News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with recompressing sprites with Lunar Compress?  (Read 571 times)

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
Help with recompressing sprites with Lunar Compress?
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:04:20 am »
So, I've been reading up on everything I can, and I've hit a wall with Lunar Compress;
I was able to decompress the ROM (Lufia & the Fortress of Doom) to a ComboFile.bin with 'sniff' and find the sprites I wanted to edit in that, but I can't figure out how to take that Combo File and put it back into the ROM.
The recompressor wants a specific address, but a combo file would have a variety of offsets in one file...

So is the Combo File just useless? Or is there some way to use it to put my sprites back into the game?

FuSoYa

• View Profile
    • FuSoYa's Niche
Re: Help with recompressing sprites with Lunar Compress?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:28:03 am »
Sniff is a brute force tool, so the combo file it can create is mainly just for looking through to quickly find the graphics you want.  Once you find them, you look at the file offset they're at then check in the log file to get the starting address in the ROM for the compressed structure that had those tiles.

At that point, you'd normally use decomp to extract just that structure to a file, edit it, and then you can use recomp to put it back.  Although in your case, you may want to copy your already modified tiles into that file from the combo file with your tile editor.

You'll probably also want to compress it to a separate file first just to check if the compressed size is going to be the same size or smaller than the original. 

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
Re: Help with recompressing sprites with Lunar Compress?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:12:05 am »
Ah, I see; thank you! <3