News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story English translation v2.03  (Read 14630 times)

Artemis-kun

• Retired oracle of anime
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story English translation v2.00
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 12:38:19 am »
Hey! Long time RHDN lurker, first time poster here. I'm chiming in because I'm super stoked to see this translation! Major props on the work you've done already, and I'm really excited about the prospects of a future rebalancing of the game. I've seen so many people recommend this game over the years and, as a childhood fan of the anime, I'm looking forward to finally trying it for myself.

That said, it doesn't seem to be working right for me? The game is translated, but I'm having an issue with the main dialogue font. My original ROM matches the CRC32, MD5, and SHA1 numbers, and I selected No Header on my IPS patcher, so theoretically it should work fine, right? I patched a version with just the translation and another applying the translation first and the no grind patch second, since I've never played the game and was worrying the no grind patch might be a little too easy, but both of the resulting ROMS have the issue. I'm using RetroArch's SNES9x core, and the issue happens on both my Wii U and my Windows RetroArch setups.

Probably easiest just to show you:

Apologies for the newbie-ish question but I've tried patching it a few times and genuinely can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

What are you using to patch the game? I've found that some tools are more problematic than others, and can cause this sort of thing to happen. The best tool I've always found to use over the years is Lunar IPS. It's possible there may also be some kind of display setting that is off, but I'd say if you didn't use Lunar IPS to patch, I'd try it with that first and see if it improves things.

timesoftrouble

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 02:13:03 am »
That's peculiar... You're applying it to the unheadered, unaltered JP ROM, right? Not a ROM with BST's fan translation applied first?

What are you applying it with? We were using Floating IPS.

I patched the same ROM with Floating IPS and it worked. :thumbsup: I was using takashi's SNES ROM Utility, which admittedly is pretty ancient; I've been passing the same folder of emulation utilities down from PC to PC for like a decade now so I wasn't even aware FLIPS was a thing. Not sure what would make them patch the game any differently in the grand scheme of things, but it works fine now so I'm happy.

Thanks a ton for the advice, and once again for the hard work you've all put into this!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 04:49:49 am »
Hi. I just patched this for my girlfriend, but I noticed that when I tested it, the title screen has an alpha blended logo that cycles through pastel rainbow colors.
I don't see the palette cycled pink logo from the first post.

Is that normal?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 06:23:05 am »
Apologies for the newbie-ish question but I've tried patching it a few times and genuinely can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure this is a symptom of patching a headered ROM instead of the required headerless ROM. Try removing the header from the original ROM using TUSH or hunting down another ROM. Some hash calculators have extra code for ignoring the header, so the hashes would still show up fine, even when the size is off. Please make sure your original ROM is 3,145,728 bytes and NOT 3,146,240 bytes.

Hi. I just patched this for my girlfriend, but I noticed that when I tested it, the title screen has an alpha blended logo that cycles through pastel rainbow colors.
I don't see the palette cycled pink logo from the first post.

Is that normal?

Yeah, the game has two title screens, in fact. The pink one, which had the Japanese logo in the original, appears when you skip the intro. If you sit patiently through the intro, you get the rainbow one, which was already in English in the Japanese game, curiously.

Hi there, I'm from seaofserenity.net we also do Sailor Moon translations, a few years ago we also completed translation of Sailor Moon: Another Story based off the Japanese direct, but unfortunately we didn't know anyone with the skills to insert it into a game. So the translation just sat on my computer gathering dust.

It's absolutely fantastic there's going to be a version out for everyone and I applaud all your hard work but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed that our translation kind of now doesn't matter (I'm sure you can appreciate what a mission it was!)

I was wondering if there's any way possible that our translations could be somehow married together so all our work isn't going to waste. I'm happy to provide all our files to you if you wish.

Thanks so much and keep up the hard work.

As vivify already said, it was our understanding you guys were working together with Justin. From what I've seen in his screenshots, his hack is going to have some extra features not present here, notably a menu VWF, allowing for longer items/attacks/descriptions to be used. In any case, it has never been our intention to make your work redundant. With the fandom being as big as it is and with varying opinions on translations flying around, having another alternative available seems like a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:28:19 am by mziab »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 07:40:08 am »
I do still have the project on my computer actually. It was prior before I was using asar to compile .asm patches, which is essentially why I stopped because I burnt out incredibly fast. I could probably port everything I have now into .asm patches, fix things up and at least get the ground work ready for a translation insertion.

