Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 34208 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« on: June 20, 2019, 11:46:36 pm »
Hello, these are my translation projects for the Final Fantasy trilogy on the NES. The purpose of these is to simply provide an English version of the original Final Fantasy games but with terminology that matches the ones used in the remakes made by Square Enix, along with providing an accurate script. Of course, these are NES games so space is limited, so not everything is as expanded and detailed as I'd like it to be, but I do my best to fit as much as I can within the limited ROM space by using DTE compression. The scripts in general are a mix of my own translation while looking at the remake versions as a guide, but the only content present is what was in the original Famicom versions of the games (since their remakes on GBA and onwards often changed and expanded lines, and those changed/expanded lines were translated by Square Enix for the overseas releases of the remakes). I'm half-Japanese and lived in Japan when I was little, so I have a bit of a language background in Japanese, but my education was in English so language-wise I am English-dominant. A few years ago my Japanese was pretty rusty but I've worked to improve it as much as I can.

I want to make it clear that these projects are strictly translations, are are NOT hacks, and I will not do anything to "balance" the game. These are the original raw games as they are, but in English.

Originally, this project started with Final Fantasy II in 2015 (original topic can be found here). In 2016 I moved on to Final Fantasy III, but I made some bad decisions with that translation (expanding the ROM) so in 2019 I made a new version of it that keeps the original ROM size (this was originally the thread for that).  I am now working on Final Fantasy I.

Final Fantasy (original Japanese version, NOT US version)
Link: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4868/

Final Fantasy II
RHDN Link: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2656/

Final Fantasy III
RHDN Link: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4760/

Final Fantasy I & II
FF1 and 2 Experimental Patch Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0s51y7wxtdvtvfr/FF1%262Translation.zip/file
Unfortunately, saving in FF1 overwrites save slots 1-2 of FF2. I tried looking into why this happens, and could not find the cause. I even did a byte comparison of the FF2 portion of the multicart with vanilla FF2 and the only thing that's different is a typo in the Japanese intro text, along with some data bytes at the end. After some testing, I concluded that merely altering a byte in the intro text of the FF2 portion causes the save issue (meaning it probably reads a checksum perhaps?), so I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

Credits (FF1):
* Chaos Rush(me) - translation and hacking
* NeonStreetlight - script revision
* Disch - Final Fantasy US Disassembly (although it's for the US version, the offsets were similar to the Japanese version anyways)
* Lenophis - Battle DTE fixer upper (originally for US version but I ported it to Japanese version)
* Team dCode - for making the Bigram Analysis tool

Credits (FFII):
* Chaos Rush
* Square Enix - for making this game and remaking this game
* NeoDemiforce - for translating this game in 1998
* HackMew - for making Free Space Finder
* whoever made TileMolester
* whoever made TileMolester Alternate
* Vanya - stat name suggestions
* Rodimus Primal - intro text and general support
* vivify93 - formatting inspiration, as well as some item name suggestions
* SpiderDave - B-button dash

Credits (FFIII):
* Chaos Rush
* Team dCode - for making the Bigram Analysis tool (https://www.dcode.fr/bigrams)
* Square Enix - for making the original game and remaking it
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:01:08 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

svenge

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III Translation (EN) - Take Two!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 03:52:03 am »
Looks good.  I'll put it on my NES Classic and give it a whirl.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:24:26 am »
I can’t believe how quickly you pulled this off. Plenty of people are going to be very happy!

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:51:14 am »
I can’t believe how quickly you pulled this off. Plenty of people are going to be very happy!
I still had all of my hacking notes on FF3 and the source code of my text editor from 2016 which also easily let me look at the scripts of both the old version and the Japanese script side-by-side, so most of the hard stuff was already done :) Was able to pretty much start text editing right away and didn’t have to waste time coding a text editor or waste hours doing ASM hacking. (I did do some extra ASM work though, there’s one small tile refresh glitch that’s fixed in this that wasn’t in the old version - the glitch originally occurred due to an expansion of menu sizes in-battle)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 09:44:25 am »
Wow! You got this done so quickly! I would love to give this a try once I get some spare time to play it. If someone did want to add a B Button dash, what's holding it back from being added? Just curious.

ianrace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:41:05 am »
I am definitely looking forward to trying this out. However, I can see a gramatic error in your fourth screenshot.

