Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 43197 times)

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2019, 11:37:59 pm »
Hello everyone, sorry for being silent these past couple months.

I’ve started developing my own 2D RPG that I hope to release on Steam and eventually smartphones and consoles. I think it is in my best interest to stop working on these translations, so there won’t be any more updates.

Thank you all for your support.

Sad we won’t be able to clean up the FFII and FFIII scripts, but happy that you’re working on something you’re passionate about. Hopefully someone else can pick these up and polish them off as you work on new projects. Looking forward to playing your RPG someday.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2019, 12:16:53 am »
Heheh, that's Chaos Rush for you.

Good luck on your work! What's the title gonna be?
Thank you! It is currently being called, "Starlight Legacy", which may end up becoming the final title.

Wow, talk about interesting! What kind of engine are you using? I've made a couple RPG Maker games, so I tend to get curious regarding indie games.
I am using Game Maker Studio (same program that Undertale was developed in). I'm familiar with Game Maker having used it for years going back to my Sonic fangaming days, plus the syntax is very similar to Java which I'm also familiar with.

Congratulations on moving on to your own game, and good luck!
Thanks!

Sad we won’t be able to clean up the FFII and FFIII scripts, but happy that you’re working on something you’re passionate about. Hopefully someone else can pick these up and polish them off as you work on new projects. Looking forward to playing your RPG someday.
Thanks for understanding!

Anyways, I don't want to spam up this thread and make it off-topic, maybe it's best if it's closed. But I also felt like I'm somewhat obligated to say something instead of just disappearing. With that said, I've whipped up a discord server that I've linked to in my signature where I'll post development stuff for now (wasn't planning on making one quite yet but I gotta have something up to post content). Although this seems contradictory, I also ask that you all respect my privacy :)
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2019, 11:32:27 am »
Hello Chaos Rush. Just noticed a grammar mistake. During the beginning of the game, the Sage in Cornelia Castle says "Garland was a good NIGHT" instead of Night. Just wanted to point that out.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2019, 01:17:35 pm »
Hello Chaos Rush. Just noticed a grammar mistake. During the beginning of the game, the Sage in Cornelia Castle says "Garland was a good NIGHT" instead of Night. Just wanted to point that out.
At this point, it might be best to just find a way to fix the typo yourself, seeing as OP is moving on to something else.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »
I noticed that as well. I wonder if anyone else with the skills will continue this work. I hope so! I'm happy with FF Restored, but FF2 and 3 need some love!

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2019, 07:41:00 pm »
I noticed that as well. I wonder if anyone else with the skills will continue this work. I hope so! I'm happy with FF Restored, but FF2 and 3 need some love!

Chaos Rush did make some utilities that work with his translations of FF2 and FF3, so I am sure someone could easily fix any left over mistakes.

There is CastleFynn for FF2
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1171/

there is also OnionText for FF3
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1226/

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
Chaos Rush did make some utilities that work with his translations of FF2 and FF3, so I am sure someone could easily fix any left over mistakes.

There is CastleFynn for FF2
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1171/

there is also OnionText for FF3
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1226/

I thought he created a new text editor for both FF2 and 3, but maybe he didn’t finish them. He had mentioned that CastleFynn and OnionText needed to be replaced, but we may be stuck with those now.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 19, 2019, 02:32:16 am »
I thought he created a new text editor for both FF2 and 3, but maybe he didn’t finish them. He had mentioned that CastleFynn and OnionText needed to be replaced, but we may be stuck with those now.
I made a new text editor for FF1 and began working on adding support for FF2, but only implemented partial support. Right before I released the first version of the FF1 translation, I started working at my full-time job with a really long commute, and now I have very little free time and would like to use that little free time to work on my own game (commute is getting worse and worse due to the season).

However, I guess the least I could do is release the FF1 text editor and do quick typo updates for the whole trilogy (give me some time). But, there's a reason why I said it's in my best interest not to work on these anymore. I can't say what that reason is right now, but maybe it'll make sense in the far future. I'm sorry that I have to be indirect right now.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 19, 2019, 11:32:32 am »
I made a new text editor for FF1 and began working on adding support for FF2, but only implemented partial support. Right before I released the first version of the FF1 translation, I started working at my full-time job with a really long commute, and now I have very little free time and would like to use that little free time to work on my own game (commute is getting worse and worse due to the season).

However, I guess the least I could do is release the FF1 text editor and do quick typo updates for the whole trilogy (give me some time). But, there's a reason why I said it's in my best interest not to work on these anymore. I can't say what that reason is right now, but maybe it'll make sense in the far future. I'm sorry that I have to be indirect right now.

That would be a nice way to leave the project and hand it off. The trilogy is nearly perfect, and I’m sure others can run with it if they have the right tools.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:14 am »

The text editor should be the only thing remaining for a much deserved passing of the torch to the community.
You earned a right to move on.

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2019, 09:33:47 am »
However, I guess the least I could do is release the FF1 text editor and do quick typo updates for the whole trilogy (give me some time).

