News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Problem about romhacks and translation on GoodNes  (Read 3843 times)

Thundard

• View Profile
Problem about romhacks and translation on GoodNes
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:54:46 am »
Hello,
I created a topic on reddit about the many bad romhack distributed in romsets. In particular, GOODNES. I do not think anyone understands the problem. What do you think?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/bmdk31/problem_about_romhacks_and_translation_on_goodnes/

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem about romhacks and translation on GoodNes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:09 am »
Of course someone understands the problem.  There's already alternatives to GoodNES; I actually thought it had stopped updating a long time ago, or was at least not as popular.  Many pages on rhdn already specify the particular checksum of the ROM needed for the patch.  And various new patching formats already validate the data they're supposed to patch one way or another.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:38:07 am »
I think you need to remember that GoodNES isn't a carefully curated list, it's a tool to identify ROMs that exist in the wild, which was useful 20 years ago when you couldn't tell what each ROM you found online actually was. If it has a bunch of bad hacks in there, it's just because they have been identified and put in the GoodNES database.

I really don't think it's an issue. You can just check this site for updated hacks.

Thundard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 09:51:55 am »
Reassure me ... the GoodSets have the only ones to count the hack and the translations? Or, I missed something ...
I understood where the problem came from.
The person (or people?) in charge of patching the roms for the Goodsets, used IPS patch ONLY for NO-INTRO versions on roms from their GoodSets. Then, without verification apparently, were put in the set. Which explains the many defective roms.It's a crazy job but ... better late than never.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:23:02 am »
I think you need to remember that GoodNES isn't a carefully curated list, it's a tool to identify ROMs that exist in the wild, which was useful 20 years ago when you couldn't tell what each ROM you found online actually was. If it has a bunch of bad hacks in there, it's just because they have been identified and put in the GoodNES database.

I really don't think it's an issue. You can just check this site for updated hacks.

Someone patched Vice' Doki Poki Panic (FDS) patch to Doki Doki Yuuenchi (FC) (that is THE WRONG GAME) and sent it to GoodNES. THAT is how uncurated it is. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:48:16 am »

lol in the wild. Psyklax is right this time.  :angel:

As soon as you spot the words GoodNES, just X out the tab and find a site with a good romset. And don't think the older sites are the ones that use GoodNES, because that's just not true.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:06:36 am »
Is it just GoodNES that has these issues?  I haven't had problems with the GoodGen and GoodSNES lists, but then again I'm kindof an amateur to this sort of thing.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:32:12 am »

Like Psyklax says, it really has to do with the concept of the set. That's why there's normally one marked with [!] (the verified good ROM), and a bunch labeled [b1][b2]etc.. (bad dumps), along with some others. Personally I'd like for pre-patched ROMs to not be distributed at all. We don't distribute them here for a reason.

Like Jorpho says, the patches hosted here list hash values you can use to match your ROM dump to the one that is compatible with the patch file so you can always make sure you have a compatible ROM image. If there are any patches that exist that aren't archived here, you can submit them as long as they don't violate site policies. http://www.romhacking.net/policy/#General_Submission_Form_Rules

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:57 am »
Is it just GoodNES that has these issues?
No. I've tried out TurboGrafx16 games, Mega Drive games that are b, c, or m instead of the usual [!]. Not many at all, but they exist in these romsets. (Edit: can't type b with [ ] around it)
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 02:17:03 pm »
this time

::)

I disagree that GoodNES is useless: for me, the GoodTools sets, for all their faults, are the most comprehensive list of ROMs out there. The only comparison is TOSEC for computers. Again, remember the purpose of GoodTools in the first place. It's certainly not so hard to filter out all the bad ROMs.

I also agree with Filler that I'd prefer if pre-patched ROMs stayed off the net entirely. We use patches for a very good reason. Not to mention that if a bad version of your translation gets out there stuck on a ROM, you have no control over it.