News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)  (Read 80088 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)
« Reply #280 on: June 13, 2019, 09:03:17 pm »
Not a fan of those squish tiles, you should definitely go with abbreviations in situations like those, equipment also have little icons associated with them like the shield symbol, you could simple leave "LeatherShield" as "Leather" and the shield icon would make it obvious to the player.
Yes, that was how the official localizations, at least up through FFL3 did it anyways so I don't think it would be out of place.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:54 pm »
Abbreviations create jargon (above and beyond whatever terminology you already have to learn to understand the game). While aesthetically dubious, the "squish tiles" allow retaining full words where otherwise purely technical limitations would necessitate placeholders (abbreviations) that have to be learned and are themselves aesthetically unpleasant.

Wanted to make sure there was a voice in favor in the hopes you won't ditch the "squish tiles."

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2019, 10:03:23 pm »
Abbreviations create jargon (above and beyond whatever terminology you already have to learn to understand the game). While aesthetically dubious, the "squish tiles" allow retaining full words where otherwise purely technical limitations would necessitate placeholders (abbreviations) that have to be learned and are themselves aesthetically unpleasant.

Wanted to make sure there was a voice in favor in the hopes you won't ditch the "squish tiles."

Seconded.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2019, 10:38:06 pm »
So I understand and not confuse whats actually happening with my wishful thinking.

You are going to release the translation again but without the expansion and mapper change?

So it just plays with the original Rom configuration just with a re-translation like how your Final Fantasy II re-translation was done?

YES.

I am going through the original Japanese script, re-translate it myself from scratch using as little words as possible, and then check the DS script for context and make edits. I dare say that the results of this will be more accurate than any previous translation so far (not that accuracy was the main issue of any of the previous translations).
(For instance, combing through the script I’ve already restored a specific reference to the final boss “Cloud of Darkness” that the talking Earth Crystal does, where the DS translation didn’t catch the final boss namedrop and instead had the Earth Crystal say “darkness that threatens this land”)

I think, I won’t start a new thread until it’s finished though. Not sure how long it will take, it’s not something that will be done in a week but it’s also not something that will take months either. Let’s just say my tools that I’ve already developed for FF3, combined with having archived the entire FF3 FC Japanese script AND the entire FF3 DS English script is making this go pretty quickly.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 14, 2019, 07:17:10 am »
Would a version that's more console-compatible also be a version that's more compatible with various other ROM hacks (Maeson, Job Improvement)?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:21 am »
Would a version that's more console-compatible also be a version that's more compatible with various other ROM hacks (Maeson, Job Improvement)?
It would depend on whether or not those patches alter text data. If they alter purely mechanics data, as in if they work with the Japanese version of the game, then they should work with this too. If they alter any text, then it would probably still work but the altered text might not show correctly and/or it might overwrite text data of the translation.