I just struggle to keep my motivation with a lot of projects anymore, but this one was still on my bucket list of things to do on the SNES. I might see if I can start porting everything now so I have the ground work done.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2019, 07:51:26 am »
So what is FanDoSheckle now? And how's the final boss called?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 08:49:00 am »
FanDoSchkle, from what seaofserenity has sent me is 'Fin de Si├Ęcle' which means 'End of the Century' in French.
Same as above, Apsu is still Apsu but the final boss name is 'God of Destruction Apsu'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 09:48:09 am »
I do still have the project on my computer actually. It was prior before I was using asar to compile .asm patches, which is essentially why I stopped because I burnt out incredibly fast. I could probably port everything I have now into .asm patches, fix things up and at least get the ground work ready for a translation insertion.

I just struggle to keep my motivation with a lot of projects anymore, but this one was still on my bucket list of things to do on the SNES. I might see if I can start porting everything now so I have the ground work done.

Oh, I totally get that. I've also got some projects that have been in limbo for years due to real life and stuff. It was only because vivify contacted me about SMAS that I got around to finishing this project.

On a related note, I've tried my hand at implementing an 8x8 menu VWF for SMAS once (way back in 2007/2008, I think), but due to how the game refreshes the item lists in a busy-loop (in battles AFAIR) and processes all of them in advance, things got pretty crashy with a full inventory. That, combined with that I couldn't find a font that was both readable with this color scheme and thin at the same time, made me scrap the idea. I've since had some ideas for this, but no time to implement them in practice.

So what is FanDoSheckle now? And how's the final boss called?

Our patch has them as "FinDe Siecle" and "God of Ruin" due to space limits. The former is pretty much one of the first things that got fixed. It was pretty infamous, after all. That enemy move gets used A LOT. As a teen, I used to wonder what that business with "FanDoSheckle" was about, but chalked it up to Japanese quirkiness, which didn't need to make a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 10:38:16 am by mziab »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 11:33:40 am »
On a related note, I've tried my hand at implementing an 8x8 menu VWF for SMAS once (way back in 2007/2008, I think), but due to how the game refreshes the item lists in a busy-loop (in battles AFAIR) and processes all of them in advance, things got pretty crashy with a full inventory. That, combined with that I couldn't find a font that was both readable with this color scheme and thin at the same time, made me scrap the idea. I've since had some ideas for this, but no time to implement them in practice.

I haven't worked on battle much probably due to this very reason. The main menu itself is actually kind of screwy as it's CONSTANTLY storing BG updates to VRAM at all times instead of just doing so when something actually changes. The menu itself isn't really lag inducing but altering this might help a few things at least.

I'm generally using just pre-rendered text for any attack names and item names since that's the easiest way to handle all of this (At least in the inventory menu it worked incredibly well!). Battle is a whole different beast and I'm honestly afraid to even touch that.

seaofserenity

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 12:03:42 am »
> Your team has a desire to maintain consistency by continuing to use your self-researched terms (Which I really appreciate and respect!), as opposed to how I wanted to use VIZ/Kodansha's official terms. As a naturally nervous person, I didn't want to risk causing any bad blood.

It wouldn't have to be under our name or anything and you can keep all the names if you wish. I'm talking more of the grunt work of the translation which is ground up directly from the Japanese. It would require rework anyway because I translated it without much regard for text-sizes and so forth. I was thinking more you could compare and if there's anything majorly different to think it over.

You haven't stepped on any toes, or done anything wrong in any way. I will definitely be playing your version soon. Believe me I know how much of a mission this project was and you should be applauded greatly.

It's just that I was asked to do the project by justin3009, and worked hard on it for a very long time. However, sometime after finishing the translation he simply stopped messaging us, understandably from what I've read in this thread, he burned out on the project. So I thought of lost heart in the whole thing after that. It's just a bit of a shame that no part of it in any form will probably see the light of day as much as we can talk about "multiple translations being great", it is highly unlikely any programmer will be invested in making it happen when there are so many other games out there in need.

I really hope you don't think it's some kind of ego-trip on my behalf, all the translations we've done are because I really love Sailor Moon.  I've done a lot of translation and I'm still pretty sure about six people have actually seen any of our projects. I just don't want all that work to have gone to waste because it really was a huge time investment on my part.

But if there is no interest whatsoever. I'd love any advice or tools that may help, though I don't think anything will likely happen, I simply just don't have the programming understanding to even begin. But it would help me feel better to pretend there's some hope in the future that I didn't waste over a year of my life lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:51:24 am by seaofserenity »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2019, 11:35:15 am »
I was actually about to message you, Sea!

I converted all of my VWF code into a compiled .asm patch now. Updated the font, updated the VWF table, corrected the intro bug I was having and fixed up the Line Break and New Page code I did so from what I'm testing, dialogue seems to work 100% now.

