News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ys V - PS2 opening  (Read 1776 times)

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Ys V - PS2 opening
« on: May 01, 2019, 04:06:10 am »
I've always been curious what the dialogue between Adol and Dogi is in the PS2 version of Ys V as this was not present in the SNES version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3shiIRVPC0

The actual dialogue takes place between time frame 4:30 to 5:40. If anyone could please tell what they're saying, that would be nice. Thanks in advance for the help!
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: Ys V - PS2 opening
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 05:07:49 am »
Here's a bare-bones translation. I haven't played the game, so some context might be off, notably the line I marked with the question mark. Hope this helps!

This is North Afroca, huh?

Well then, Adol. What will you do now?

Like we discussed on the ship, are you going to search for that kingdom which is said to have disappeared in ancient times?

I see.
Just after the long voyage by ship, too... You sure love adventures, huh?

Actually, Adol... There's someone who took care of me a long time ago here in North Afroca.
I want to go thank them, so I'm thinking of going into town right away.

We'll be doing our own thing for a while.
Or will you be anxious without me around? Hahaha!

Well then, Adol...
Since it's you we're talking about, you probably want to walk around these parts?

But we have a lot of work ahead of us(?).
I think you'd be better off taking it easy around here.

Okay, I'll be going on ahead. See ya later, Adol!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:17:12 am by mziab »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 05:24:43 am »
Thank you very much for the translation! I always wondered why Dogi was left out of the SNES version of Ys V since he clearly came on board with Adol at the end of Ys IV as he always does. Maybe it was something they forgot to do and then decided to add him in the PS2 version. Or perhaps they chose to leave him out because Adol always fights alone in the Ys series up until when Ys Seven was released where a party system was introduced, including in the games after it.

In any case, thanks once again for the translation. :thumbsup:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:53:44 pm »
Afroca?

Well that sounds like an unintentionally terrible name for a place.
I mean, I see what they were probably thinking. ("let's base it on a real place but change one letter so it's not")
Are hairstyles from the '70s still in over there? :P

Oh well, Falcom wrote it so you can't really change it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 07:17:46 pm »
Afroca?

Well that sounds like an unintentionally terrible name for a place.
I mean, I see what they were probably thinking. ("let's base it on a real place but change one letter so it's not")

This is pretty standard. The entire Ys world is based loosely on medieval Europe. Xandria (Alexandria), Romn/the Romun Empire (Rome/Roman Empire), Garman (Germany), Altago (Carthage), etc.
https://isu.fandom.com/wiki/Ys_World
Ys itself is based on a mythical city that supposedly sunk off the coast of France.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baie_de_Douarnenez

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 02:48:31 am »
Like Gideon Zhi said, Ys is indeed mostly based on real places with their names slightly edited. Just to add a few more places to the list above this post:

Eresia - Eurasia
Medo Sea - Mediterranean Sea
Ispani - Spain

They didn't bother changing anything for Europe though. You can see this right in the beginning of Ys Seven:

Commander Raud:
That red hair...
You must be from Europe.

The only thing left that would make the Ys series more close to reality was if the "Romun Empire" would sack/destroy "Altago" and salt the earth there so no more plants and crops could grow. Instead, if I remember correctly, they signed some sort of ceasefire agreement in this series. This was mentioned somewhere in Ys Seven.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carthage_(c._149_BC)

Edit: I also forgot to mention that "Canaan Islands" is probably either a reference to the Canaan settlement on the island of Saint Croix (in the United States Virgin Islands) or to the Canary Islands. That would seem to match the whole Spanish and Mediterranean theme in that area of the game (where Europe is supposed to be).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:48:46 am by Recca »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 09:53:53 am »
Edit: I also forgot to mention that "Canaan Islands" is probably either a reference to the Canaan settlement on the island of Saint Croix (in the United States Virgin Islands) or to the Canary Islands. That would seem to match the whole Spanish and Mediterranean theme in that area of the game (where Europe is supposed to be).

More likely the former; the Vortex of Canaan is likely supposed to be a reference the Bermuda Triangle.