Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story English translation v2.08

Started by FlamePurge, June 06, 2019, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

julayla

I know how you feel about that. An MSU-1 hack would be amazing, especially using the song from the Sailor Moon Another Story CD for the ending instead of just Moonlight Densetsu.

FlamePurge

Quote from: Dasha-Supa on March 18, 2022, 10:15:21 AMIs there any interest in doing a MSU-1 hack of this game?
Quote from: Vehek on March 18, 2022, 03:25:11 PMFor a while several years ago, I privately made a MSU-1 hack. It wasn't very advanced, just blindly playing music without any fading or any volume adjustments.
The music for the opening sequence with the comet is just the second half of the track "Suspense & Illusion".
Quote from: julayla on March 20, 2022, 09:06:11 AMAn MSU-1 hack would be amazing
Did I hear some folks asking for an MSU-1 hack?

I am proud to present Moon Healing Orchestration, another joint effort with mziab. You can discuss it here or in my main project thread (Linked in my signature), I don't mind. :)
Check out and discuss my projects

mziab

To expand upon what FlamePurge wrote, this had been in the works for much longer than you might think. The files from my original proof-of-concept hack are dated... January 2012!

While working on the relocalization in 2019, we got to talking about how it would be cool to actually finish my MSU-1 mod that had just been sitting there. Some bugs to fix aside, there was the problem of sourcing the right tracks. Some didn't exist on any OST, while others were actually hold-overs from the anime or the beat-'em-ups also by Angel. In 2021 we had almost all of this figured out and even asked Spooniest to record his arrangements of a few game-original tracks. Then, for boring real-life reasons, they project stayed in limbo for a year, until I had the chance to sit down and fix the remaining bugs and even implement proper fades, while FlamePurge took it upon himself to do the audio editing part of the project and worked tirelessly till all loop points sounded like they should.

Kudos to qwertymodo for his msupcm tool, which made the process of generating the PCMs, as well as the distribution, much easier. The wav2msu version that's floating around seems to have some bugs with how it handles arguments, so you can't use multiple options at once. Curiously, an old build of wav2msu I have from 2012 doesn't seem to have this problem. Anyway, I was really happy to find a better replacement for it, which lets you add effects to boot!

Incidentally, June 10th marks 3 years since the initial release of our relocalization, so what better way to celebrate the anniversary, right? ;)

ran

What a great coincidence, I was planning to replay the game, so I thought I'd check this thread for any translation updates/patches :D While the in-game music already provides a sense of nostalgia to me, playing the game with high-quality music is tempting enough to start playing once more. Thank you both for the work you've put into this extra patch!

mziab

Quote from: ran on June 11, 2022, 10:08:08 AM
What a great coincidence, I was planning to replay the game, so I thought I'd check this thread for any translation updates/patches :D While the in-game music already provides a sense of nostalgia to me, playing the game with high-quality music is tempting enough to start playing once more. Thank you both for the work you've put into this extra patch!

Cool, hope you enjoy! Even though I have much nostalgia for the game, the second I heard proper arrangements of some tracks, I couldn't go back to the old synths. It didn't use to bother me back in the day, but I guess ignorance is bliss, huh? :)

Anyway, in case anyone is on the fence whether they should give this a spin, here's a comparison video I made at FlamePurge's behest. The shrill prologue BGM and mangled rendition of Moonlight Densetsu sound particularly off in the original. Some of the other synths are actually decent, sample quality notwithstanding. But I'm not sure what's up with Moonlight Densetsu going completely off the rails at one point. At first I thought it might be either an emulation issue, but it sounds just as off-key in multiple emulators and on a clean Japanese ROM, so I guess this is entirely on Angel and possibly tight deadlines.

julayla

Yay, finally an MSU-1 patch. Now I can play it with the official music cues (AND the song that should've been the intended ending, Sunshine Moonlight for the ending credits song).

FlamePurge

Um, no, we didn't include Sunshine Moonlight. Sorry. The game uses the same track for the opening and ending, and short of removing a song and telling the game to play Sunshine Moonlight instead at the end, it's not possible.

Dasha-Supa

Just saw the news and I am very pleased that the team behind the relocalization has created a MSU-1 enhancement. Thank you.

Bosco82

The drum hits in the opening of the MSU-1 track really don't fit and the rest of the tracks go overboard just like every other MSU-1 soundtrack

FlamePurge

Quote from: Bosco82 on June 27, 2022, 09:28:46 PMThe drum hits in the opening of the MSU-1 track really don't fit and the rest of the tracks go overboard just like every other MSU-1 soundtrack
Then don't play it.