News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Need some help to get sprites using YY-CHR  (Read 903 times)

popoblito

• View Profile
Need some help to get sprites using YY-CHR
« on: May 02, 2019, 01:00:08 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I don't know much about hacking and ROMs in general.

I recently stumbled upon a game called Uzumaki Noroi Simulation made in 2000 for the WonderSwan handheld console, and since its sprite are pretty neat, I wanted to get some of them without having to go through the game and screenshot everything (also since it's 100% Japanese, which I don't know at all, and there are no walkthroughs anywhere, literally).

I found out this software, YY-CHR, and tried to view them, but even if I change the format, I can just see a very small amount of sprites (mainly text and icons, using the 2BPP GB format: I've tried all of the standard ones and that's the one which worked "best", so to speak).

Can anyone help me through this issue? I don't know if I don't have the right format to view the data or there are some other issues.

Thanks in advance, I'm desperately trying to find a solution.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Need some help to get sprites using YY-CHR
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:07:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum! :)

To be honest, if you just want to rip some of the sprites, you're better off just screenshotting everything as you suggested. Looking at the graphics in YY-CHR or Tile Molester is problematic for several reasons: the sprites are all jumbled up; the palette is unknown; graphics are often compressed and thus impossible to see. Obviously WonderSwan doesn't have to worry about palettes, but the other factors can still be true. If you can, the best option is to turn off background layers and take screenshots. Not all emulators allow you to turn off layers, but fortunately BizHawk allows you to do that in the WonderSwan core.

Having said that, I just took a look at the game you mentioned and I can't see many sprites... I see a lot of pictures, but no sprites. Maybe I need to play it a bit longer? :)

Anyway, just play the game in BizHawk, turn off layers, screenshot what you need, and edit it all in GIMP or something else. I know it's a pain, but it'll give you the best result, I think.