News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES] [FF4kster] Expanding weapon/armour lists/shadow party questions  (Read 617 times)

Lizardking

• View Profile
Hello, new poster here.

I had an idea for FF2us to move the armour data lower down the item list (replacing the bomb fragment, silver hourglass and all the other battle items that no one uses) to allow for more room for weapons and armour.

So far, using the features option in FF4kster I managed to get the game to equip helmets in the shield slot and not recognize shields as armour - but I can't get it to equip armour in the weapon slot or affect attack power, or equip items as armour and affect defensive stats.

Obviously I'm missing something. Is there a byte that maps how far down the item list the weapons/armour are?

Looking beyond that, would it be possible to point to animations or would the extra weapons (if possible) basically be powerful bare hands?

My other big hack idea was to rework the shadow party to create a party selection system similar to in FFIVa. After some searching I discovered someone already did that, but unfortunately the website is down and Wayback machine didn't save the link to the .ips patches.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170808211321/http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1873.45

Does anyone have  Shadow Mod.7z (58.46 kB) and UO-Shadow Fix.ips (0.16 kB)?

...or any of the other lost patches from slickproductions for that matter?

Also, anyone know anything about making the crystal usable by jobs other than the Paladin? I managed to get rid of the "everyone dies" part of the Zeromus sequence, but trying to move the Crystal to another slot and changing it's reference in the features menu did not do anything.

Thanks in advance!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Hello!

OK, so, first...
Hello, new poster here.

I had an idea for FF2us to move the armour data lower down the item list (replacing the bomb fragment, silver hourglass and all the other battle items that no one uses) to allow for more room for weapons and armour.

So far, using the features option in FF4kster I managed to get the game to equip helmets in the shield slot and not recognize shields as armour - but I can't get it to equip armour in the weapon slot or affect attack power, or equip items as armour and affect defensive stats.

Obviously I'm missing something. Is there a byte that maps how far down the item list the weapons/armour are?

Looking beyond that, would it be possible to point to animations or would the extra weapons (if possible) basically be powerful bare hands?

You won't be able to increase the amount of items in the game that are equipment. There are several tables in the ROM that refer to who can equip, stat bonuses... All that other stuff that equipment does. Unfortunately, most of those tables are exactly as long as they need to be to accommodate the amount of equippable items that exist in the vanilla version of the game.

Also, if it is possible to turn armor into weapons, the way to do it hasn't been fully uncovered as yet. You can make FF4kster act like it's doing these things in the features menu, but it won't be able to actually make that happen. I think it is actually possible to turn armor into weapons, we just haven't zeroed in on all the changes that need to be made to do so yet.

Second...
My other big hack idea was to rework the shadow party to create a party selection system similar to in FFIVa. After some searching I discovered someone already did that, but unfortunately the website is down and Wayback machine didn't save the link to the .ips patches.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170808211321/http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1873.45

I heard that guy who made those patches is a real dick.
 ;)
I probably have them... Somewhere. They're very hacky, though. Took me an entire summer to make that, and it's not my best work. I started trying to make a version 2 at one point, but I tabled it in favor of other, more rewarding pursuits. Anyway, if I can find the shadow mod patch, I will link it here for you if you want to play around with it.
So much valuable stuff seemingly lost forever...
...sigh...
I have most of the patches I made that I posted there, but the best stuff I actually published on RHDN.

Also, anyone know anything about making the crystal usable by jobs other than the Paladin? I managed to get rid of the "everyone dies" part of the Zeromus sequence, but trying to move the Crystal to another slot and changing it's reference in the features menu did not do anything.
Huh... Never looked into it. I'll keep it in mind and let you know if I ever get to it and figure that out.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Lizardking

• View Profile
Re: [SNES] [FF4kster] Expanding weapon/armour lists/shadow party questions
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:51:59 pm »
Hello!

OK, so, first...
You won't be able to increase the amount of items in the game that are equipment. There are several tables in the ROM that refer to who can equip, stat bonuses... All that other stuff that equipment does. Unfortunately, most of those tables are exactly as long as they need to be to accommodate the amount of equippable items that exist in the vanilla version of the game.

