Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 33543 times)

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2019, 01:20:08 am »
Hmm......playing FF games in their original format? I once tried that, but there's no adequate translation for FF4, so I just went for the remakes. If you decide to tackle FF4 SFC after you're done with FFI though, then I don't see the harm in witnessing such an evolution. ;)

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2019, 01:20:57 pm »
Hmm......playing FF games in their original format? I once tried that, but there's no adequate translation for FF4, so I just went for the remakes. If you decide to tackle FF4 SFC after you're done with FFI though, then I don't see the harm in witnessing such an evolution. ;)

The Namingway Edition is a pretty adequate translation of FFIV, cause it borrows names, terminologies and quotes from the remakes.

You could give that a try.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2019, 01:25:48 pm »
The Namingway Edition is a pretty adequate translation of FFIV, cause it borrows names and terminologies from the remakes.

You could give that a try.

I'd say it's the best translation, since the DS translation is overly flowery and the PSP one is based on the faulty GBA version.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »
Well, I just took another look at Namingway, and sure enough, it does indeed update the script as a whole. I thought it only tweaked the names/items to be consistent with the rest of the series. Thanks for the tip!

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2019, 08:36:37 pm »
If you're patching the Japanese version, are you going to include any of the graphical improvements made to the US version?

https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2019, 11:43:06 pm »
If you're patching the Japanese version, are you going to include any of the graphical improvements made to the US version?

Which changes do you consider improvements? Most of changes were censoring changes. I’d prefer leaving it alone.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2019, 11:57:45 pm »
Which changes do you consider improvements? Most of changes were censoring changes. I’d prefer leaving it alone.

Probably sprites like the Ninja casting a spell, the Master's hair, the White Mage and Fighter injured, and the White Wizard's head. I'm also curious if you were going to use the weapon icons as well, just used in reverse of how FFI US did it (Wooden (nunchuck icon).

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2019, 11:58:44 pm »

If you would actually read the article, many errors in sprites, such as the White Wizard, were fixed.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2019, 01:03:28 am »
thanks to svenge for providing the logo, i take back what i said about the box art for FFI.

That, and the reason why i'm doing this is because the official box art still references crystals as orbs. XP

here's the original in it's more polished look:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:09:18 am by 91-MPH »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2019, 02:14:23 am »

No because then that would kind of ruin the point of translating the Japanese ROM in the first place.

Probably sprites like the Ninja casting a spell, the Master's hair, the White Mage and Fighter injured, and the White Wizard's head. I'm also curious if you were going to use the weapon icons as well, just used in reverse of how FFI US did it (Wooden (nunchuck icon).
I’m not going to change any of the sprites because I didn’t change any of the sprites in FF2 or FF3 either.

But, I may end up using weapon icons (but format them like how FF2 and FF3 does). I’m still messing around with expanding menus and such, so I haven’t fully decided the parameters for item names yet (probably going to be capped at 9 characters for key items and 6 characters for regular items unless people don’t mind the quantity number being printed right next to the item without a space, then could be 7 items).

Hey, Chaos Rush, I've played your retranslation of FFIII up to Tozus so far, and I'm happy to report that I have found only one minor bug in that time. The bug in question is that the in-battle message for when an enemy wakes up seems to be bugged, as shown on the below screenshot.

I know you're probably focused on translation FFI at the moment, but could you please take the time to look into this bug? I like your retranslation so far, and so I want to see it become even better.
Thank you for pointing that out. Can you confirm that you’re playing v1.2? I have a theory on what’s causing it (it’s probably reading from a DTE char even though I thought I disabled it for battles) but first I want to make sure you have v1.1 or v1.2 because in those versions I fixed the repeated character bug that people were talking about in earlier pages.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:52:47 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2019, 06:23:50 am »
If you would actually read the article, many errors in sprites, such as the White Wizard, were fixed.

No need for an attitude, it was a genuine question and I did read the article before asking it.

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2019, 06:47:35 am »
No because then that would kind of ruin the point of translating the Japanese ROM in the first place.
I’m not going to change any of the sprites because I didn’t change any of the sprites in FF2 or FF3 either.

Thank you for that. I feel the new sprites had nothing of an improvement (except the White Wizard's one).

That being said, the font looks really good in FF1 and I really like the tight space between the lines. For FF3, your translation looks nice but I'm not fond aesthetically of cramped magics and jobs name. Maybe someday it would be possible to find a solution for that.

Congratulation to you again  :beer:

La forêt... en pleine Beauce

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2019, 02:19:38 pm »

That's true, and any removal of religious themes would hardly seem vanilla.

But...

Then again, this is an epic-fantasy world, meaning any Christian or Jewish references would hardly make sense, or fit in with this alternate reality.

Unless, these references were allegorical.

(I'm just being ironic.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:31:32 pm by 91-MPH »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2019, 03:07:47 pm »
Just like the spoony bard, there's just some things you don't mess with.

