News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Shounen Ninja Sasuke Translation Hack  (Read 4956 times)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Shounen Ninja Sasuke Translation Hack
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:15 pm »
I don't see any problem with it, I don't know why a name change was suggested.

WaterBlad64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 02:12:47 pm »
Me neither. I think it's a great title.

Plus, the title screen looks amazing!

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 02:42:06 pm »
I'm fine with "Boy Ninja" too. Doesn't rub me the wrong way at all. Beautiful work on this translation hack so far.

EDIT: Given the discussion below, thought I'd add that "Boy Soldier", "Boy Scientist", "Boy Astronomer" are just a few of the books that have boy + profession in their title. That formulation is hardly unknown in English!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:35:43 pm by goldenband »

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 04:20:49 pm »
I could discuss this at length because I've always done well in English in school, getting A+ grades in this subject throughout my entire life. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's English, which is why I mention this, and not because I'm a narcissist  :). Suffice it to say, though, that boy genius is a unique expression. Boy ninja doesn't sound right, and you wouldn't find people using it in any context whatsoever. That may be because you're never born a ninja or with any profession, but you are born a genius. There's an exception to this in the term mail man, but mail man is an expression because of the double M sound. We even say construction worker instead of construction man. Ninja Kid gets the meaning across very, very well because you would never (in English) expect a girl to be called a kid unless you were referring to multiple girls, as "all the kids at the party had fun." It bears saying that a lot of translations use this expression. Just search Ninja and Kid under NES translations to see how many do.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 04:54:21 pm »
I could discuss this at length because I've always done well in English in school, getting A+ grades in this subject throughout my entire life. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's English, which is why I mention this, and not because I'm a narcissist  :). Suffice it to say, though, that boy genius is a unique expression. Boy ninja doesn't sound right, and you wouldn't find people using it in any context whatsoever. That may be because you're never born a ninja or with any profession, but you are born a genius. There's an exception to this in the term mail man, but mail man is an expression because of the double M sound. We even say construction worker instead of construction man. Ninja Kid gets the meaning across very, very well because you would never (in English) expect a girl to be called a kid unless you were referring to multiple girls, as "all the kids at the party had fun." It bears saying that a lot of translations use this expression. Just search Ninja and Kid under NES translations to see how many do.

I don't find this argument very persuasive. Boy genius is not some kind of special exception. How about boy detective? You're not born a detective either. Boy in this case is just being used as an adjective to modify a title. It's not that crazy.

"Boy ninja" is a subset of "ninja". "Ninja boy" is a subset of "boy(s)". That's the actual difference. If I was going to use the word "kid" I'd probably still keep it before "ninja".

It's weird that you call mail man an exception, since it's formatted in the same way you think this title should be. It would make more sense to include in your argument as an exception if the term was "man mail".

Girls are called kids all the time, and not just in groups.

I am not convinced.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 05:05:17 pm »
How about boy detective?
...How about it? Never heard this use before, and I'm pretty traveled.

There is one other option I didn't mention, and it's to leave the word Shounen in the title. Shounen Ninja Sasuke. We all know what Shounen is from Shounen Jump, or maybe we don't. I think many, many people do because of this popular manga magazine.

It's weird that you call mail man an exception, since it's formatted in the same way you think this title should be. It would make more sense to include in your argument as an exception if the term was "man mail".
No, it's not weird in the slightest. In fact it's alliteration and that is the only reason the expression mail man exists; but I explained this to you already.

Girls are called kids all the time, and not just in groups.
Yeah, sure, all the time. It's just that I've never heard a solitary girl being called a kid, when in this specific instance it's more of a synonym for a tough, a gang member, a ruffian, etc. If you don't want to change the title, don't. I'm not the one who's doing the translation. However, when you ask somebody who's been taught the English, then he's going to give you his pointers, whether you take them or not.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 05:21:03 pm »
...How about it? Never heard this use before, and I'm pretty traveled.

Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective

There is one other option I didn't mention, and it's to leave the word Shounen in the title. Shounen Ninja Sasuke. We all know what Shounen is from Shounen Jump, or maybe we don't. I think many, many people do because of this popular manga magazine.

I considered that. I went with "Boy Ninja" because it was easier to make into a logo, and because it's an actual translation instead of just a romanization.

No, it's not weird in the slightest. In fact it's alliteration and that is the only reason the expression mail man exists; but I explained this to you already.

... they're called mail men because they're men who handle the mail. There's no alliteration in "fireman". We should probably start calling them "fire fellas" I guess.

Yeah, sure, all the time. It's just that I've never heard a solitary girl being called a kid, when in this specific instance it's more of a synonym for a tough, a gang member, a ruffian, etc.

"I need to pick my kid up from school later."

If you don't want to change the title, don't. I'm not the one who's doing the translation. However, when you ask somebody who's been taught the English, then he's going to give you his pointers, whether you take them or not.

the English

I rest my case. :laugh:

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:25 pm »
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective
Completely irrelevant, as there's a comma here and the words are arranged differently, making the difference. If you want to use this convention, then you can. However, the title would then be "Sasuke, Ninja Kid."

... they're called mail men because they're men who handle the mail. There's no alliteration in "fireman". We should probably start calling them "fire fellas" I guess.
If you can't even use the word because correctly then I don't know what to say except keep drinking your beer, kiddo.  :beer: There is an alliteration in mail man, but not in fireman. We both understand that.

I rest my case. :laugh:
In context it's correct, but you can ignore that if you see fit to.

You are either not reading most of the things you quote or you don't know how to read dependent clauses (because a ruffian is never a kid), which is why you may want to hire a proofreader for your scripts. There's a Help Wanted section if you decide to use it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:31:41 pm by POWCo-op »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44:50 pm »
If you're so hell-bent on criticizing this project, why not do your own version?

Nothing says there can't be multiple projects for one game.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 05:46:40 pm »
Completely irrelevant, as there's a comma here and the words are arranged differently, making the difference.

Man. Talk about moving the goal posts!

If you want to use this convention, then you can. However, the title would then be "Sasuke, Ninja Kid."

You've immediately contradicted yourself. If both "Ninja Kid Sasuke" and "Sasuke, Ninja Kid" are acceptable, then the comma doesn't make Encyclopedia Brown irrelevent.

If you can't even use the word because correctly then I don't know what to say except keep drinking your beer, kiddo.  :beer: There is an alliteration in mail man, but not in fireman. We both understand that.

What word do you think I used incorrectly? Alliteration?
EDIT: Never mind. You literally meant the word "because". I used it correctly.

In context it's correct, but you can ignore that if you see fit to.

You either learn English, or you learn the English language. You don't learn "the English"

You are either not reading most of the things you quote or you don't know how to read dependent clauses (because a ruffian is never a kid), which is why you may want to hire a proofreader for your scripts. There's a Help Wanted section if you decide to use it.

Whether a ruffian is or is not a kid has nothing to do with anything I've said. You're not making sense. Why would I want to insert the idea of a ruffian into the title anyway? That's not what shounen means.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:35 pm »
If you're so hell-bent on criticizing this project, why not do your own version?

Nothing says there can't be multiple projects for one game.
That would be SO COOL. I totally should do this. Totally.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 06:21:05 pm »
Well damn, Reld was getting some good feedback up to now...

There's an exception to this in the term mail man, but mail man is an expression because of the double M sound. We even say construction worker instead of construction man.

Fireman, policeman, spokesman, chairman, frontman, outdoorsman... in fact, here's a link so I don't have to write them all:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_words_suffixed_with_-man

Reld used 'because' correctly. Shounen means 'boy', not 'kid', they have different connotations. The comma in "Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective" is completely irrelevant: his name is Encyclopedia Brown, he is a Boy Detective. Did anyone mention Robin the Boy Wonder from Batman? Oh, there's another '-man'.

