Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 41827 times)

91-MPH

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III Translation (EN) - Take Two!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 02:32:04 pm »
Actually, just to point out, if you're gonna hack the title screen, you might as well use the ones on the cover boxes here, either that, or the original FF boxart (which is somewhat similar to the FF4 rendition but not really). IMO if you want to go full purist I'd say FF1 but I honestly prefer tbe stylized ones in the FF2/3 boxart. Buy hey, that's if you want to hack them, obviously. You didn't hack the FF3 one iirc (not sure about FF2, because there is a title screen hack of FF2 so I'm unsure), so I'm guessing you're not doing the same for FF1. Just throwing ideas, as usual.

Yes, the logo for the cover of FFI is "somewhat similar to the FF4 rendition, but not really", but at least it was released before the logos of FF4 & FF6 got that "localized" treatment.

Which is why I think giving FFI new box art isn't necessary.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:41:55 pm by 91-MPH »

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 10:57:58 pm »
I frequently recommend your FFII and III translations as the definitive versions of each, but the definitive version of FFI simply doesn’t exist yet. If you complete the trilogy, that would be amazing. Also excited at the prospect of you translating FFIV for all the same reasons you listed. Really glad you’ve returned to give us more great translations to play for years to come, and more importantly that you’re enjoying it.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 03:16:55 am »
Yes, the logo for the cover of FFI is "somewhat similar to the FF4 rendition, but not really", but at least it was released before the logos of FF4 & FF6 got that "localized" treatment.

Which is why I think giving FFI new box art isn't necessary.

I'd love to have this as a repro cart, though
https://imgur.com/a/SVgYJPz

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 03:52:59 am »
I don't really care for the concept of having FF1's circa-2002 logo (originally from the Final Fantasy Origins PS1 release) juxtaposed with its 1987 Famicom box art, at least in the context of a NES repro cartridge label.

That's not to say that I would mind combining multiple pieces of art from the orignal release's era (like the English-language logo found on the side of the Famicom version's box) on such a label, though.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 04:42:05 am »
I frequently recommend your FFII and III translations as the definitive versions of each, but the definitive version of FFI simply doesn’t exist yet. If you complete the trilogy, that would be amazing. Also excited at the prospect of you translating FFIV for all the same reasons you listed. Really glad you’ve returned to give us more great translations to play for years to come, and more importantly that you’re enjoying it.
Well, I don't think my FF1 translation would become the "definitive" FF1, since it's just the Japanese version in English with all the original bugs and inbalancedness intact and such. It probably wouldn't be much better than the actual US FF1.

But anyways, here's a screenshot of a new text editor I'm working on. I plan on having it support the entire FF NES trilogy.

Once I finish coding this tool, my FF1 translation will begin :) Yes I'm committing to doing it.
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 06:07:38 am »

To be fair, I'm not sure how NES FFI, in any form or shape, can be recommended to people as the 'definitive' Final Fantasy I, with the PS1 and PSP remakes around. I played the GBA version, PSP version, and finished the PS1 version of FF1 a few weeks ago, yet I've never even considered touching the NES one. All the others (I prefer PS1 over the others because of presentation and translation) seem much better. All this goes for FFII too.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 07:55:26 am »
To be fair, I'm not sure how NES FFI, in any form or shape, can be recommended to people as the 'definitive' Final Fantasy I, with the PS1 and PSP remakes around. I played the GBA version, PSP version, and finished the PS1 version of FF1 a few weeks ago, yet I've never even considered touching the NES one. All the others (I prefer PS1 over the others because of presentation and translation) seem much better. All this goes for FFII too.

I agree with you. I was referring to playing the original games in their most accurate original form, not the most fun or accessible way to play.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 09:20:17 am »
I won't have any problems playing his translation, I just wish that his translation was also made as an addendum for either FFRestored or Grond's FF.

Because those two hacks are what I consider the definitive Final Fantasy I game.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2019, 11:17:16 am »
Personally when playing through a series for the first time, I like to play a game in its original form rather than a remake so than I can see how its gameplay, graphics, and presentation evolved. Going from GBA/PSP FF2 to NES FF3 is a little strange to me, because then FF3 isn’t really much of an upgrade. Likewise going from DS FF4 to SNES FF5 is just as strange to me. Of course, once I’ve beaten a game in its original form then I’ll play the remake so I can appreciate the updates it offers.

For example, going from NES FF1 to NES FF2 you get to see how FF2 improved on these areas:
* improved battle HUD with new sliding menu
* expanded battle backgrounds a teeny tiny bit
* final boss actually has its own music
* an improved text engine with line scrolling within text boxes
* a much more character-driven story with twice the dialogue

Sure, the remake versions of FF1 already offer all of that, but then going from remake FF1 to remake FF2, FF2 suddenly upgrades a lot less to FF1.

Likewise, going from NES FF2 to NES FF3 you get:
* the classic “big blue bar at bottom” battle HUD is established for the first time
* improvements to battle HUD in general, such as the ability to view your entire inventory
* auto-targeting is added
* bosses now have boss music too, not just final boss
* major improvements to menus all-around, the original FF3 established the basic menu layout used from FF3-FF9

Again, you lose all these things when going from remake FF2 to either version of FF3, since then FF2 would already have all of these improvements, making FF3 suddenly offer a lot less that’s new.

I won't have any problems playing his translation, I just wish that his translation was also made as an addendum for either FFRestored or Grond's FF.

Because those two hacks are what I consider the definitive Final Fantasy I game.
I think you’d be missing the point of doing a FF1 translation, to be honest. Sounds like what you’re looking for is a title screen patch for FFR or GFF.