I'm working on reformatting the text a bit but this is honestly a pain in the butt. That's not on your head though since this game was a little odd with it's spacing regardless. There definitely needs to be someone that can modify this dialogue though because it's absolutely literal and hard to understand without some creative sentence construction.

The main part of the game, obviously, is the dialogue so as long as this is functioning then that's very good news for updating the script and re-inserting. Which that part is already easy to do.

Redoing the menu is where I got caught up on but I was doing everything by hand. I'll leave the menu for now and focus on dialogue since that will at least make the game very playable.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:58:23 am by justin3009 »

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:40 am »
That looks absolutely gorgeous, Justin! I look forward to seeing this project completed!
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2019, 03:43:50 pm »
Thanks a lot to vivify93 and all the crew involved on this excellent patch :beer:

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2019, 08:07:41 pm »
Thank you everyone for the kind words!

I've noticed some people are having to navigate patching for the very first time due to v2.00; since mziab and I will keep support for v2.00 as future revisions release as necessary, I've made a guide.

How to Patch Sailor Moon: Another Story in English

1. Get a Japanese ROM of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story.

The unofficial SMAS localization team cannot help you find this. Your best bet is to use your search engine of choice. No parties involved in this fan project accept liability for damage incurred to the end-user, their OS, their hardware, etc. while downloading from ROM-hosting sites. However, please note that your browser should be able to catch any issues prior to downloading; adding to that, always ensure you scan a file with your antivirus program before you un-ZIP it.

Please hold onto your Japanese original ROM, as you'll need it to apply any future revisions.

2. Use ROMhacking.net's online ROM patcher. https://www.romhacking.net/patch/

This can be used on any OS. Where it says "ROM file:", click the "Choose File" button. Navigate to your Sailor Moon: Another Story Japanese ROM. The patcher will detect if there is a header or not. Headers were once necessary for copiers, or devices that would let you play ROMs on a real SNES before modern conveniences were made available. We want there to be no header to patch Another Story.

If the patcher displays this:

Great, move on. You don't need to do anything else.

However, if this is shown instead:

Tick the box next to "Remove header before patching:". If there is a header on your ROM prior to patching it, the game won't load.

At the "Patch file:" section, click the "Choose File" button down here and navigate to the translation patch. The revision number will change as newer builds come out, but it will always say "PSSMAS_T-Eng" in its name.

Finally, click the colored "Apply patch" button in the lower right, and your patched ROM will download.

2a. Possibly repeat the process for the Grind-Be-Gone improvement, if you wish to use it. Using the directions above, substitute the Japanese original ROM for the English-patched one, as well as the translation patch for "PSSMAS_Grind-Be-Gone_v100.IPS".

3. Load the file into your emulator of choice.

Emulation is easy once you get the hang of it, but I won't be covering that in this guide. Please refer to FantasyAnime's "Emulation for Newbies" tutorials for more information.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:34:38 am by vivify93 »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:26 pm »
Thanks for this. Though while I'm glad the translation retains the "Pretty Soldier" instead of "Pretty Guardian" like Viz and the officials have it, the first two should've been removed and just be "Sailor Moon Another Story", but that's just me. Otherwise, thanks for fixing some of the errors (I couldn't finish because the errors were bugging me).

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 02:05:06 pm »
Thanks for this. Though while I'm glad the translation retains the "Pretty Soldier" instead of "Pretty Guardian" like Viz and the officials have it, the first two should've been removed and just be "Sailor Moon Another Story", but that's just me. Otherwise, thanks for fixing some of the errors (I couldn't finish because the errors were bugging me).

That's right! I forgot that Viz is using "Pretty Guardian" now.
Now if only we could rip the English voice clips, downsample them and insert them into the game!

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story English translation v2.01
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 02:33:30 pm »
v2.01 hotfix out now. Thanks very much to @AmiSapphire on Twitter for catching these.

- Fixed typo in conversation between Sailor Mars, Yaga Elder, and Phaleg
- Fixed issues related to the lengths of Ruin RaiderA and Ruin RaiderB's names
- Fixed issue where boss Eudial's "Fire Buster" tech was called "Dark Surge", and the "Need more EP" message was called "Fire Buster"

Please download and apply the new patch! Thank you.

Edit - v2.01 is now available on RHDN.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:52:07 pm by vivify93 »

Awakened

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 03:31:57 am »
Noticed a missing "the" before "peak" when I took this screenshot:

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 10:27:58 am »
Thank you for the report. This has been fixed for v2.02!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:19:35 pm by vivify93 »

Awakened

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 07:46:33 pm »
Thanks!  :)