News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tracing PSX SRW/G-Generation rom/iso addresses. HELP!  (Read 637 times)

baby_cart

• View Profile
Tracing PSX SRW/G-Generation rom/iso addresses. HELP!
« on: May 01, 2019, 11:26:04 am »
Hi, newbie here. I have been trixing around SNES and GBA roms and making personal hacks of my favorite games (as you have guessed it, gundam/mecha-related). But when I switched to PSX, it's a whole new ballgame, no way for me to understand nop, jmp and other symbols (I ain't from a computer related major).

Questions:

1. How does one trace where the address desired data is stored in games like SD Gundam Generation F and FIF, also SRW F/F Final and Alpha series? What are the necessary tools for it? (I use no$psx to debug, is that enough?)

Ex: In SD Gundam G-Generation F I want a certain unit, say Gundam Airmaster, change the statistics of its weapons (attack power, EN consumed and changing from BEAM1 to BEAM2), how do I go about it? Do I just select its status screen or I need to attack using it? From then, how do I trace and what do I use?

2. How do I change the data? Obviously I have to tweak the rom/iso, but what do I use? Are there any tips on how to trial and error test safely with the rom/iso? And how do I get the values that I will use to replace the old ones?

3.Let's say, I want to delete Ra Cailum's MAP weapon in SRW (obviously Ra Cailum's canonical MAP weapon isn't a mega particle cannon but rather nuke missiles), what do I input? Hex FFFF? How do I make sure that my tries won't ruin the rom/iso?