News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Square-Enix is doubling down on re-releases.  (Read 2536 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Square-Enix is doubling down on re-releases.
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:53:21 am »
https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/12/square-enix-committed-to-making-its-complete-library-available-digitally

They're going to be working on making every game in their library available, and down the line, and it looks like they're eventually going into their own store platform (I hope they don't do streaming exclusive things, yuck).

I guess this means Trials of Mana isn't the first we'll see of newly official translated SNES games.  Hopefully they release the others like Mana Collection.  :o
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:30:24 pm by Chronosplit »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Square-Enix is doubling down on re-releases.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 11:49:53 pm »
Somehow I doubt that this development is what will finally bring us Square's Tom Sawyer (NES).  No one seems to want to touch that one.

And I kind of doubt we're finally going to see Treasure Conflix, Dynami Tracer, or Love is Balance, either.

Would they try to license Demi's translation of Radical Dreamers?  Translating it from scratch would be costly.

Maybe Mahojin Guru Guru and its sequel?  Technically Enix games, though.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 02:04:39 am »
Rad Racer. :D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 02:27:05 am »
Somehow I doubt that this development is what will finally bring us Square's Tom Sawyer (NES).  No one seems to want to touch that one.

And I kind of doubt we're finally going to see Treasure Conflix, Dynami Tracer, or Love is Balance, either.

Would they try to license Demi's translation of Radical Dreamers?  Translating it from scratch would be costly.

Maybe Mahojin Guru Guru and its sequel?  Technically Enix games, though.
Yeah that's the thing.  When they say "every game" I'm pretty sure they're omitting a lot and are mostly talking about the major titles.  People are talking big on preservation, but the spokesperson even went only as far back as NES.  I'd love to even see fan translations licensed as well!  Who knows what will happen on that front?

I'm pretty sure Enix games are on the table too though.  If nothing else, I expect an official NTSC Terranigma.  And probably a version of the Dragon Quest series, either in ROM form or ports from mobile (hey, IV-VI were actually good).

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 03:40:17 am »
a Terranigma remake would be amazing
free sluffy

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 03:57:43 am »
Does that mean we'll finally get the original SFC version of Final Fantasy V translated??  :o

I'd love an NES FF Trilogy(1-3) and an SNES FF Trilogy(4-6) Collections!! :D
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 11:02:19 am »
Rad Racer. :D

You're goofy. I like you :)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:08:30 pm »
I guess Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, and Granstream Saga are all technically Enix games, aren't they?  I would have expected them to do something with them already if they had all the rights.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 08:43:09 pm »
Not sure. It appears to be unknown who now owns Quintet or their assets.

Anyhow the Square-Enix library is downright MASSIVE. They absorbed Eidos and Taito, and by extension likely a substantial portion of their back catalogs. (from companies like U.S. Gold, Crystal Dynamics...)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 02:38:58 am »
Not sure. It appears to be unknown who now owns Quintet or their assets.

Anyhow the Square-Enix library is downright MASSIVE. They absorbed Eidos and Taito, and by extension likely a substantial portion of their back catalogs. (from companies like U.S. Gold, Crystal Dynamics...)
Actually that is known. Quintet games released through Enix are still under release rights with SquareEnix. The problem with that line of games is that they were not as popular outside Japan, even though they have a strong following. For example Soulblazer, IOG, Terranigma and Robotrek are still in my list of favorite SNES games. Would love to see a collection of Quintet games for the Switch, much like the Mana Collection!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:36:46 am by lexluthermiester »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 09:52:25 pm »
I suppose Tactics Ogre SNES could be likely if they are going through with SD3.
Whether to translate it or to buy out Atlus' translation.

However much Enix actually got done on DQ5 in the '90s is probably irrelevant at this point.

I think byuu has been asking for them to take his Bahamut Lagoon hacking work and use it to make an official translation.

They could easily release FF2, all they need to do is polish up the 1991 prototype. Like, fix the bad English but keep it otherwise intact.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 05:49:07 am »
Actually that is known. Quintet games released through Enix are still under release rights with SquareEnix. The problem with that line of games is that they were not as popular outside Japan, even though they have a strong following. For example Soulblazer, IOG, Terranigma and Robotrek are still in my list of favorite SNES games. Would love to see a collection of Quintet games for the Switch, much like the Mana Collaction!

I guess so. I'm not familiar with insolvency and dissolution of Japanese companies.
The games list Quintet alongside Enix in their copyright info.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:38:06 am »
I say go all the way back to the beginning and release "The Death Trap" part one and two. A good text adventure would be an interesting concept; not sure how it would do on consoles, but and Android version would be pretty cool (and would work).
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 09:48:09 pm »
I say go all the way back to the beginning and release "The Death Trap" part one and two. A good text adventure would be an interesting concept; not sure how it would do on consoles, but and Android version would be pretty cool (and would work).
I would like to see that.  Text adventures and gamebooks have a quiet little resurgence in mobile, mostly because the form factor works so darn well (especially with a larger tablet that you use to read ebooks).

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 07:39:24 pm »
Does that mean we'll finally get the original SFC version of Final Fantasy V translated??  :o

I'd love an NES FF Trilogy(1-3) and an SNES FF Trilogy(4-6) Collections!! :D

No way in hell... The mobile ports became the cheap standard already...

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 11:59:16 am »
No way in hell... The mobile ports became the cheap standard already...
That's not true, they might do it. Collections seem to be very popular these days. Their easy money-makers.

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 01:06:49 pm »
Screw the RPG's. How about a remake/ re-release of Rad Racer I and II?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 02:48:35 pm »
Screw the RPG's. How about a remake/ re-release of Rad Racer I and II?
What about remakes/re-releases of
  • Thexder
  • Tobal N°1
  • 3D Worldrunner
  • King's Knight
  • Chocobo Racing

Guess we're all waiting for those :D

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 02:53:30 pm »
King's Knight was recently redone as King’s Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon on mobile, and it was just as if not more crappy as the original.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 02:55:03 pm »
King's Knight was recently redone as King’s Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon on mobile, and it was just as if not more crappy as the original.
You're kidding me ? How could anyone have the idea to re-relase this game, and how could it possibily be worse ?