It should read "Mountains that surround these lands are ruled by..."

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 10:59:06 am »
Wow! You got this done so quickly! I would love to give this a try once I get some spare time to play it. If someone did want to add a B Button dash, what's holding it back from being added? Just curious.
There’s not enough bytes of free space in the data bank that the walking routine is located in. I’m not on my PC right now so I can’t check exactly, but I need at least like around 10 to account for disabling the dash if you have a following NPC character, and the data bank doesn’t even have 5 bytes of free space lol (its the last bank of the ROM).. It was doable in the MMC5 version because some data was freed up, but I don’t have notes on what data exactly, I just know that the offset I did it in the old version wasn’t free space to begin with. Until I can verify whether or not it’s used or unused data, it’ll have to stay out for now.

But I haven’t entirely given up on it though, just need to free up some space in the last ROM bank.

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:03:13 am »
That was fast! A few things I wanted to add

I know you mentioned how you could not include the B-running feature, but I wanted to try adding this hack which adds it to the original Japanese version in order to also have it with the original translation. The game booted up fine with no problems, however, I don't know if the two patches together break something else later in the game or when you meet the first NPC. Since I only had enough time to get the jobs from the wind crystal. Since I have midterms and a ton of homework I won't be able to really try this out now, but I did want to report the first bug. When using the South Wind Item I got this

I thought it could have been because of the two patches, but when I used your translation alone I got the same result.

Thank you for making this new translation Chaos Rush!

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:19:29 am »
That was fast! A few things I wanted to add

I know you mentioned how you could not include the B-running feature, but I wanted to try adding this hack which adds it to the original Japanese version in order to also have it with the original translation. The game booted up fine with no problems, however, I don't know if the two patches together break something else later in the game or when you meet the first NPC. Since I only had enough time to get the jobs from the wind crystal. Since I have midterms and a ton of homework I won't be able to really try this out now, but I did want to report the first bug. When using the South Wind Item I got this

I thought it could have been because of the two patches, but when I used your translation alone I got the same result.

Thank you for making this new translation Chaos Rush!
Huh, I had no idea that patch existed. If it works with the original, then it’ll work with this.

One thing though, in the old 1mb version, the way I implemented it accounted for disabling it if you had a partner character with you. The ad0220 translation didn’t account for this and caused weird glitches when running with a partner character. As for that hack, I don’t know if it’ll account for that either.

Thanks for pointing out the typo! I must say there’s a reason why I haven’t submitted the project to the main site yet, I’m gonna wait and see until more typos are found before pushing out v1.1. I haven’t done a play through of the whole game, just various parts from save files I have.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 11:24:45 am »
While I honestly don't care about hardware compatibility myself, I do love having a cleaner version of the translation available.
Fingers crossed for the dash feature!

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 03:14:59 am »
One suggestion I have is to have a colon follow the word "Found" when opening a chest, so that it reads "Found: ITEMNAME" instead of "Found ITEMNAME". 

The reason that I bring it up is while the current format looks fine for items that have a pictograph at the beginning of the name (e.g. Potion), it looks really awkward for items that don't have one (e.g. Leather Shield) as there's a gap of two spaces between "Found" and "Leather Shield".

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 08:26:16 am »
clicks 'notify'
BAM.

Very excited for this. It's time FF3 gets its 'definitive' translation.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »
I've played this up to the Tower of Owen thus far. In addition to the "South Winnd" thing that was reported earlier, the only other thing I ran into was this when talking to the elder after getting the Wind jobs.

Do note, I am also using these patches: B-Button Dash, Job System Improvement, and Final Fantasy III Redux. I have found no other oddities outside of this and the "Winnd" one.

So far so good! Thanks for continuing to work on this game!  :)

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 02:04:36 pm »
Hey Chaos!

Done with homework and my midterm is not until Tuesday, should be studying...but wanted to try the current patch from scratch again. A few more things I found.

I think this should be "Tomak, a village Elder"

Don't know if you meant to put Storage , but maybe house or shed would work best.

and last what I had called a bug before I meant to say typo, but it seems to actually be a bug. When selecting an item in battle with a long name it causes either the second to last character or the last character to repeat.

