News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy Mapper Hack  (Read 3708 times)

ZdrDizzy12

• View Profile
The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy Mapper Hack
« on: May 06, 2019, 04:25:06 pm »
Hello, this is my first Rom Hack submitted here.

its very simple, all it does is hack The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy NES Rom file to use UNROM instead of the Clone that it uses originally.

(Note: This patch should only work on the version of the ROM with the Blue Dizzy Logo, not the Red logo version.)

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9hhk7kw5i47fxeu/DIZZY.ips/file

Recommended ROM file name: FantasticAdventuresOfDizzy(U)(NES).nes (at least for me)

Hope to make a version of the patch for the Aladdin (Red) Version soon!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy Mapper Hack
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:43:20 pm »
I get a feeling there was a reason the "clone" mapper definition was created, but maybe this game doesn't need whatever the difference is in capability?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 05:53:01 pm »
I think the difference is the bus conflicts.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Jackson96

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 01:21:31 am »
Ummm...Not too sure about bus conflicts...Can u pls explain how mybkexperience
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:11:08 am by Jackson96 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:01 am »
With how UxROM is ideally working is that you write, say 5 to any address between $C000 and $FFFF to swap in bank 5.

Well, with an actual cartridge board affected by "bus conflicts" that's not how it will actually work, I'm not sure what exactly it does but the matter is that if you write 5 to a ROM address which itself doesn't contain the value 5, the actual number written will be somehow corrupted.
Which is why bankswitch functions on games meant for affected PCBs will usually do something like store (in ROM) increasing values (0 to 7, or whatever is needed) at $c000, and then write the desired value to X and then to $C000,X to be sure the value written to the mapper will match the value at the corresponding ROM address.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 04:18:10 am »
I can confirm that I saw this in Sherlock Holmes - Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken, but wasn't entirely sure why it did that, since I knew that any write to the ROM would change the bank. I guess it's one of those things where an emulator might have no issue but real hardware has a bit of a problem. Worth bearing in mind, I suppose.

Strangely, Toki No Tabibito - Time Stranger has the same mapper but for some reason keeps the 8 numbers at $C41D instead of $C000. Produces the same effect, though.

SylarDean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:09:54 am »
Just throwing this out there... maybe it's something to do with the fact that to play the REAL ROM on a NES you had to attach it to another game to make it function? cos I know this game cart had weird functionality, it looked VERY similar to the NES's Game Genie cart thing.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:04:33 am »
You're thinking of the aladdin deck enhancer, but the game was also released as a standalone 72 pin cartridge version.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42:10 am »
Strangely, Toki No Tabibito - Time Stranger has the same mapper but for some reason keeps the 8 numbers at $C41D instead of $C000. Produces the same effect, though.
Doesn't have to be at $C000, just that the ROM address written to has the same value.

maybe it's something to do with the fact that to play the REAL ROM on a NES you had to attach it to another game to make it function?
I didn't know Codemasters used that type of cartridge, but it sounds like one that requires an official game in order to use its lockout chip to boot the console.
Noah's Ark 3D, the one unlicensed period SNES game, did that as well to bypass the lockout. I suspect that technique is but one reason Nintendo went with the multiple CICs system they did on N64.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:34:28 am »
You're thinking of the aladdin deck enhancer

He's not, actually: it was released in Europe as a "PlugThru" cartridge similar to the Game Genie (which they also made, by the way).

(pic from eBay, but a quick web search will find other pics in case this one disappears)

So yes, it uses the chip from an official game in order to boot, while the rest is the same. They did release it in other formats though.