This would be greatly appreciated (and I'm sure giving your FF trilogy project a proper send-off certainly wouldn't hurt morale toward your future projects).
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2019, 03:16:36 am »
Updates for the whole trilogy have been submitted to the database queue. These are the changelogs:

FF1: v1.3 - October 24th, 2019
-fixed the typo "Garland was a good knight"

FF1 Restored - 2019 Script Port: v1.3 - October 24th, 2019
-script updated to v1.3 of the translation

FF2: v1.7 - October 24th, 2019
- slightly updated font to match FF3 translation
- typo fixed (poorf --> poor)
- Beelezbub --> Beelzbub (kinda a typo fix but also had to abbreviate a bit due to lack of squish tiles)
- battle typo fixed ("Brea[glitchtile]" --> "Breth" short for Breath)
- "Mana" --> "M.Power" (for consistency with official FF2)
- B-Button Dash now optional patch

FF3: v1.3 - October 24th, 2019
- minor adjustment in stat screen

----

In addition to that, I am releasing my FF1 text editor, AirshipText. It supports full text editing of pretty much any NES/Famicom version of FF1, and also has partial support for FF2 (can view text in the Japanese and translated versions). I am choosing not to put it on the database for now due to its rather incomplete state.

AirshipText link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j7r6c4980uux1x8/AirshipText.zip/file

----

And lastly...

Final Fantasy I & II Multicart Translation!
But sadly, there's a catch. Unfortunately, saving in FF1 overwrites save slots 1-2 of FF2. I tried looking into why this happens, and could not find the cause. I even did a byte comparison of the FF2 portion of the multicart with vanilla FF2 and the only thing that's different is a typo in the Japanese intro text, along with some data bytes at the end. After some testing, I concluded that merely altering a byte in the intro text of the FF2 portion causes the save issue (meaning it probably reads a checksum perhaps?), so I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

So, when playing FF2 on the multicart patch, please only use save slots 3 and 4. Sadly because of this issue, I will not submit it to the database. With that said, this has my FF1 v1.3 patch and FF2 v1.7 patch on one cart. This is purely for novelty/experimental purposes!

FF1 and 2 Experimental Patch Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0s51y7wxtdvtvfr/FF1%262Translation.zip/file

----

With that said, I would like to move on from ROM hacking now and focus my time and efforts on my own game. I won't be updating these translations anymore, so if anyone wants to take over and update them further, feel free to do so.

But also, support Square Enix for making these amazing RPG's in the first place. They helped shape the genre into what it is today. While I didn't get introduced to Final Fantasy until my late teens, I grew up playing the Pokemon series, and after playing the early Final Fantasy titles it's evident how much Final Fantasy influenced Pokemon and many other RPG series. So please, support Square Enix!

さよなら :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:00:39 am by Chaos Rush »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2019, 12:10:10 pm »
Thanks for updating all your hacks! These are pretty darn close to being the "definitive" way to play them now.

And good luck on your Steam game, hope it blows up for you.
Spoiler:
(in a good way :P)

Cristal

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2019, 02:53:12 pm »
Thank you for your contributions, Chaos Rush. I'll make sure to play all your translations until the end when I have the time to do so. :)

And best of luck in your own game!

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2019, 07:21:43 pm »
Updates for the whole trilogy have been submitted to the database queue. These are the changelogs:

FF1: v1.3 - October 24th, 2019
-fixed the typo "Garland was a good knight"

FF1 Restored - 2019 Script Port: v1.3 - October 24th, 2019
-script updated to v1.3 of the translation

FF2: v1.7 - October 24th, 2019
- slightly updated font to match FF3 translation
- typo fixed (poorf --> poor)
- Beelezbub --> Beelzbub (kinda a typo fix but also had to abbreviate a bit due to lack of squish tiles)
- battle typo fixed ("Brea[glitchtile]" --> "Breth" short for Breath)
- "Mana" --> "M.Power" (for consistency with official FF2)
- B-Button Dash now optional patch

FF3: v1.3 - October 24th, 2019
- minor adjustment in stat screen

----

In addition to that, I am releasing my FF1 text editor, AirshipText. It supports full text editing of pretty much any NES/Famicom version of FF1, and also has partial support for FF2 (can view text in the Japanese and translated versions). I am choosing not to put it on the database for now due to its rather incomplete state.

AirshipText link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j7r6c4980uux1x8/AirshipText.zip/file

----

And lastly...

But sadly, there's a catch. Unfortunately, saving in FF1 overwrites save slots 1-2 of FF2. I tried looking into why this happens, and could not find the cause. I even did a byte comparison of the FF2 portion of the multicart with vanilla FF2 and the only thing that's different is a typo in the Japanese intro text, along with some data bytes at the end. After some testing, I concluded that merely altering a byte in the intro text of the FF2 portion causes the save issue (meaning it probably reads a checksum perhaps?), so I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

So, when playing FF2 on the multicart patch, please only use save slots 3 and 4. Sadly because of this issue, I will not submit it to the database. With that said, this has my FF1 v1.3 patch and FF2 v1.7 patch on one cart. This is purely for novelty/experimental purposes!

