News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to get Vagrant Story's speech bubble font?  (Read 500 times)

trial10

• View Profile
How to get Vagrant Story's speech bubble font?
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:23:38 pm »
I've been trying to look inside the .bin game file, but can't find where the font is. Can anyone help? It's not in any .tim, .dis, .prg. Tried using some tools to look for image files, but nothing comes up.

Can anyone help?

Valendian

• View Profile
Re: How to get Vagrant Story's speech bubble font?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 02:55:54 am »
BATTLE.PRG has an embedded font. It most likely is the one you want. I dont have the notes to hand right now but I will have a look and get you the offsets.

Edit:
Notes say this
Code: [Select]
233eC graphics (?) $800 bytes, 32*32, font

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:44:34 am by Valendian »

trial10

• View Profile
Re: How to get Vagrant Story's speech bubble font?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:40:18 pm »
Thank you so much Valendian. I've been scrounging the internet and managed to piece together on how to use your vstools. Now am able to edit the speech bubbles for the cutscenes in Vagrant Story:

For the .prg files, I tried to search online on how to extract or decode them. The only thing I found out is that they're commodore files or something? Nothing in https://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil.html seems to show how to open them though.

I found in datacrystal your notes concerning the font thing (https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Vagrant_Story:Main_exe). How would one extract it from .prg files?

Again, thank you so much for your tools! I hope one day I can extract the illustrations.bin files too, as  I've managed to view some of them that aren't .bin files

Valendian

• View Profile
Re: How to get Vagrant Story\'s speech bubble font?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:28:46 pm »
Its great to see someone using these tools. You are gonna love making cutscenes. The only real limitation is that you have to use the animations that are already available in the game.

PRG (Program) files are executable programs. They mostly contain software but also contain data. These files can be converted to a human readable form using a MIPS disassembler. You wont get much benefit from reading that unless you have knowledge of programming and a lot of patience. The original developer has complete freedom in how data and software are arranged. Generally the disassembler makes no attempt to separate data from the software, so a human must decide which is which.

I'm looking at the font in video memory right now. I'm trying to trace it back to where it came from on the disc. I can lift out the font for you.

June 07, 2019, 04:56:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The font is stored in BATTLE\SYSTEM.DAT at offset 0x1E0F0. The image is 4bit 256x96 pixels and is 0x3000 (12288) bytes in size. Each character is 12x12 pixels and they are arranged in a 21x8 grid.

There are many fonts in this file. This font appears to be a portion of a larger image containing other fonts. There is another 12x12 font immediately before this dialog font and it is also 12x12. And there is a tiny 8x8 font running vertically along one edge of the entire image, which makes use of the fact that 21 characters leaves 4 bytes (8 pixels).

The entire image is blitted to video memory in a single copy operation. The full image begins at offset 0x1ABF0 but it does not appear to have a file header. I have no idea how tall it is, only that it is at least 256x192 and not larger than 256x256. I have not found the CLUT (Color Look Up Table), so the font does not have correct colors. There appear to be many CLUT's each containing 16 colours (4-bit) but I have not found the right one.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:56:17 pm by Valendian »