News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Growlanser 1 - PSX Translation Thread  (Read 1274 times)

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
Growlanser 1 - PSX Translation Thread
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:31 am »
Can anyone vouch for and recommend a psx debugger that works well? Trying to text hack Growlanser 1 on PS1. I discovered that the game does not use shift-jis, and all of its text use a single byte. However after discovering this, I still can't yield and search results. Partially, but those partial results don't help. FCEUX and Bsnes have been great in the past for reverse engineering text routines so I'm hoping something that is of the same caliber for ps1 exists. I am suspecting either the game uses compression, or does something like tom sawyer on NES (bytes for text being offset).

April 28, 2019, 09:42:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I tried using Cheat Engine and it seemed to help.

Finally making some progress.

=============

Nevermind. Somehow my text table had wrong values. So I think I'm good. I was wrong about the above as well - seems like the Kanji is at least 2 bytes. But everything else is just 1 byte.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:16:39 pm by RaidouJFlo »

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Recommended PSX debugger?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:10:08 pm »
Glad to see you're making progress! I assume you've seen this thread:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25403.0

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
Re: Recommended PSX debugger?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:34:06 pm »
Glad to see you're making progress! I assume you've seen this thread:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25403.0

yeah I think I saw that long ago when I was curious about the game being english translated. Seems to me like they're targeting the psp version (though the thread died in 2017). I'd like to keep going with the ps1 version. thankfully there's a very good translation guide out there.

April 29, 2019, 12:16:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is now a GROWLANSER 1 PSX translation thread.

Progress is okay so far, but thoughts:

Testing is a pain in the ass because all the text seems to load at the beginning of a scene. Thus, to see text changes, I've had to reload a save state before clicking "new game." I'm using ePSXe but it would benefit me greatly to seek out a different emulator which at least has turbo mode.

Found a few pointers as well to big chunks of text. Just trying to understand how that works so that I can leverage it. There is also a lot of empty space in the rom.

I run out of space quite quickly when translating these boxes because anything that isn't kanji is XX 00. That includes white space, which is 00 00.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:16:05 pm by RaidouJFlo »

Kantu

• View Profile
Re: Growlanser 1 - PSX Translation Thread
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 06:03:15 am »
Hey, great to hear that someone is trying tackle Growlanser 1.
Is there something you need a hand with? Also Mednafen Emulator has a quite good Turbo mode.

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Growlanser 1 - PSX Translation Thread
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 11:51:46 am »
Wow I'm shocked someone is doing this now, I wish you the best of luck with Growlanser 1!