News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical] [NDS] Ouran High School Host Club  (Read 1172 times)

Minako

• View Profile
[Technical] [NDS] Ouran High School Host Club
« on: May 19, 2019, 04:11:42 pm »
There was a project a few years ago dedicated to the translating Ouran High School Host Club DS game that, unfortunately, died. I decided I wanted to revive it, so I found the archive for the old Wikispaces and have been continuing to translate/retranslate the old scripts.

The only issue is the hacking aspect. After diving into hacking tutorials, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not cut out for it. I can get as far as dumping the scripts as .bin files, but no further. Someone did make a tool for extracting and reinserting this game's scripts, but it is now gone.

Would anyone be able to help me out?

PhantomandGhost

• View Profile
    • Project Tumblr
Re: [Technical] [NDS] Ouran High School Host Club
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:59:40 am »
Hiya,

I should probably start by saying, unfortunately no, I am not a hacker. I'm just a fellow anime game translator and enthusiast, who wanted to say 'hang in there'! It can be incredibly disheartening to not get any responses to your posts, especially when you've been working so hard, but I can guarantee that your hard work WILL pay off eventually! Keep it up!  ;D

And, I did actually have something encouraging to offer. I'm sure you're probably already aware of the various threads around from previous translation attempts of this game, although you might not have noticed, the download link in this post still works!

I was able to produce a result with a quick test of the tool;

Unfortunately because it's just a quick test, I can't confirm that the tool is 100% functional, but it's certainly a start! It seems to me that the main reason for the later tools was for the benefit of the original translator, who had arranged their scripts (the ones you've been working off, I believe), in a different format, and didn't want to have to copy and paste everything back in. Hopefully that won't prove to be a big issue for you.

On initial inspection, the font seems to be okay, although you might want to mess around with the widths a little bit to see if you can squeeze some more characters on each line, and spread out the gaps between words a little more. This nifty little NFTR Editor should come in handy!

And lastly, the images appear to be in the standard file type for DS games, which makes life a lot easier! How you'd prefer to go about editing them is up to you. I personally use a mix of Tinke and Crystal Tile 2. (Here's a good tutorial to get you started with editing images in CT2.)

Hope this helps!

supervillain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 07:30:11 pm »
I found a link to the tool on a recent gbatemp thread that had a list of unfinished/orphaned projects; the poster said the download link was broken on gdrive but I downloaded it earlier so it must be back up again- either way here's the link to that post https://gbatemp.net/threads/unfinished-translation-projects-that-could-be-revived.544922/ but if you're having trouble with gdrive i could also upload it to mega or somewhere.

After extracting it there's a readme.txt + the tool itself. the readme is short but it does give you some instructions on what to do with the translation n .bin files. (+ a username* on gbatemp if you wanna ask more questions)

*azerty1

Hope this helped ! (or not if you've already seen that thread..)

PhantomandGhost

• View Profile
    • Project Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:52:37 am »
Ah... The 'broken' part there refers to the tool itself, sorry if that wasn't clear.

The original mediafire download link and my GDrive backup are both for v1-0 of the tool, an older version that contains an error which replaces every character sprite with this one sprite of Tamaki;

(Screenshot courtesy of Minako)

This error was potentially fixed in v1.2 of the tool, which was the latest version released by azerty1, and the download for that was here, but as you can see, that link is dead.

No one has been able to get in contact with the members of the original team to see if they still have a copy of that version of the tool, so hacking help is still wanted for this game!

There is some useful hacking info about the game on the original GBAtemp thread linked, and also on jjjewel's blog where she wrote up her discoveries.