Using "the English" in this context is not correct, unless you're implying "the English which I used in my examples", which sounds like a bit of a stretch. Incidentally, I assume you were taught English, rather than being a native speaker of it? Just that I can't remember any native speakers using 'tough' as a noun since the 1920s, maybe. And as for 'ruffian'... well.

But most importantly... Why. Are. You. Arguing. About. This.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:32 pm »
I thought Psyklax would chime in on this topic. I knew it as soon as I saw he was online. Kid has a grudge against me, lol.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 06:59:01 pm »
I thought Psyklax would chime in on this topic. I knew it as soon as I saw he was online. Kid has a grudge against me, lol.

:huh:

I actually had to read through my post history. I honestly don't know why you got that impression. Anyone else can read my post history and tell me if there's any sign of a grudge.

I'm not the one to bear grudges. My opinion on "arguing on the internet" chimes with the many memes you can find on Google. All I did was see a new user who is producing what looks like a damn fine hack and then see you go after them while saying passive aggressive things like:

you may want to hire a proofreader for your scripts. There's a Help Wanted section if you decide to use it.

I feel you're being unfair to a new user of the site who is bringing something very good to the community. Especially since it seems completely unprovoked.

Apologies if you feel I have it in for you for some reason I can't establish, but I'm very active on this forum and I do like to help people, especially the newer ones.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 07:03:36 pm »
It's too bad that you can't block problematic users on this forum.

I'm hoping that it's clear the discussion has died down and that beating a dead horse won't accomplish anything.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 07:21:53 pm »
I agree it's supposed to be "Ninja Boy". In English, a character title often comes before the noun. In Japanese, it works the other way around. "Boy Ninja" not only sounds weird, but overly literal too.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:28 pm »
Ha ha oh god no more! :laugh:

The title stays as-is for now. I'm not 100% closed off to the idea of changing it, but it'll take a pretty strong argument to convince me.

In more frivolous news, I had a couple ideas I'd like to get some feedback on. These are just mockups at this point. If the general consensus is that the ideas are stupid I'd rather not waste the time implementing them. I'm pretty sure I can make them work though if they're well-received.

Idea Number 1:

Colored buttons on the equip screen. The green and red palettes actually already exist, but the blue one I'd have to hack in. I thought the gray buttons were just kind of dull to look at, and I've always liked the rainbow buttons of the Super Famicom. I realize that it doesn't totally make sense to color the buttons like the Japanese console for my translation hack, but the PAL controllers had the rainbow buttons too, right? So it's not completely crazy.

Idea Number 2:

Replacing the little "mon" next to your money with a coin graphic. This would require some palette trickery as well. "Mon" is actually what the currency in the game is called. It's a real Japanese currency that's no longer in use. I suspect that most English speakers would just think it was an abbreviation of "money" though, which would then seem like kind of a weird choice. If I instead put the coin graphic there (the same one you've probably already seen dropping from enemies before ever even bothering with the menu) it might seem less confusing. I don't really think anyone would be confused about what that number represents either way though. Just confused about what "mon" means. Thoughts?

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 09:45:07 pm »
I dig the title screen, and the recent pics, this is awesome.  :thumbsup:

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
I had to chime in to say great title screen work

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:54 pm »
Excellent title screen edit. Translation is looking really good, and the information about the hidden controls is awesome.
I tried this game before, but it seemed really janky on Snes9X. I don't know what's its problem exactly, whether it skips frames, or that it lags a lot. Overclocking the game doesn't seem to help by much. But it is pretty looking for sure.
The more colorful palette for the buttons doesn't pop up so much it's a visual annoyance, so yes they're good even though the grey palette is good enough too. "Mons" + the coin graphic in the menu would maybe eliminate the ambiguity you're concerned about, it already sounds like a made-up currency name derived from "money".

Oh man boy kid... Unsollicited position requests in fan projects is a bad look. This general attitude doesn't make it better.
We get you prefer a different name, but that you try attacking the translator and the other name in this fashion, take down other things to make your thing the only viable alternative, is very saddening.