News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: super robot wars 3  (Read 667 times)

travel27

• View Profile
super robot wars 3
« on: May 23, 2019, 12:18:26 am »
I played this maybe 10 months ago and I do not think I posted about it then.

Any way, about Super Robot wars 3.  I admit that I really hated this game. I beat it but I strongly disliked it, that but I was thinking recently, maybe I gave the game an unfair shake. I say this because I went into the game blind and basically had no clue what I was doing (it was my first Super robot wars game ever, I played the other snes aeon genesis translation directly after and that is it). Any way I think I disliked it because I think I leveled up "useless" units or spent too much money or units that are of no help/later turned out useless or, if I recall, some that left. Now I do not think an srpg should ever have units that are just too under powered, but SRW3 does IMO so here we are.

Any way, I want to restart the game again. I beat the first mission with one death and then stopped, because I want to see what people who are more experts have to say before going on:

What units do you recommend building up and spending on along the way? Which ones should I ignore? Are there units further along that will be of use? I want to have a more focused, less blind run through the game.

Thanks!

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Re: super robot wars 3
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:52:44 am »
It's tough to say because while wasting money on upgrading bad units is of course not a very good idea, you'll still have to in order to progress the game before getting the better and final ones. While the idea of saving your money for the best units might sound good at first, consider the fact that until then, you'll have to complete missions using the ones you actually have now until you get the better ones. My recommendation would be to try and save as much as you can, but if a mission is unbeatable, restart the current scenario and further upgrade the units you have now in order to progress further.

The skill "Luck" doubles the money you get when an enemy unit is defeated. Therefore, use this before beating tough units that give a lot of money such as bosses. I believe that strange double mech creature in the "Bermuda Triangle" level gave a lot of cash, so use this skill before defeating them both. But to answer your question, the best units would probably be the following: Raideen, Daitarn 3, V Gundam, Mazinkaiser, Great Mazinger, Shin Getter Robo, Grendizer, Granzon, Neue Ziel and Sazabi. There's of course others as well, but I haven't played this game in a long time and can't remember them all off the top of my head.

This FAQ/Walkthrough from gamefaqs might help you if you ever need any more helpul tips:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/581822-dai-3-ji-super-robot-taisen/faqs/15800

If you just want to play this game for fun though without having to worry about money, then use this PAR cheat code for infinite cash:
Code: [Select]
7E100942
7E100A0F

Edit: You might also want to take a look at this secrets section as well in case you missed something during your first playthrough:
http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/3/Secrets_List
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:01:36 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:32:38 am »
Any way, I want to restart the game again. I beat the first mission with one death and then stopped, because I want to see what people who are more experts have to say before going on:

Speaking as an expert in some respects, I would highly encourage you to stop and wait for the updated translation patch, which is currently being betatested. It won't improve the gameplay at all, but it'll give the presentation a gigantic kick in the rear.

Chapter titles before & after:

Old old old post with some very WIP screens:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=13779.msg367499#msg367499

Writing this has made me realize that I haven't actually shown off any of the screenshots of the updated patch. I'll put together a newspost for the AGTP frontpage tomorrow.

From a tips perspective, yeah, there are some units that are cannon fodder. The game does expect you to have some familiarity with the source material, unfortunately, to know what's what. It's also early enough from a mechanical perspective that upgrades to an earlier unit won't necessarily carry over to a replacement unit. Generally speaking, main characters are all worth upgrading. This tends to be easier to see with super robots because the shows are so focused on the heroes and the monster-of-the-week format that there aren't nearly as many supporting characters (read: the conflicts are much more localized to a few key players rather than being a full-blown war.)

In general this means Getter Robo/G (*NOT* Proto Getter), Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Daitarn 3, Combattler V, Raideen, Cybuster. From a real robot perspective, Gundam/Nu Gundam, Z Gundam, ZZ Gundam, F-91, GP-01/03, Hyaku Shiki. Don't bother with GMs, Texas Mack, Boss Borot, Gundam MkII, Super Gundam, Nemos, Jegans, Zaku (if you get Bernie), Re-GZ, Guncannon, Rick Dias, etc. Some bots like Aphrodite A/Diana A/Venus A and Methuss have repair units and can be useful as support, and there are a few of middle-of-the-road units like NT-1 Alex. But it's generally a case of "the heroes are the strong ones" and the rest can be benched. There may be enough wiggleroom in the roster for you to use one or two of the worse units if you really want (I'm partial to Boss Borot and Texas Mack cuz they're funny.) In later games in the series even the most basic of cannon fodder units can be made workable but as of 3 the series was still trying to find its mechanical footing.

Notable upgrades (unit "leaves" and is replaced by a better one):
P-Getter 1/2/3 -> Getter Robo 1/2/3 -> Getter Robo G (Dragon/Liger/Poseidon)
Mazinger Z -> Mazinger Z w/ Jet Scrander
GP-01 -> GP-03
White Base -> Argama -> Nahel Argama -> Ra Cailum
Gundam -> Nu Gundam

Unsure if upgrades carry over on any of these.

Raideen and Combattler will periodically get new attacks but that shouldn't actually change them.

