News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI: Retranslated  (Read 52379 times)

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI: Retranslated
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2019, 04:51:44 pm »
That's probably because the name label code <SHADOW> was inserted before his line, which shouldn't have a name label at all. The moogles use the slots for other characters not named yet.

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:42 am »
Hairy_Hen, do you plan to update this hack still?

hairy_hen

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2020, 12:34:31 am »
Yes.  I had not intended to be away for so long, but real life interfered and unfortunately I haven't been able to get back to it at all until very recently...

In the past few days I've made several fixes to the script.  So far I've corrected the Shadow naming issue mentioned earlier, added in the line of NPC dialog that Tomato helpfully translated, fixed the script/menu inconsistency for the name of the Brave Ring, improved the Emperor's dialog when he finds the Enchanted Continent, corrected the wrong name being used in a caption during the Fiend God battle, and rewrote all of the dialog during the scene where Sabin first meets the old man on the Veldt.  This began with catching a mistake I'd inadvertently introduced into the scene in a previous version (a line was incorrectly attributed to the old man but should really be spoken by Sabin), and then I ended up rewriting the whole thing when it occurred to me that most of the dialog here sounded awkward and could use some improvement.

I'll be looking through the rest of the script to see if there's anything else that could use further polishing, so there will probably be a few other fixes to go along with these.  I'll have to reinstall Windows to get the revised script into the game itself, but I don't think it'll take too long to get the new version ready.  I'm glad to see there is still interest in this project in the meantime.   :)

Kylikeit

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2020, 07:12:48 pm »
I certainly have been waiting for an update on this, and I'm glad to hear one is coming. This is my favorite way to play this game and I can't wait to see how it's improved.

hairy_hen

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2020, 12:23:32 am »
While I had believed the next update would contain only a few minor fixes to outstanding issues, in the course of going over the script again I've found a surprisingly high number of lines that can be further improved.

A great many of these are located in the beginning parts of the game.  When I think about it this makes sense, because when this project began in April of 2019 I had only planned on making changes to a few lines here and there, just to get the most obviously mistranslated stuff taken care of.  But the farther into I went the more extensive the rewrites became, as it began to sink in just how many issues there really were with the SNES script.  So it stands to reason that I would have taken more trouble to ensure translation accuracy in the later sections than I did in the beginning, since at that point I hadn't yet decided how far I really wanted to go with it.

Coming back to the project with a fresh perspective it's easier to see which parts of the script could still use more work, so I'm revising any lines which stand out to me as sounding odd or containing small inaccuracies that I may have allowed to pass before.  The dialog is still mostly the same as it was before, but significant portions of it now read better than they did.  Since the game was designed around the script as originally written in Japan, it is important to me to preserve the intentions of the writers as well as I can, although since any translation can only be an interpretation of the script rather than an exact transcription, there will of course still be some differences.

I had not intended to leave this hanging anywhere near this long (during part of that time I was sick with what I'm pretty sure was The Virus, though mostly I was just unavoidably busy), so I will get this new version out there as quickly as I can.  It's looking to be a pretty significant update in terms of quality, so hopefully it will be worth it for everyone who has been waiting in the meantime.  :)

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2020, 09:36:02 am »
So why not just port the GBA script into the SNES version?  Another project has already done this, and it is certainly a valid way to go.

Does anyone have a link to this project?

Hope you're feeling better, hairy_hen. I still enjoy this translation a lot, and I hope those bug fixes won't be too tricky.
free sluffy