FF1 and 2 Experimental Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0s51y7wxtdvtvfr/FF1%262Translation.zip/file

----

With that said, I would like to move on from ROM hacking now and focus my time and efforts on my own game. I won't be updating these translations anymore, so if anyone wants to take over and update them further, feel free to do so.

But also, support Square Enix for making these amazing RPG's in the first place. They helped shape the genre into what it is today. While I didn't get introduced to Final Fantasy until my late teens, I grew up playing the Pokemon series, and after playing the early Final Fantasy titles it's evident how much Final Fantasy influenced Pokemon and many other RPG series. So please, support Square Enix!

さよなら :)

You’re a class act, Chaos. Thanks for tying a bow on these amazing translations. These are the three versions I will be playing from now on. Best of luck in your new project and everything you do going forward!

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2019, 03:14:05 am »
The FF1 required pre-patch "AstralEsper’s Final Fantasy Restored v1.0 hack" appears to be broken in some way.

First, the ips applies without warning to the header and non-header version of the rom. The crc32 appears to indicate non-header but considering what happens next i don't even know.

Then if i try to apply the RNG patch, flips freaks out and says it applied but was malformed on both cases. A very bad sign imo.

Then I check the chaos rush retranslation required crcs:

Database match: Final Fantasy (USA)
    Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180803-121122)
    File SHA-1: B0ED4E1573260187E31DA715CED28806EA4A81DA
    File CRC32: 5C892F3B
    ROM SHA-1: C9CFBF5455085E198DCE039298B083CD6FC88BCE
    ROM CRC32: CEBD2A31

Ok, two versions, before and after right? First the 'before' (no-header original rom) is last is counterintuitive.

Then it doesn't indicate what sort of patch checksum was i supposed to end up for the AstralEsper rom (unless it's 5C892F3B, which is unlikely because the (un)headered X RNG combinations don't end with that; - which is fair enough since there were multiple options - but not helpful because now i don't know if the AstralEsper rom is broken as the RNG patch+flips says it is.

Then it since 5C892F3B is not a final result of AstralEsper rom i'm forced to assume it's what happens after this patch is applied, which can't be right because AstralEsper's rom has optional patches

this is the table of (un)header x RNG patched roms for AstralEsper patch:

94178b2c   a.nes header, main patch
872d1677   b.nes header, main patch, rng patch
68a97a09   c.nes main patch
2151b684   d.nes main patch rng patch

and this is that table after all have the chaos rush FFRestored2019ScriptPortv1.3 patch applied:

8d9eeb79   a.nes
9ea47622   b.nes
416cdb98   c.nes
08941715   d.nes

None of them matches the mysterious 5C892F3B on the FFRestored2019ScriptPortv1.3 page, which i assume that if this isn't broken is yet another result of AstralEsper optional patch.

I wouldn't even care about the crc if i didn't suspect the RNG patch was broken and i had any indication if it was supposed to be headered or unheadered. As it is, the chaos rush retranslation indicates unheadered sort of, but with the problems above...

Anyway this is a mess. Could you please make the AstralEsper patch unnecessary? There are no rules against using another patch as a base and incorporating it if you target a different rom. With the RNG patch if possible.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:17:42 pm by SCO »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 02, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »

FF1 and 2 Experimental Patch Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0s51y7wxtdvtvfr/FF1%262Translation.zip/file

Have you checked it is an emulator issue? Does the Japanese game save correctly?
I do know the multi-cart uses an extremely unusual mapper variant. I think it was called SXROM. To not only expand the ROM to 512KB as SOROM does, but to also bankswap SRAM (expanded to 16KB). This might have even been the only game to do it. Wouldn't be surprised if it's commonly done with a hash check.
I know I read some Koei game used even larger SRAM (which split into two chips with only one retained with battery-backup), but I assume it was an MMC5 game since Koei seemed to really like that mapper, for whatever they were doing that needed it. (I don't think I'm alone saying I'm just not intellectual enough to figure out how to play a single Koei game on the NES. :D )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

vahn65

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2019, 01:22:11 am »
I was wondering How would you make FFII's 1.7 updated translation work with the Jade editor all the text in the editor shows up as symbols and gibberish.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:20 pm »
It seems that Chaos Rush forgot to change Mana to M.Power in battle level up text, rather than simply in the stat window. After a bit of rooting around, I found the necessary addresses to change, though finding the pointers gave me a hell of a time because I, once again, forgot to account for the 16-byte difference caused by the header. Headers really are such bothersome things.

Code: [Select]
0x17367: 55 B6 5B B6 62 B6 69 =====> 51 B6 57 B6 5E B6 65
0x1765A: B1 B7 A8 AF AF A8 A6 B7 00 00 00 9C B3 AC B5 58 00 8A AA AC 64 B7 BC 00 9C B7 A4 B0 3C A4 00 96 3F A4 =====> 5E A8 46 A8 A6 B7 00 9C B3 AC B5 58 00 8A AA AC 64 B7 BC 00 9C B7 A4 B0 3C A4 00 96 C0 99 B2 BA 42 00
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:07:19 pm by redmagejoe »

vahn65

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2019, 04:36:55 am »
Nevermind I was able to fix it! Thanks again thanks to you I have the most complete way of playing The NES Trilogy!