Last thing I can think of is that some units (especially enemies) have I-Field barriers; these will essentially nullify damage from beam attacks. *IN THEORY* F-91's VSBR ("Variable-Speed Beam Rifle") should penetrate I-Fields but by and large you won't want to use any beam attacks against any enemies with I-Fields. (Funnels are beam attacks, btw.) Future SRWs realize that you need to know what weapons have what properties and are good about tagging things with (B) icons for beams and (P) icons for attacks that can be used post-movement.

For the record we've now produced translations for the entire original SRW plot canon, with the exception of Super Root Wars 4 (which is currently in progress.) SRW2 may be more approachable as the robots level up directly from experience gained in fights. SRW EX may also be more approachable; it takes place immediately after 3, and its setup may also make it a little easier to swallow: it's three smaller concurrent stories with smaller rosters. There are a few more series included, but as a consequence there are more heroes and fewer trash units.

Edit: Oh, and as a final point, yes, Granzon is a beast, but be advised that if you complete the game in under a particular turn threshold, I want to say 319 turns or less but I might have the number wrong, you unlock a secret final scenario that directly sets up a number of SRW EX's core events, including Shu's entire storyline. However you *do* lose Granzon for this final mission, so don't rely on him too heavily.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:50:15 am by Gideon Zhi »

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:21:56 am »
...The skill "Luck" doubles the money you get when an enemy unit is defeated. Therefore, use this before beating tough units that give a lot of money such as bosses...

In SRW3/SRW4 the spell Luck doubles your Money and XP! This skill was borderline overpowered, which probably explains why it got nerfed in later games. In Original Generation 1-2 (Game Boy Advance) the original Luck is now separated into 2 spells: Luck (doubles money) and Cheer (doubles xp),

This is especially useful in SRW 4: at creation time you can customize the main character Spells depending on his Birthday and his Bloodtype.  So giving your main character "Luck" as a Seishin (=Spell) in a no-brainer. It will make your playthrough of SRW4 a much less painfull experience ^^,

The basic guideline for upgrading units:

Real Robots: putting your first points into Response. This skill increases your evade. I noticed that upgrading this Stat at least 3 times makes a big difference for the Gundam units early game.

Reals cannot take hits so your top priority is to upgrade their Response so they can evade attacks. Then when you get better units you can afford to put a few points into HP and Armor just as a safety net and nothing more. 

Super Robots: upgrade HP and Armor evenly to make you Super Robots more durable. Don’t put all your points into one Stat only, because it is cost ineffective. Then upgrade their Energy for their Final Attack, 

Any characters reaching 130 Response can act "twice per turn". Characters can reach that point depending on their Level: around levels 30s/40s/50s or more. The first to have a 130 Response are Amuro and Camille (they move twice at LV 36).

Morale (Kiryoku) is essential in the SRW games: to unlock their Final Attack, characters need to reach a certain threshold. Generally you need around "130 Morale" to unlock the Final Attack of your Super Robots. The main way to increase your morale in SRW is to kill units! This is why Beginners often wonder why they can't use their Final Attack: it will stay Red until you gather the required Morale!

In SRW3 my favorite units are:

Getter Robot 1: can transform into Getter 2/3. Getter 1 will be your workhorse. Not only it can fly (unlike Getter 2/3) but it also stands as a legendary Boss Killer thanks to its famed "Red Finger of Doom" ^^ (the Getta Beam). Having 3 pilots also means you have plenty of Spells to dab into,

Daitarn 3: First because it is transformable. The Daifighter is a flying unit that has incredible range. If Banjou Haran - the pilot- had the spell "Accelerate" it would have been even more nuts (sadly he doesn’t). The Daitank, as the name implies, is a great unit to tank. It can take some hits when swarmed. Finally there’s Daitarn 3 with his godly Sun Attack. Daitarn is a very flexible unit. A pity Banjou Haran learns his spells slower than others, but the trade-off is totally worth it: Banjou’s unit hits insanely hard. The "Sun Attack" can be your Boss Killer if needed,   

The Argamma: you might ditch Bright because he runs a Battleship but the Argamma has a MAP weapon. I cannot stress enough on this point: MAP Weapons dominate the battlefield in SRW3 and SRW 4. If you plan your strike carefully -by weakening the enemies in front of the Argamma with your allies- you can easily wipe 8+ monsters in one fell swoop.

Finally a general problem with characters having MAP weapons: if you’re not careful enough they can become XP-guzzlers and leave your other units underleveled,

A note for beginners : you can dock your units into the Battleship sot they will regen all their ammo in one turn, though the HP/Energy regen will take more time.

