Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 41758 times)

Special

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2019, 01:00:03 am »
... Hopefully I can get the update out during this week...

Hours later, done. :thumbsup:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2019, 11:25:52 pm »
Just gave the plain translation a spin and it looks good so far. I tried adding other patches just to see if they worked (nibbles27's Decap font package has a B Button dash and expanded battle background patches), and unfortunately they do not. They are meant to work on US FFI so I figured as much. I would like to see that added as extras to this project, which I'm sure you were looking at doing.

I was wondering if you were going to update the battle screen to say Attack instead of fight, and Drink instead of Meds. I don't know why, but Meds makes me think of it in a negative context.

In the menu, I think that Stats should be Status if possible. Of course, if you still have room in the font. While gil might not be capitalized in gameplay, I think it should in the menu as it is in other releases. So if an NPC were to say "It's 30 gil a night." would be correct, but in the menu it looks confusing to me (probably because of the US font).

Also, in the character naming screen, I noticed that you added some extra dual letter tiles (like "ll") for names. However, there is a double li instead of an il. I'm using the US font so I don't know if that makes a difference.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2019, 01:16:11 am »
I was wondering if you were going to update the battle screen to say Attack instead of fight, and Drink instead of Meds. I don't know why, but Meds makes me think of it in a negative context.
  • Fight
  • Magic
  • Pills
  • Items
  • Run
It seems ironic once you think about it.

Then again, Drink also sounds like it's in a negative context.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:21:59 am by 91-MPH »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2019, 01:28:15 am »
  • Fight
  • Magic
  • Pills
  • Items
  • Run
It seems ironic once you think about it.

Then again, Drink also sounds like it's in a negative context.

Drink is a little different in context to the term Meds, or in your suggestion Pills. But it is the term that's used in official releases.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 02, 2019, 10:34:06 am »
Just gave the plain translation a spin and it looks good so far. I tried adding other patches just to see if they worked (nibbles27's Decap font package has a B Button dash and expanded battle background patches), and unfortunately they do not. They are meant to work on US FFI so I figured as much. I would like to see that added as extras to this project, which I'm sure you were looking at doing.

In the menu, I think that Stats should be Status if possible. Of course, if you still have room in the font. While gil might not be capitalized in gameplay, I think it should in the menu as it is in other releases. So if an NPC were to say "It's 30 gil a night." would be correct, but in the menu it looks confusing to me (probably because of the US font).

Also, in the character naming screen, I noticed that you added some extra dual letter tiles (like "ll") for names. However, there is a double li instead of an il. I'm using the US font so I don't know if that makes a difference.
As always, thank you for your suggestions, I’ll try and come out with an update this weekend. With those battle commands, those were the literal translations and for some reason I didn’t think to have it match the FF2 & FF3 translations and remakes lol, and I do agree that “Attack” and “Drink” makes more sense in this case.

For the b-button dash, I think I will try and do it as a stand-alone patch for the Japanese version of FF1 (but include it with the translation as well). A future update of FF2 will also have the B-Button dash as a separate patch.
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2019, 04:05:25 am »
So, I recently played the PS1 version of FF1 for the first time. Currently I'm kinda in a playthrough of PS1 FF2. In the past I've played both the GBA and the PSP versions of both.

Is it worth playing the NES versions (with these translations of course)? In terms of stuff other than the translations themselves, are they a huge step back from the other versions (no need for all the repetitive bonus dungeons though) or is the translation alone worth playing this over the PS1 versions for?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2019, 07:30:59 am »
Depends on your tolerance for very old-school gameplay mechanics such as the lack of auto-retargeting and MP pools subdivided by spell level instead of one big pool for all spells.  That, and only being able to save in Inns or on the overworld if you have a Tent/Cabin.

The former is the most jarring thing for the uninitiated, as you can't just mindlessly select "Attack" on the first enemy with all your fighters and expect the battle to wrap up quickly, as you'll end up with 2-3 characters per turn uselessly swinging their sword at an already-defeated mob because your first character already defeated it. 

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2019, 08:07:53 am »
So, I recently played the PS1 version of FF1 for the first time. Currently I'm kinda in a playthrough of PS1 FF2. In the past I've played both the GBA and the PSP versions of both.

Is it worth playing the NES versions (with these translations of course)? In terms of stuff other than the translations themselves, are they a huge step back from the other versions (no need for all the repetitive bonus dungeons though) or is the translation alone worth playing this over the PS1 versions for?

Depends on what you’re looking for. Are you trying to have a different experience and get a sense of what it was like to play the game when it was first released? If you’re looking for a historical tour of the past, a greater challenge, or you just love NES graphics/music, go for it.

