News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nes - Ram codes to rom  (Read 333 times)

gadesx

• View Profile
Nes - Ram codes to rom
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:33:17 am »
I don't know about asm, or trace ram directions to rom.
But I know search cheat codes.

Well, the thing is that I found a code for Burai Fighter (Usa) of NES. The code (if I remember well)
0160:02 (or 0120:02)
Controls the HP of the final boss (usually is 00, other code value go from 00 to FF and the other one change. So the final boss have a lot of hp with the trick, I want to put this like an ips.
To do a rebalance hack maybe.

I tried a tool that make ips from game genie codes, but doesn't work.

There's any tool?
I've made a lot of codes for fun.
Usually have all items for translation purposes.

Thanks

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Nes - Ram codes to rom
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:18:37 pm »
Game Genie to an IPS is simple, but RAM changing to an IPS requires some assembly knowledge. It's not necessarily difficult, but you do need to learn what to do.

There is no simple way to take a RAM value you want to change and say "make it always happen in the ROM". There are different methods to get what you want. In your case, what most likely happens is that $160 in RAM gets filled with the correct value and then that gets messed around with. Somewhere in the ROM is an instruction that says "store this value to that address". You need to change that instruction to store a different value. To find out which instruction it is, you need to use a debugger with breakpoints.

So if you're willing to learn a little bit about assembly, you can figure it out. I can't tell you exactly what's going on in Burai Fighter right now since I'm out of the house, but I'd have to reach the final boss, which I don't really fancy doing. :)

gadesx

• View Profile
Re: Nes - Ram codes to rom
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:59:46 pm »
Thanks for reply.
Usually the bosses can be beaten only in seconds, but the final boss (that looks good the animation)
Its overpowered.
Around 2-3 minutes avoiding like rocks that go directed to the character, also the shoots can move around and return out of the visible area, and surprise back attack lol.
Also it's difficult shoot to the mouth that it's the weaken point.

Finishing the game in Hard (Ace If i remember) you unlock another that at the end says "You've finished the hardest game ever"