News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: F-Zero Climax translation  (Read 1224 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
F-Zero Climax translation
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:20:14 am »
I just wanted to let everyone here know that there's an alternative translation available for F-Zero Climax that doesn't freeze unlike the one currently here at RHDN that does so after the first race. Well, here it is:
https://github.com/Normmatt/F-Zero-Climax-GBA-Translation

I've already submitted a project page for it here. However, knowing how strict the submission guidelines here are, I'm not 100% sure that it will even be approved which is why I wanted to at least inform all of you here where this translation may be obtained. Just click on the green button that says "Clone or download" then select "save as ZIP" to download the ZIP folder. Make sure to also follow the instructions carefully:

Place the Japanese F-Zero Climax rom inside the rom folder named input.gba and run the build.bat script.

And for those of you curious why I don't have complete confidence in my submission being approved, it's for these two following reasons:

1. For new authors, I added Normmatt, the lead project leader in this case and the first person listed in the credits. The problem with this is that the form asks you to fill in the home URL. I placed the linked above which may not be accepted since it's not his actual website. I don't even think he has one to be honest, but I may be wrong.

2. At least one screenshot is required for submission. The link above did not have any at all, neither did any other place where the translation is available. And not to mention the fact that even if I did find one, it might still be rejected on grounds of "hotlinking". Therefore, I placed a link to the second screenshot of the existing F-Zero Climax translation here at RHDN of the control pad scheme (since it has not changed in this new version).

This translation also had Clank Hughes listed in the credits as with the existing translation here. However, Normmatt is now listed as the lead romhacker in this version. If my submission does by some chance get rejected, anyone who wishes to submit this translation here may do so. I'm getting a bit too tired of tackling the RHDN submission form again and am already quite busy as it is already... But hopefully everything will work out and this won't be necessary.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

lastdual

• View Profile
Re: F-Zero Climax translation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:12:53 am »
Thanks! While this fixes the freeze, it doesn't appear to be any more complete than the current (broken) translation, unless I'm missing something (only played a bit, so I could be, but it mainly looks like the same menu translation).

I made an IPS file for those who would prefer easier patching:
https://mega.nz/#!Ig02HCAT!LgGqnbVSNrTGdhFwEZ2NNoZF6sLZ21s4H9MxWB7Cugw

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:14:20 am »
As to screenshots, should be easy enough to just run the translation in an emulator and take a few screenshots.
I know imgur and probably other hosting sites should allow you to create a "direct link" which you could then submit.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:16:32 pm »
I think the bulk of my own submissions has been submitted the work of others, credited, that are otherwise absent from RHDN. When it comes to the screenshots, I upload them to the RHDN scratchpad and the uploaded seems to be fine with that.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:53:00 am »
I won't repeat what the others say, but suffice to say they're right. There's nothing strange or difficult about how the submission process works, you just didn't think to do some work yourself. :)

You take a few screenshots in an emulator and upload them to some image host as mentioned, then upload an IPS to a file host, of which there are about 10,000, or maybe even the Scratchpad. Simple.

I do wonder if we need to spell this out in clear language since this does seem to come up quite a bit.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:24:56 am »
I forgot all about "The Scratchpad" option available here. Sorry, but I'm not used to uploading projects done by other people. It's much easier when I submit my own translations here from Dynamic-Designs which has very nicely organized project pages made by Taskforce. I don't mean to boast or anything, but I do wish that other sites would follow our example in the way we maintain project pages. Everything is neatly displayed and easy to access. All the patches, screenshots and descriptions are all well laid out in the project pages.

Thanks! While this fixes the freeze, it doesn't appear to be any more complete than the current (broken) translation, unless I'm missing something (only played a bit, so I could be, but it mainly looks like the same menu translation).
Yes, unfortunately this translation is incomplete as well. The main focus of it is to fix the freezing glitch that the previous patch here had with the first race. I haven't played all that much of it myself yet, but aside from the previously mentioned bug fix, I've read somewhere on another site that a bit more of the story is in fact translated. At least the game is now made playable.

Edit: Looks like my submission got approved after all. I apologize for my earlier paranoia about it possibly being rejected. Once again though, I'm just not used to submitting other people's work even though doing so is quite common here with RHDN being a vast collective for both various hacks and translations. I suppose I'll consider this a learning opportunity not only on the submission process here, but also on idea of not quickly jumping to such negative conclusions in the future...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:21:10 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 09:27:43 pm »
I've always wanted this game to get a translation! Nice find
free sluffy