI 2
Elfaria – The Isle of the Blest
Elfaria II – The Quest of the Meld
Daikaijuu Monogatari II
Not true at all that those are "all that are left".

Ladystalker
Rejoice
Super shell monster 2
Shiji hero legend
GD leen
Solid runner
Metal max 2
Madara 2
Traverse starlight and praire

Also look pretty decent:
Ruin arm
Bounty sword
Hero chronicle
Akazukin cha cha
Beasts and blades
Light Fantasy 1
Light Fantasy 2
Little master

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 05:22:04 pm »
Not true at all that those are "all that are left".

Ladystalker
Rejoice
Super shell monster 2
Shiji hero legend
GD leen
Solid runner
Metal max 2
Madara 2
Traverse starlight and praire

Also look pretty decent:
Ruin arm
Bounty sword
Hero chronicle
Akazukin cha cha
Beasts and blades
Light Fantasy 1
Light Fantasy 2
Little master

Daikaijuu Monogatari II is Super shell monsters 2 in english

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2019, 09:42:49 pm »
Unlikely sadly, the interest for the Megami Tensei remakes for the PSX seem very low.

I'd definitely like to see a project for the PSX versions as a player (though sadly I have no skills to offer to help make them a reality).

umegamer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 07:25:29 am »
Think I encountered a bug with the translation patch.

After obtaining the
Spoiler:
Hinokagutsuchi
, whenever I bring up the equip menu, the equipment list would be blank.
And after I dismiss the menu, the character's movement range becomes all weird.

Doesn't happen with the pristine ROM.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 03:12:34 am »
Think I encountered a bug with the translation patch.

After obtaining the
Spoiler:
Hinokagutsuchi
, whenever I bring up the equip menu, the equipment list would be blank.
And after I dismiss the menu, the character's movement range becomes all weird.

Doesn't happen with the pristine ROM.

Do you have a save file you can send over?

VladimIr V Y

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 07:48:53 am »
I finally got to playing the game and I think I found the bug in the version 4.0. The same one as above.

After getting Hinokagutsuchi and entering the Equip screen it looks like that:

But the main problem, after that bug occurs, the game starts behaving erratically. On the field, characters can move only up or down, and the terrain descriptions changes to types not present on the map:

Thankfully, once Hinokagutsuchi is equpped, the Equip screen gets back to normal. And the rest of the game fixes itself after using internal save, resetting the game and restoring the save.

The bug encountered then using the SNES9x 1.60. The ROM is correct one, I checked the hashes using the NSRT. I use IPS version of the patch, with the emulator soft-patching. And if that helps, an srm file with Hinokagutsuchi and that bug.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PLILjD0yy88ryqi_e6DuoFPirslV1vRR

November 11, 2019, 05:53:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Finished the game today. Thanks again for the translation.

I'll also use this opportunity to report another small bug. A slightly broken line in the final sequence of the best ending. It is a spoiler, so I'll post the screenshot as a link.
https://postimg.cc/FdZz8SF7
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:53:26 am by VladimIr V Y »