News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [JPN Translators] [GBA] Tomato Adventure  (Read 8593 times)

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
[JPN Translators] [GBA] Tomato Adventure
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:28:09 pm »
Hi there!

Mato-san created some tools and translated some of
the game Tomato Adventure, but there's a lot of
Japanese text left to translate to English. His
tools and patch are available here:
https://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

Is there a translator out there willing to help me?

Have a nice day!
Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [JPN Translators] [GBA] Tomato Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:52:41 am »
What will you be contributing to the project?

Mattiac

• View Profile
    • The Translators
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:44 am »
Surprising question, but I intend to edit the graphics and handle the technical matters as good as I can.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:19:52 pm »
His tools and patch are available here:
https://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

As much as I would like to see the game translated, that was posted three years ago and if the project only needed someone to "edit the graphics and handle the technical matters", it would have been done by now.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Demille

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 01:02:28 pm »
When I have finished editing my translated script, perhaps then we can talk. Until then...

Worth noting is that I have completed the main body of text and am currently revising, editing, fixing broken control code, etc. However, as Tomato himself mentions in his documentation, the tools he managed to put together are not suitable for making a finished, playable product. Indeed, there is much that I am not skilled to do, but would need to be done.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:24:34 pm by Demille »

[Unknown]

• View Profile
    • PPSSPP
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:42:13 am »
Sent a message, but wanted to leave these notes here - many years ago I had messed with this game (actually before Mato did), but life happened to me and the translator involved.  I'd be interested in helping if there's a new effort.

Anyway, wanted to post some notes on codes that Mato didn't note.  These are just from my moldy old notes, and maybe I was wrong:

FF03=[slpbytnl] -
sleeps for a length determined by the next byte, then line breaks. (ie. ignore the following byte - [slpbytnl]A)
This wasn't listed by Mato?

FF04=[clear]
[clear] clears the box.

FF06=[tickeroff]
[tickeroff] turns the teletype off.

FF80=[money]
[money] displays the player's money. (educated guess)
(maybe I was wrong, would guess Mato would've caught this.)

-[Unknown]

Demille

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 11:00:15 pm »
There is a great deal of technical whatnot which will need to be tackled... I'm afraid that my skill in that regard is very close to zero.

Some things I've observed throughout my time attempting to insert the text into the game, and other notes:

- An anonymous party has assisted me in putting a variable-width font into the game. Originally, the game used a very ugly and space-hogging fixed width font. It looks better but is largely guesswork for me to sort out exactly what text will fit in any given line. Previously, I could bank on each line having exactly 18 characters, but now I must comb through the script and basically re-do all the spacing and timing of the text, and test it, to make sure everything fits without causing issues.
- The game will softlock at SEEMINGLY random (but somewhat predictable) times, displaying a string of text that reads ィAィAィAィAィAィAィAィA into infinity. The "predictable" part of this is that it TENDS to be either A) text during certain events or B) Text strings which are called multiple times
- If I attempt to insert around more than half of the game's text into the game, it simply does not work using Mato's provided tools.
- Graphics in seemingly random areas will glitch if text is inserted. These glitches change with how much text is inserted.
- I was advised by the anonymous party mentioned earlier that the above issues may be brought on by the way that Mato's tools work, and indeed, how they don't work. I can't confirm this myself, but I was told that Mato's tools do not "overwrite" existing pointers/etc in the ROM, but rather place them wherever there is available space.
- A very minor but annoying and time-consuming thing is that in order to insert the text into the game with the currently available tools, I must remove any and all line breaks on each line of dialogue. Not a HUGE issue but it is a pain having to maintain multiple copies of my script file. The "master" version keeps the line breaks for ease of reading during my ongoing editing and revision.

In order to capture the gifs I posted earlier (and indeed, much video footage I have saved from various points in the game) I have had to make clever use of save states to continuously work around the many points at which the game crashes. I have documented those points pretty extensively which is how I worked out my current guess as to "why" crashes occur at those points.

It would take someone more skilled technically to validate the claims above about "how" Mato's tools do and don't work, but... This is all I can really say so far.

Apologies for this being more of an info dump rather than a proper response... I just felt it worth mentioning, as it may become helpful to anyone who should choose to brave this.

Normmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 05:50:22 am »
I found this the other day which looks like it would help https://github.com/otakuto/TomatoTool

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 03:50:04 pm »
Wow, yeah, that github stuff is great. I don't have the time to work on TA anymore but it looks like those files include documentation/code for some things I didn't get around to ten+ years ago.

Demille

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 01:38:51 am »
Wow, yeah, that github stuff is great. I don't have the time to work on TA anymore but it looks like those files include documentation/code for some things I didn't get around to ten+ years ago.

If only I knew how to make use of it  :D In any event, [Unknown] has kindly put together a tool which has singlehandedly eliminated the trial and error element from my revision and editing process. No longer do I have to worry about text strings bleeding into the next line by accident! Programming is truly a magical thing...

MiYaku

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 01:15:25 am »
I am currently working on a Let's Play (I call mine Let's Translate for obvious reasons) series on my YouTube Channel and I am currently working on Tomato Adventure.
Unfortunately, I am just a Translator from Japanese to English and I require credits for my Translation work to my YouTube Channel.
Lastly, I do a no censorship approach, meaning kid friendly or not, I do not censor any game I work on or assist in regardless of material.
If there's controversial material in it, I keep it in.

If you are willing to work with me, and I am near fluent in Japanese, we can make it happen.

I'm not Japanese but it's my second language.

My YouTube Channel is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2d_OwPPSS2NPn-uQYmeVw?view_as=subscriber
You can email me if you are interested at:
sugoyaku__at__yandex__dott__comm
(I intentionally did that to prevent bots from harvesting my email)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 05:30:06 pm »
You might want to get in touch with [Unknown].

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30978.0

Mattiac

• View Profile
    • The Translators
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:16:03 am »
I apologize to everyone for my very late reply, but I also thank you a lot for all your great replies! I posted a comment to Unknown-san in his thread. Have a nice day! May Japan bless you!