Since the "s" in Eye Drops does not fit, this happens

I think the character after the ellipsis is what is repeated.

Could anyone one who might be further in the game try an item with a long name to test in a battle to see what character repeats? Please provide a screenshot before using it to see if my hunch might be correct.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 02:49:02 pm »
@star_scream1646 Thanks for the screenshots. The bug regarding the item names having a repeated character has already been fixed for v1.1, just a single byte change. (Put 0xD8 at offset 0x0690CA to fix it)

Thanks for pointing out the typos as well, those will be fixed for next release.

Right now I'm trying to fix an issue that was also present in the Japanese version but not as visible - if a player character's name ends with a space, I'm trying to make it so that it won't look like, "Arc      :hey guys" and have instead show, "Arc:hey guys". This issue was also in the Japanese version but not as visible because whenever a PC talked it just used ambiguous quotation marks, but it could still be seen during certain dialogues when PC names are mentioned. Once I work that out I'll release v1.1.

Currently, the DTE-compressed script takes up 99.97% of the game's original text data area :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:15:49 pm by Chaos Rush »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 04:24:18 pm »
Semi-off topic, but I always wanted to ask if, even with this English translation, it would be possible to disassemble/reverse-engineer the source code of FFIII (FC/NES).

I say this because if everyone remembers, Square-Enix themselves said that they lost the source code of the original game, and we never got to see a PSX, WonderSwan Crystal, or GBA-style remake of it.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 06:26:48 pm »
v1.1 is up! https://www.mediafire.com/file/p2lciqq229lec8o/FF3Translation_v1_1.zip/file

The "South Winnd" glitch has been fixed. Here is the full changelog:
v1.1 - June 22nd, 2019
-formatting and text in intro was sligthly adjusted
-fixed minor text display glitch when using items in-battle
-fixed display glitch with Magus and Ninja in the job menu
-some typos fixed
-"Message Speed" changed to "Battle Speed"

Player names that are shorter than 6 characters will no longer display those extra spaces when someone is talking (look at Arc's name):

I've played this up to the Tower of Owen thus far. In addition to the "South Winnd" thing that was reported earlier, the only other thing I ran into was this when talking to the elder after getting the Wind jobs.

Do note, I am also using these patches: B-Button Dash, Job System Improvement, and Final Fantasy III Redux. I have found no other oddities outside of this and the "Winnd" one.

Weird, I'm not getting that on my end:

Probably one of the patches you're using is interfering with the text data. Try checking around 0x370BC to see if one of the patches you're using uses that area. The offset in v1.0 might differ slightly simply because my tool repacks all the text in the game.

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 07:53:52 pm »

Whoa, that is strange I did not get that from the bit I played, I have the B-button dash patch so it has to be one of the other two that caused that to happen.

Ramdemann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 08:48:16 pm »
This is great!

This is what I thought it was going to be in the first place.

Sometimes the extra polish can be too much at times, As it was said years ago from a kind guy at The Final Fantasy Compendium, Sometimes simple is just better.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 10:50:14 pm »
Here is the final release of the text editor I developed for FFIII, Onion Text:

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1226/

(I just updated it to v1.2 so make sure it's updated in the database before downloading)

Most of it was developed in 2016 during my previous attempt at making a translation hack of FF3, some small modifications were made to it again for this new translation (good thing I still had the source code). It will allow you to edit the text in the game and it will reinsert all of the text data in the allotted data area to make efficient use of space - it literally unpacks and repacks all of the extracted text back into the ROM. Hopefully I've provided enough resources and instructions in the link so that people can make their own translations into other languages.

This will be the last version of Onion Text, I won't be updating it any further. Up to this point I've coded exclusively in Java, but since I'm moving stuff over to a new PC and am finding difficulties with running Java programs on it, I think it's about time that I learn C++ lol. With that said this will probably be my last Java-made ROM hacking tool.

This is great!

This is what I thought it was going to be in the first place.

Sometimes the extra polish can be too much at times, As it was said years ago from a kind guy at The Final Fantasy Compendium, Sometimes simple is just better.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you, hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:42:03 pm by Chaos Rush »