The whole point of translating the Famicom version of FF1 is so that people who want to play the original game with all of its original quirks intact can play it as it is. My projects aren’t “definitive edition” hacks, they’re just plain and simple translations with no gameplay alterations whatsoever. I would have no idea what kind of “addendum” I would do to a complete hack like FFR or GFF.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:41:13 am by Chaos Rush »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2019, 11:19:43 am »
I think you’d be missing the point of doing a FF1 translation, to be honest. Sounds like what you’re looking for is a title screen patch for FFR or GFF.

The whole point of translating the Famicom version of FF1 is so that people who want to play the original game with all of its original quirks intact can play it as it is. My projects aren’t “definitive edition” hacks, they’re just plain and simple translations with no gameplay alterations whatsoever. I would have no idea what kind of “addendum” I would do to a complete hack like FFR or GFF.
You're right. Sorry.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2019, 03:15:58 pm »
Personally when playing through a series for the first time, I like to play a game in its original form rather than a remake so than I can see how its gameplay, graphics, and presentation evolved. Going from GBA/PSP FF2 to NES FF3 is a little strange to me, because then FF3 isn’t really much of an upgrade. Likewise going from DS FF4 to SNES FF5 is just as strange to me. Of course, once I’ve beaten a game in its original form then I’ll play the remake so I can appreciate the updates it offers.

For example, going from NES FF1 to NES FF2 you get to see how FF2 improved on these areas:
* improved battle HUD with new sliding menu
* expanded battle backgrounds a teeny tiny bit
* final boss actually has its own music
* an improved text engine with line scrolling within text boxes
* a much more character-driven story with twice the dialogue

Sure, the remake versions of FF1 already offer all of that, but then going from remake FF1 to remake FF2, FF2 suddenly upgrades a lot less to FF1.

Likewise, going from NES FF2 to NES FF3 you get:
* the classic “big blue bar at bottom” battle HUD is established for the first time
* improvements to battle HUD in general, such as the ability to view your entire inventory
* auto-targeting is added
* bosses now have boss music too, not just final boss
* major improvements to menus all-around, the original FF3 established the basic menu layout used from FF3-FF9

Again, you lose all these things when going from remake FF2 to either version of FF3, since then FF2 would already have all of these improvements, making FF3 suddenly offer a lot less that’s new.

I completely agree. I enjoy playing through the originals partially as a walk through history. Seeing the evolution and additions is what helps me appreciate each entry. I think one of the reasons people bash FFII all the time is that they are already accustomed to nearly everything new it brought to the series. So for me, the definitive editions of these games are the purest versions that capture all of the contributions in their original form.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »
The thing is, vanilla US FF1 is pretty much unplayable by modern standards. The amount of bugs, the script style that looks straight out of a text-only "GO NORTH" RPG, 4 letters for everything, the word squishing that looks like an esoteric programming language, the unintuitive GUI... That's why mods like Restored and Grond are considered "definitive" from a certain POV. Of course there's merit on wanting the vanilla game, because after all it IS the vanilla game. Preservation and all that.

Taking all that into account, there are 3 possibilities I can see:
1.- a simple retranslation for the vanilla US ROM
2.- a retranslation + some conservative QOL enhancements that would have been made in a more thorough localization, like extended menu entries, nothing much different than what you or Square itself would do with a Japanese ROM to accomodate an English script, maybe a couple of critical bugfixes too (the patches are already out there, right?). For example, official vanilla FF6US has 6 letters for spell names, compared to 4 in FF6J.
3.- an optional patch for Restored/Grond that ports the redone script to it.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 06:10:10 pm »
I've began preliminary work on Final Fantasy. Not much to show right now, but I'm approaching this exactly the same way that I approached FF2 and FF3. Also, I got single-spaced line breaks working on the original Japanese ROM.

Here's some screenshots:

I want to make it clear that this is NOT the US ROM, this is a translation of the original Japanese ROM.

I've also renamed this topic to be a general thread for my translations of the trilogy, as opposed to just FF3.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 06:29:34 pm »
PRAISE DE SLUFFY!!!

\o/ \o/ \o/

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 06:37:24 pm »
You said you weren't going to rebalance the game, but would you consider bugfixes and the b-button dash like you did for FFII? Or at least making it compatible with Final Fantasy Restored?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2019, 06:56:44 pm »
You said you weren't going to rebalance the game, but would you consider bugfixes and the b-button dash like you did for FFII? Or at least making it compatible with Final Fantasy Restored?
Of course I’ll consider bug fixes, I would like to include them as optional patches (I know that right now the FF2 translation has the b-button dash by default but I’m going to make it optional in a future update because some people have requested that I remove it for authenticity). There’s a boundary between translation and hack, and I don’t want to cross over that boundary hence why I think anything that changes non-text behavior of the original game needs to be optional.

As I’ve said before, I’m not sure what I could do for Final Fantasy Restored (aside from using the new script I’m working on) because that’s already a complete finished project by someone else. Do people have issues with the script in that? I’ve added support for both Japanese FF1 and US FF1 in my new text editor I’m working on, so maybe once I’m finished with my script it might be possible to import it into FFR.

Cavery210

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 07:31:20 pm »
Will Garland still threaten to knock you down?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »
Will Garland still threaten to knock you down?
Yes, him, Garland, will knock you all down!!

Just like the spoony bard, there's just some things you don't mess with.

Mirage

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2019, 09:16:34 pm »
Hey, Chaos Rush, I've played your retranslation of FFIII up to Tozus so far, and I'm happy to report that I have found only one minor bug in that time. The bug in question is that the in-battle message for when an enemy wakes up seems to be bugged, as shown on the below screenshot.

I know you're probably focused on translation FFI at the moment, but could you please take the time to look into this bug? I like your retranslation so far, and so I want to see it become even better.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2019, 10:56:39 pm »
Well, the bard WAS spoony and Garland actually threatened to kick them all around which is pretty much the same :D