News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Bloodstained - Ritual of The Night  (Read 1406 times)

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
Bloodstained - Ritual of The Night
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:22:14 pm »
I vaguely remember hearing about this being on Kickstarter years ago but didn't think much of it until I happened to run across some screenshots of it the other day. I ended up watching some Youtube videos, and for the first time in over three years, paid for a video game by getting a copy from GoG.

I've been extremely impressed with it so far (I'm about 75% through, I think). I liked the GBA Igavanias but struggled to get through the DS ones due to how repetetive they felt; The "seal" mechanic from Dawn of Sorrow and the dual player crap from Portrait of Ruin just felt like gimmicks rather than innovation to me, and while I like the atmosphere in Order of Ecclessia the Glyph system and combat in general felt clunky and unrefined.

Somehow they managed to make something that feels like a true sequel to Symphony of The Night with this one (It practically is, just with the Konami serial numbers filed off). However, they also managed to take all the best bits from the portable games and incorporate them, as well as improve them, in ways that feel both natural and fun.

Overall it feels like a fusion of Symphony of the Night's RPG elements with Aria of Sorrow's Soul system and Dawn of Sorrow's combat. It also has some crafting type stuff if you're in to that, but it can be mostly ignored unless you're trying to get powerful gear earlier than you can typically find it via exploration.

The soundtrack is also exceptional, which isn't all that surprising considering the composer was Michiru Yamane, who also did Symphony of The Night's score.

I'm not overly found of the cell shading for entity models: It sort of clashes with the more realistic graphics style of the environments, but it's a minor thing. The NPC models could have also been done a little better, but Miriam's design is fairly good. There's also portraits all over the castle with seriously bad looking and immersion breaking images of what I assume are backers from Kickstarter. Fortunately a bunch of mods have already sprung up for the game, one being replacements of these with artwork by Ayami Kojima.

Highly worth the $30 I paid for it. I typically don't care enough about video games at this point in my life to bother making a post like this but I felt, in this case, it's a somewhat exceptional game.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Bloodstained - Ritual of The Night
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 07:21:01 pm »
I'll get it eventually, don't have 40 dollars to plop down for the PS4 version right now sadly. Really looking forward to it when I do, though.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:22:50 pm »
No way I'm paying $30 for a PC game with my backlog. :-P

Anyway, if you missed the news, be sure to check out Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, as well.  It seems to have made a lot of people happy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/838310/Bloodstained_Curse_of_the_Moon/

Now, $7.50 CDN is pretty tempting, but at this rate Epic will give it away as a free game the day after I finally succumb.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 04:33:35 pm »
Anyway, if you missed the news, be sure to check out Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, as well.  It seems to have made a lot of people happy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/838310/Bloodstained_Curse_of_the_Moon/

Now, $7.50 CDN is pretty tempting, but at this rate Epic will give it away as a free game the day after I finally succumb.

I ended up getting it as well. It gave me a reason to finally finish the scanline overlay crap I did with Rain Meter when Another Metroid 2 Remake came out:

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:04:29 am »
I ended up getting it as well. It gave me a reason to finally finish the scanline overlay crap I did with Rain Meter when Another Metroid 2 Remake came out:

(Image removed)

Dude, niiice.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 07:06:14 pm »
I really want to try this. Unfortunately I preordered the Switch version, and the Switch version is currently a total trash fire, so I'm stuck until they fix it. Not double-dipping.

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:11:17 am »
I haven't felt enjoyment from a game like this in at least 5 or 6 years. Well, since whenever Saints Row IV came out. I backed it at 60 and, for me, it was completely worth it. Plays exactly as you'd want it to, like an Igavania and more importantly, like a game with actual effort and care put into making it fun. I've put 49 hours into it now, though I've heard you can casually beat the game in less than half that easily. I don't know, I like maxing out, finding everything and going for the boss medals.

And yeah, glad mods to replace the backer portraits were made.

I never played Curse of the Moon. Need to get to that, but I wanted the main course first.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
It looks really good, I think I'll probably pick it up for PS4 or PC this weekend. I was considering the Switch version last week despite having already been forewarned, but decided not to bank on it being properly fixed anytime soon.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 07:46:53 pm »
I gotta get my hands on this game when I get my place, I have Curse of The Moon so I know I'm gonna love this game.  :laugh:

Cristal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 05:05:16 pm »
I backed this game, but so much time has passed since then that I more or less lost my interest on it after a while.

If I find enough time to play it, the Switch version will be my personal choice. But judging from the things I heard, I guess it'd be better to wait a bit so they can fix/polish it some more. Oh well then.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 05:59:37 pm »
So, has anyone decrypted the Encrypted Orchid yet? I've got the description open in a hex-editor right now but I haven't untangled it yet.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 06:40:36 pm »
I believe the internet has already done it but I can't remember what scheme it is.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 10:38:32 am »
I went ahead and looked it up, it's just a fairly straightforward description of the weapon, there was no way I would have possibly worked out that cypher though.

On an unrelated note, I've just crashed the game for the fourth time this morning, I honestly expected the PS4 version to be more stable than this.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 01:00:40 pm »
Grrrr I really want this game and I'm stuck only gaming on my tablet.  :banghead: And I doubt they will port it to android
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 01:45:34 pm »
I went ahead and looked it up, it's just a fairly straightforward description of the weapon, there was no way I would have possibly worked out that cypher though.

On an unrelated note, I've just crashed the game for the fourth time this morning, I honestly expected the PS4 version to be more stable than this.

Oof, good to know. I was planning on getting it on PS4 but I'll wait until December or next year.

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 04:17:22 am »
Played through this game recently. If your a fan of SOTN you'll love it.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 04:42:04 pm »
A friend got this for me on launch day. Thoroughly impressed, but haven't had as much time to sit and play it as I would like.

Agreed that it is intended to be the same sort of deal as Symphony of the Night. Anyone familiar with it should be right at home here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:09:33 pm by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.