Cyblaster: is a beast in this game. It has crazy dodge and if you upgrade its Response it could possibly hold off swarms of enemy units for a whole turn. The attack "High Familiar" has great range and will save your hide many times. Then it can transforms into a flying unit to get even more mobility and dodge. Icing on the cake: Cybaster has a MAP weapon (Cyflash)! Like I said insane unit,

Gundam Z: awesome unit. Transformable too, in flight mode it can cover a lot of ground and Camille has the spell "Accelerate" to move even further! The attack "Highmega Launcher" is invaluable. Upgrade this unit Energy (and Response) ASAP then go to town with your ""Highmega Launcher" as long as you can,

Amuro: any units he gets is totally worth it, except the first one. From the moment you upgrade his unit's Response he becomes like Camille: Untouchable!

note: the Turn Count needed to unlock the special final scenario is 419 (or lower) for the Super Famicom. For the PlayStation version it is 350 (or lower).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:00:40 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:33:45 pm »
It's been ages since I played this game, but I really remember liking Cybaster/Cyblaster/Psyblaster as well.  Also Nu Gundam was pretty sweet, and whatever Char's mech (Type-100?) was had that nice beam gun.  I think I used to keep it close to base pull out, blast a beam or two, then dock up for a turn to recharge and repeat.  But again it's been years.

Though I have faint recollections of reading a FAQ for the game and the author ripped a shitton on Amuro calling him like the worst of all the available Gundam pilots late game because his speed advantage wears off when enemies get more accurate and he's super weak.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:57:10 pm »
Also Nu Gundam was pretty sweet, and whatever Char's mech (Type-100?) was had that nice beam gun.  I think I used to keep it close to base pull out, blast a beam or two, then dock up for a turn to recharge and repeat.  But again it's been years.

"Type-100" is one of the things getting fixed in the retranslation - it's technically correct, but the name itself has been transliterated as Hyaku Shiki in common parlance.

Also I can believe Amuro falling off late-game, but the nice thing about the Gundam characters is that they're pretty interchangeable; I *think* you can probably put a different pilot in the Nu if he stinks that badly.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:25:25 am »
I forgot to mention some notable tips ^^:

Morale part II

In SRW3/SRW4 each enemy killed nets you "+5 Morale", this is the most basic way to increase the value,

Another way is to use the Spell "Yell" for the characters who have it, it raises morale by "+15",

Each time your Morale increases, your Damage and your Armor increases too! This matters when a unit is swarmed without support in certain cases,

The max morale you can get is 200. When you’ll reach that point you’ll do spectacular damage.

MAP Weapons part II

They are of two kind:

A few of them can differentiate between allies and enemies. The most notable is the Cyflash used by Cybaster. This is why Cyflash is so good, it's the best way to kill a swarm of enemies without too much of a hassle. Sadly in SRW3/SRW4 Masaki doesn't have the spell Luck,

But most Map Weapons can’t make a distinction between friend of foe. If you try it with Bright and his Argamma’s Battleship for instance, your attempt will often end up in a bloodbath (for your allies). Here’s a neat trick:

Like I said in my previous post, you set up an ambush by putting the Argamma in the frontline to bait enemies. Then when all the apes are in line you gather your posse of allies to weaken the enemies without staying in the Argamma’s line of sight.

Sometimes you'll have low mobility allies who won't make in time to avoid Bright's MAP weapon, still you can possibly save them by having those stray characters cast the Spell ""Flash" (avoids one attack), if the character has the spell of course. ^^

Most of the time the money and the XP obtained from those killing streak is too good to pass up, like a few Musai in front of the Argamma, these Ships are worth a ton of money, so don’t forget to cast "Luck" before shooting (Bright will get the spell "Luck" eventually).

…Though I have faint recollections of reading a FAQ for the game and the author ripped a shitton on Amuro calling him like the worst of all the available Gundam pilots late game because his speed advantage wears off when enemies get more accurate and he's super weak.

The beef some gamers have with Amuro is this:

His Stats are so good (except his Attack, comparatively to other Gundam characters, like Camille for instance) that he will outgrow all the Mecha he receives: his Response will raise regularly during the course of the game meaning that later Amuro won’t find a unit matching his great Stats. This might explain why Amuro gets so many new units during the game, in my view this is partially to counter his crazy Stat growth.

But if this is the price to pay to get a character who is nearly untouchable and acts twice earlier than most, I say the cost is fair. ^^
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:13:38 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 10:27:37 am »
That's a good point about Amuro, CrocMagnum.  Early/mid game Amuro is like the best one, IIRC.  And I never really had gripes about him late game either, but I didn't really pay too close attention to stats and I didn't really bother to "juggle pilots around", I just put pilots in whatever mech the game hinted at.

Though looking back, Nu is such a beast with those super long range, hard hitting funnels that it seems like the perfect vessel for leveling up other pilots.  You could probably throw Amuro in a lesser Gundam and he'd still be just as good, and give Nu to someone stronger or to someone you want to bring up (IIRC later on, you start getting WAY more gundam pilots than you do gundam mechs).

Argama has that pretty great map weapon, but IIRC Bright can't hit the broad side of a barn which always really frustrated me.

Man all this talk is making me want to pick this game up again.  I got to like the last fight with Wesley or whatever his name was and I gave up because I didn't realize that you could change orders to have people always dodge, so I was getting clobbered (I was on 'counterattack' the entire game).

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:35:54 pm »
Man all this talk is making me want to pick this game up again.

Again, let me reiterate, if you do feel like playing SRW3 again, I highly recommend you wait a little for the new version. It's coming sooner than you think.

EDIT: Here's that newspost I promsed, like, a week and a half ago.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:43:27 pm by Gideon Zhi »