News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) arabic  (Read 1079 times)

S.D.A.

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) arabic
« on: June 28, 2019, 04:21:24 pm »
I absolutely wish to translate Super Mario Bros. 2 for NES into Arabic, but there are three problems:

1) I'm totally NULL at languages like this, which also needs to be read from right to left and doesn't even use an alphabet if I am correct.

2) I cannot test alone the hack by beating the entire game until the end to see if there are not bugs, plus if I even fixed the text appearance order.

3) I'd like to move the pointers that indicate the lives remaining (mostly at the character selection screen) to the left, and the "Extra Life" text at the right, to do also on the world number (WORLD X-X). But I can't do it by myself.

So, all in all, I need the help of some Arabic ROM hackers if there are any and a beta tester. At least I'm able to translate the "©1988 Nintendo" text which translates as "نينتندو" and the copyright year at the right.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) arabic
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 07:06:36 pm »
The problem is the amount of 8 x 8 tiles you can use. The game has A - Z, ! ? . , etc. I will have to check, but I think you have 40 tiles to use.

There are some NES Arabic translations out there, so you could use those fonts. Hopefully the Aracic alphabet will fit in the space.

The way the text works, you just mention the Y, X, Number of tiles, tile id. Since the text doesn't scoll, displaying right to left won't be an issue (you just tell the game which tiles to display). Plus moving the positio n of the text us easy.

There are codes to skip levels, plus use invisibility to beat the game. Plus make save states.

When I get to my computer, I will check my notes on the Pony Poki Panic romhack. They should help out.

S.D.A.

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) arabic
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 03:10:27 am »
Well, if you check my own profile you can see already some translations done by myself. But, in the text line "Extra Life...........(X)" how is the life counter shown in the hex editor and what do I do to drag it to the other side without glitching out the text line?

June 29, 2019, 07:58:07 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, it seems that there are some translations made by a single person, but in the credits there are also some other users that made a specific thing in (graphics, script revision, etc.). One example is Baraksha's Hebrew translation of Sonic the Hedgehog which you can see here:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3054/
In the credits section there are other 4 people who have done a specific role in this hack such as editing the Sega logo at the beginning (translated as סגה).

June 29, 2019, 10:39:44 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So, how do I ask someone to help me on a certain hack? In this case someone such as megamanz, Diariko, Earwa or Mahmood S. Lattouf.

I repeat, I don't understand Arabic and so I'll have to get help for the translation!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:39:44 am by S.D.A. »