Oh well. I suppose worse could happen. ;)

Also, if it is possible to turn armor into weapons, the way to do it hasn't been fully uncovered as yet. You can make FF4kster act like it's doing these things in the features menu, but it won't be able to actually make that happen. I think it is actually possible to turn armor into weapons, we just haven't zeroed in on all the changes that need to be made to do so yet.

That would be neat. I think I'm just going to go the simpler route and just expand equipment lists (give Dark Knight & Edge access to normal swords, for example) - that should open up some redundancies for new weapons.

Second...
 ;)
I probably have them... Somewhere. They're very hacky, though. Took me an entire summer to make that, and it's not my best work. I started trying to make a version 2 at one point, but I tabled it in favor of other, more rewarding pursuits. Anyway, if I can find the shadow mod patch, I will link it here for you if you want to play around with it.

That would be fantastic. I'm currently going through all the event code, npcs and such to try to free up space in the ROM, so that would play well into it.

Any idea if it messes with the equipment screen mod?

So much valuable stuff seemingly lost forever...
...sigh...
I have most of the patches I made that I posted there, but the best stuff I actually published on RHDN.

Oooh, like what? I can only see small bits of the FF4 research forum. :(

Huh... Never looked into it. I'll keep it in mind and let you know if I ever get to it and figure that out.

One other question on that topic - when I look at Lunar monsters AI behaviour, it doesn't match up to the behaviour in the game. Has the battler event script been located yet (I'm thinking just removing the entire opening sequence to the final battle)

Lizardking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:00:35 pm »

;)

That would be fantastic. I'm currently going through all the event code, npcs and such to try to free up space in the ROM, so that would play well into it.

Any idea if it messes with the equipment screen mod?

Alternatively, if the patch itself is lost, would you be able to explain to me how you did it?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:13:18 pm »
Hello, new poster here.

Hrmm... I was the one to find most of that info. back in the day, but those notes are long gone. There are various checks in-battle, out-of-battle and I doubt I found them all. I had the same idea that you did, but I recall issues happening with trying it. There is admittedly so much wasted space in the items in FFIV it is sickening. Most of the key items don't need to exist and several of them are joke items. The battle items are nigh-useless in the normal game and so on. But... trying to extend the armor list is not easy. After armor, items have less bytes to work with so you would have even less armor to work with and that's not including the ASM functions that come with the "heal status" items. (Basically looks at the item number, decreases it to a base amount of 1-80 to check and cure ailment). It's not entirely feasible, but it is possible.

Chillyfeez answered this, but I would also suggest reaching out to the makers of FFIV:Free Enterprise, they included a full party load-out and dismissal system. It's something truly splendid, but I couldn't find any of their notes anywhere.

Woe is me for not backing up my data anywhere... years of research lost and the wheel needs to be reinvented again...

Thanks in advance!

I found this long, long ago, it was one of my first forays into FFIV hacking. That Item number (C8) only becomes usable if it is the Paladin that looks for it. But here's a trick... Zeromus is only looking for a Dark Elemental used against him. Not the Crystal particularly. You can use another item if you would like, it just needs to be Dark Elemental.

Angus60

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 03:15:25 am »
Hello!

OK, so, first...

Second...
 ;)
I probably have them... Somewhere. They're very hacky, though. Took me an entire summer to make that, and it's not my best work. I started trying to make a version 2 at one point, but I tabled it in favor of other, more rewarding pursuits. Anyway, if I can find the shadow mod patch, I will link it here for you if you want to play around with it.So much valuable stuff seemingly lost forever...
...sigh...
I have most of the patches I made that I MyPrepaidBalance posted there, but the best stuff I actually published on RHDN.

I was the one to find most of that info. back in the day, but those notes are long gone. There are various checks in-battle, out-of-battle and I doubt I found them all. I had the same idea that you did, but I recall issues happening with trying it. There is admittedly so much wasted space in the items in FFIV it is sickening. Most of the key items don't need to exist and several of them are joke items. The battle items are nigh-useless in the normal game and so on. But... trying to extend the armor list is not easy. After armor, items have less bytes to work with so you would have even less armor to work with and that's not including the ASM functions that come with the "heal status" items. (Basically looks at the item number, decreases it to a base amount of 1-80 to check and cure ailment). It's not entirely feasible, but it is possible.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:53:44 am by Angus60 »