Weird tho, people mess with me all the time  ;D

Looks great duder. I'm looking forward to when you get done.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2019, 03:47:03 pm »
A Color restoration for the GBA version of FFIV is a great idea but the idea of include downscaled battle backgrounds from the PSP version is where i automatically disagree

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2019, 04:03:58 pm »
A Color restoration for the GBA version of FFIV is a great idea but the idea of include downscaled battle backgrounds from the PSP version is where i automatically disagree
Not to veer too off-topic regarding FF4 but you can’t “restore” the colors in the battle backgrounds from the GBA version because they were redone completely and there’s no reference material to restore it to, but they’re still overtly bright because it’s a GBA game. It’s not pixel art, it’s already a downscaled painting/drawing to begin with. And most of the battle backgrounds from the PSP version seem to be based off of the same source paintings/drawings that the GBA version used, just not brightened. Either way the PSP battle BG’s is the only thing closest to reference colors for the GBA battle BG’s.

With that said I’m not sure if I’ll ever mess with FF4 GBA. While working with GBA is convenient for a variety of reasons, the GBA port suffers from lag and the fast pace of the original SNES version is completely ruined in that. Maybe someday it could be fixed.

EDIT:
Don't want to double post so I'll just edit this, but here's some screenshots of progress on FF1:

Some things to note:
* key items capped at 9 tiles
* regular items capped at 7 tiles
* equipment capped at 8 tiles
* spells capped at 7 tiles
* enemy names capped at 10 tiles
* these abbreviation choices are not final; I’m considering implementing icons for staffs and hammers

I do plan on expanding player names to 5 or 6 characters. So far ASM edits haven't been too bad because Disch's FF1 disassembly has been useful (even though the disassembly is for the US FF1, the offsets aren't too far off from the Japanese version anyways so it saves me a lot of trouble).

Obviously this won't be as fancy of a makeover as Final Fantasy Restored. I'm not trying to make the definitive FF1, I'm just trying to make an English version of the original FF1 as it is and approach it the same way that I did FF2 and FF3. Hope you guys can understand that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:35:44 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2019, 03:18:18 am »
I'm very impressed by your work on Final Fantasy II and III. I have no doubts that you will make an awesome version of the first game. Don't let those who want to turn your work into something it's not turn you down.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2019, 04:14:11 am »
I'm very impressed by your work on Final Fantasy II and III. I have no doubts that you will make an awesome version of the first game. Don't let those who want to turn your work into something it's not turn you down.

HEAR, HEAR!!!!   :beer: :beer: :beer:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2019, 11:08:08 am »
Not to veer too off-topic regarding FF4 but you can’t “restore” the colors in the battle backgrounds from the GBA version because they were redone completely and there’s no reference material to restore it to, but they’re still overtly bright because it’s a GBA game. It’s not pixel art, it’s already a downscaled painting/drawing to begin with. And most of the battle backgrounds from the PSP version seem to be based off of the same source paintings/drawings that the GBA version used, just not brightened. Either way the PSP battle BG’s is the only thing closest to reference colors for the GBA battle BG’s.

With that said I’m not sure if I’ll ever mess with FF4 GBA. While working with GBA is convenient for a variety of reasons, the GBA port suffers from lag and the fast pace of the original SNES version is completely ruined in that. Maybe someday it could be fixed.

EDIT:
Don't want to double post so I'll just edit this, but here's some screenshots of progress on FF1:

Some things to note:
* key items capped at 9 tiles
* regular items capped at 7 tiles
* equipment capped at 8 tiles
* spells capped at 7 tiles
* enemy names capped at 10 tiles
* these abbreviation choices are not final; I’m considering implementing icons for staffs and hammers

I do plan on expanding player names to 5 or 6 characters. So far ASM edits haven't been too bad because Disch's FF1 disassembly has been useful (even though the disassembly is for the US FF1, the offsets aren't too far off from the Japanese version anyways so it saves me a lot of trouble).

Obviously this won't be as fancy of a makeover as Final Fantasy Restored. I'm not trying to make the definitive FF1, I'm just trying to make an English version of the original FF1 as it is and approach it the same way that I did FF2 and FF3. Hope you guys can understand that.

Really nice work so far. Definitely use Staff and Hammer icons as it will look cleaner. Also, consider a Font Options for folks who want either the original NES font, US FFII, or US FFIII (Chicago).

As far as box art is concerned, these are what I use -

Or some alternatives:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:13:09 am by Rodimus Primal »

Mirage

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2019, 04:44:42 pm »
Thank you for pointing that out. Can you confirm that you’re playing v1.2? I have a theory on what’s causing it (it’s probably reading from a DTE char even though I thought I disabled it for battles) but first I want to make sure you have v1.1 or v1.2 because in those versions I fixed the repeated character bug that people were talking about in earlier pages.
I double-checked just now. It's version 1.2.