If you’re looking for a fun game to casually play, you’ll probably end up frustrated. Especially having recently played modern versions of the same game that make it more accessible, familiar, and easy to play.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »

I don't have to say much because svenge already awnsered you, but for me, FF1 NES is only playable more for historic values than casual playing, that is because the battle system and story are really old for today standards and posterior games did the concept better

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2019, 07:26:14 pm »
PS1 "Normal" mode largely plays the same as the NES.
The most significant gameplay-affecting things (well, aside from bugs, not sure how those compare :P ) is that the PS1 version gives you an essentially infinite inventory whereas NES limited you to holding four weapon and four "armor" items per character (if you find seemingly garbage equipment in chests in the PS1 version, it is because the designers were exploiting a design limitation of the NES version to troll the player: if the inventory is full, it won't tell you what the item is unless you trash something).
The other change is that the NES version did not let you delete unwanted spells. Once you filled a character's three slots, that was it, no changing your mind on the fourth spell.

The other gameplay changes were made options on the PS1: running, being able to cure dead or petrified characters in battle, and redirecting attacks against dead targets (aka "Ineffective attacks." A lot of people like auto-targeting but some seeing playing under the threat of wasting turns as a challenge to play better.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2019, 03:52:11 am »
Wow, loads of responses. I played the 'easy' mode on PS1 last time I played FF1. To be fair it felt even easier than the handheld versions (probably because the bosses' HP still is lower like in the older versions while some stuff has been made easier for you). Although I do think auto retargeting makes battles in and of themselves less interesting, I guess that after countless random encounters, I'll probably be sick of it. So yeah I'll stick to PS1 (prefer the more zoomed out camera and not being able to save anywhere, stuff the handheld versions introduced).

So thanks a bunch.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2019, 07:46:50 pm »
v1.2 has been submitted in the queue. It alters a line within the shop text when buying/selling to read more naturally (thanks to Neon Streetlight for the line suggestion) and also updates the in-battle "Fight" and "Meds" commands to "Attack" and "Drink”, respectively, and also fixes a small error in the naming screen (thanks to Rodimus Primal for these suggestions and pointing out the naming screen error). The FFRestored patch will not be receiving an update to go with it because v1.2 only alters text that wasn't altered to begin with in FFRestored.

No b-button dash patch yet, sorry :( I just got myself a SNES Classic so I'm spending my limited free time playing it. I'll get around to it eventually.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:54:49 pm by Chaos Rush »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2019, 11:52:03 pm »
PRAISE DE SLUFFY!!!

\o/ \o/ \o/

Wait, what? Where's sluffy?

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2019, 03:01:42 am »
Wait, what? Where's sluffy?

Nowhere. I was just expressing my happiness back then, for the canonical retranslation of FFI on the NES being green lit.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2019, 02:21:44 pm »
I know the idea is to keep the game's features as faithful as possible, but along with the b-button dash could make it compatible with that too?

I use this hacks combination to get the ultimate FF version (all are incompatible with its translation because it is based on the Japanese version):

1) Final Fantasy Decapitalization Font by nibbles27.

2) Final Fantasy Original (FF1 Retranslation/Restoration) v2.21 by The Collector.
(I had to edit some words like Gil and Drink later.)

3) Dynamic Action Selection patches:

1-Final Fantasy_Dynamic Action Selection Patch for Final Fantasy (U).ips
2-Final Fantasy_Dynamic Action Selection Battle Fix.ips
3-Final Fantasy_Dynamic Action Selection Unofficial Update.ips

4) FINAL FANTASY - DOUBLED v1.0 (20180211) Hack by Psyklax.

5) Final Fantasy - Kung Fu - Bug Fix - Version 0.8 (alpha) by Levi “Karatorian” Aho.

6) Extra's: (these are also compatable with any FF rom) from Final Fantasy Decapitalization Font hack:

faster-windows.ips 
- Make dialogue windows scroll faster instead of waiting a few seconds to scroll

full-battle-screen-no-border.ips 
- Remove the middle border in battles to show full screen battles like other FF's

medium-dash-B-enhancement.ips   
- Add's medium speed dash ability in town and on map with B button

respond-rate.ips             
- Changes title screen default respond rate to fastest - "8"

But if you introduce the B-button dash and the screen I showed you in your hack, I will definitely adopt it as the ultimate FF ever, finally congratulations and thank you so much for all your great work. :thumbsup: :beer:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:27:26 pm by darthvaderx »

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2019, 10:56:56 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm playing the FF II retranslation and found two errors. On the list of airship destinations for Cid it says "Semite" instead of "Semitt." Second, when you cast Protect, it says "Def.Up up!" Probably should say "Defense up". I hope that is helpful to point out! I really appreciate the new translation! :)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2019, 03:05:37 pm »
Hello everyone, sorry for being silent these past couple months.

I’ve started developing my own 2D RPG that I hope to release on Steam and eventually smartphones and consoles. I think it is in my best interest to stop working on these translations, so there won’t be any more updates.

Thank you all for your support.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2019, 04:09:08 pm »
Heheh, that's Chaos Rush for you.

Good luck on your work! What's the title gonna be?

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 15, 2019, 06:36:55 pm »
Wow, talk about interesting! What kind of engine are you using? I've made a couple RPG Maker games, so I tend to get curious regarding indie games.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2019, 11:00:54 pm »
Congratulations on moving on to your own game, and good luck!