News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes Recommended Translations...  (Read 2153 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Snes Recommended Translations...
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:15:22 pm »
After almost 15 years of having a messy SNES library, I renamed them all and that took me three hours to do, I already backed them up on my external HD.

I noticed that I only have a few English Translations for the SNES, and I'd like to catch up on some translations that were made over the years here.

Can you fellas please recommend me SNES translations that I can play? Thanks. :D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Snes Recommended Translations...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 07:49:54 pm »
I go with a general rule: if the game has a good working translation, it's one that's worth the trouble because of all the hard work that goes into it.  The only game I view as an exception is Sengoku because I wasn't even impressed with the NeoGeo original.  That said, I have a few.  I'll leave out the ones usually brought up as I'm sure someone else will (Live-A-Live or FFV for example are amazing, but brought up a lot).

-Marvelous: Think Zelda, but it's all puzzles and observation.  A really fun game that especially shines during the spring or summer.
-Wrecking Crew '98: Neat little puzzle game.  It has the original Wrecking Crew inside too.
-Super Robot Wars Gaiden: A pretty good place to start on the franchise while Gideon updates SRW3.
-I Love Golf!  O.B. Club: This is a really fun one with friends.  If you liked Kirby's Dream Course/the game it's based on, it still retains a similar feel except it's more like a mini-golf course (putters, no enemies and instead you have normal minigolf hazards, etc.).  This is the best golf game on the console, bar none.
-I Love Bikes! Street Racer Soul - Rider's Spirits: This is kinda like Mario Kart on motorcycles.  You can get by without a translation, but you'll be glad that you have one.
-The Stories of Ihatovo: A really nice adventure game that's written well (along with Tom's usual quality).  This deserves more attention, there's not even a review up.
-Mysterious Dungeon 2: Shiren is a perfectly good roguelike that can get addicting very quick on the SNES.  If you've played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, that series is a spinoff of this one.
-Dark Half: An RPG that did something different, in that the game has you switching perspectives between the good guy and the big evil.  Both play very differently, and the atmosphere is a fair bit more er... dark than the usual fare.  Also the plot is pretty well done.
-Breath of Fire II: the original translation was er... bad.  So take the retranslation.

The SNES also has a boatload of japan only games that are not only pretty fun, but are more than playable without a translation.  Unfortunately the only way to sift through all of that is by either playing them one by one, or by someone like SNESDrunk who goes through most of the catalog in general.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:17:35 pm by Chronosplit »

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:19:18 pm »
If you're super interested in everything, you can go to translations > console: SNES from the main page.

If not, a handful I liked are Daikaijuu Monogatari (Super Monster Shell Story), Dragon Quest 5 and 6, Final Fantasy 5, Eternal Filena, Front Mission.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:46:47 am »
I've had the good fortune to work on a bunch of good games for the Super Nintendo but my personal recommendation is Galaxy Robo. It's a cheesy but fun tactical RPG featuring giant robots. It can be challenging in spots, but it's fun to play and has a lot of charm.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:24:20 pm by filler »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 09:53:18 am »
If you're super interested in everything, you can go to translations > console: SNES from the main page.
Indeed.

Live A Live is the one I've spent the most time playing.  Things I'd like to get around to someday include:
Bahamut Lagoon
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Marvelous
Rockman & Forte
Seiken Densetsu 3
Slayers
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:32:59 am »
Like it was stated above, if you would like a complete list of all the SNES translations, you can always look here at the RHDN project page or at a group site like AGTP or Dynamic-Designs. My personal top ten recommendations would be the following:

Tales of Phantasia
Star Ocean
Seiken Densetsu 3
Bahamut Lagoon
Ys V
Magna Braban
Nekketsu Tairiku Burning Heroes
Record of Lodoss War
Wozz
Mystic Ark

Of course there's many other good ones out there as well. I just mentioned the few that I could quickly remember off the top of my head.

Edit: I also forgot to mention three other games that I would recommend playing: Rudra no Hihou, Live A Live and Treasure Hunter G. Ys IV is also pretty fun.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:32:41 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »
Indeed.

Live A Live is the one I've spent the most time playing.  Things I'd like to get around to someday include:
Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Gun Hazard's the one I've given the most time to, tbh. I love that game.

A few others from my pile that I might recommend:
Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
Madou Monogatari
Cyber Knight 2
Clock Tower
Mystic Ark
Metal Max Returns
Dark Half
Assault Suits Valken

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:05 pm »
So far my most enjoyable find from the random translations on the front page has been Energy Breaker, a game which I had never heard of before but which totally scratched my itch for a good SRPG; as an added bonus, it even comes with some Lufia references!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 09:16:04 am »
Almost 200 SNES games have fully playable English translations. So many people have done some mighty fine work. I'd suggest browsing through the list to see where your interests are. I did this and developed quite a backlog of translations to play now!

I'd be remiss if I didn't plug my own work in such a topic on this site! My projects are often overlooked as they are not well known games. However, all of my projects were chosen due to the story, characters, presentation, and music. So, they all have a little something special to offer in those areas. In my most recently completed projects, Glory of Heracles IV and Song of the Angel, the hacking work is amongst the finest you will see on the SNES platform. Certainly worth a look if you have not played them. :)

Dual Orb 2
Choumahou Tairiku Wozz (The Magical Land of Wozz)
Emerald Dragon
Heracles no Eikou IV: Kamigami Kara no Okurimono (Glory of Heracles IV: Gift from the Gods)
Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori (Song of the Angel: Prayer of the White Wings)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 07:58:32 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas.  :thumbsup:

I'm gonna start downloading these translations tonight, soon I'm gonna hit all the SNES Translations, so my library can bigger and better with the translations. :)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 10:52:05 pm »
"Building a library" is easy.  Actually getting around to playing everything – that's the tricky part.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:20:02 am »
I agree you really can't go wrong with any. I've taken a chance on many unknowns and never have been let down by the quirky Japanese goodness. I almost think the discovery is the best part.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"