News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Swapping out title screen for Dirty Pair: Project Eden  (Read 663 times)

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Swapping out title screen for Dirty Pair: Project Eden
« on: June 28, 2019, 09:27:19 pm »
While I appreciate the complete status of the patch provided by Stardust Crusaders, I much prefer Ballz's title screen for the Dirty Pair FDS game. I imagine this might be a relatively easy patch, but I'm not sure how to go about it, which probably means it would be more complicated for me than I thought. Anyone know how this could be done?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
Re: Swapping out title screen for Dirty Pair: Project Eden
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:40:55 am »
IIRC NES games have uncompressed graphics data - I'd try looking at both versions in Tile Molester, and seeing if you can copy the tiles from one to the other.
This will only work if there hasn't been any fancy ASM hacking, though.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:33:28 pm »
Personally I prefer Stardust's title screen, but different strokes, I suppose.

Anyway, I opened all three versions in Tile Molester (the original and the two patches) and I noticed a complicating factor: the Stardust one uses a lot more memory for its title screen. It would not be a straight swap: first you'd have to copy over all the stuff from Ballz's title screen, then find the tilemap in the code and change it back to the original. I can do it, of course. If it doesn't take long, I might. :)

EDIT: I've looked further, and although it's far from impossible, it's too much work for me to deal with. Sorry. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:45:08 pm by Psyklax »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »
I don't know why anyone would want to play this game. It might be the worst game I've translated. The title screen was based on the official logo used for the movie IIRC.

Ironically this game ripped off Layla for the Famicom, which in turn was heavily inspired by Dirty Pair.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 03:22:09 pm »
Ironically this game ripped off Layla for the Famicom, which in turn was heavily inspired by Dirty Pair.

This brings up another idea I have: change the color palettes on the girl sprites and the title screen in Layla to make it the Dirty Pair game it could/should have been. Trouble is, I don't know how to change color palettes or mess with title screens  :-[ Anywhere I can find a guide for that kind of thing?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript