News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Pong on NES?  (Read 2663 times)

TheMidnightSnack

• View Profile
Pong on NES?
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:26:18 pm »
Are there any good ports of Pong for the Nes that I should know about? I wouldn't think that any official ports would exist, but I've been wrong before. Anyways, anything anyone can direct me to? With a computer opponent or otherwise; I just think a Pong game on Nes would be fine.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
Re: Pong on NES?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:03:33 pm »
It exists, but because most adults (older than, say, 24) want to stay out of legal trouble, it is impossible to tell you exactly where to find it.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:44:10 pm »
It exists, but because most adults (older than, say, 24) want to stay out of legal trouble, it is impossible to tell you exactly where to find it.
Oh? Is there a particular story I had missed on why NES homebrew pong or something would be tricky? I know the tetris people get a bit uppity about homebrew versions of tetris but as far as I was aware pong was in the clear, and arguably the main "my first more than hello world" homebrew on most of the systems I have followed.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:21:49 pm »
I have no real comment about whether pong is tricky because I got into the scene so late, and haven't followed news of this sort until joining this forum. It seems like many people began to hoard games as early as 1996. I used to think stealing was bad  :woot!:, but now I think preservation of video games is important.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:57:31 pm »
I have no real comment about whether pong is tricky because I got into the scene so late, and haven't followed news of this sort until joining this forum. It seems like many people began to hoard games as early as 1996. I used to think stealing was bad  :woot!:, but now I think preservation of video games is important.

:huh: Okay then.

So browsing through the GoodNES set, Battle Ball by UDISI is a simple pong game. There are better ones if you, y'know, type "pong nes" into Google. ::)

Like this: https://github.com/TomBrannan/NES-Pong
Or this: https://dendy.club/homebrew/3500-pong-for-the-nes.html

And of course they're all homebrew public domain games, so obviously there is no "legal trouble" that POWCo-op refers to. Though to be honest, if you want to find a more interesting game of pong, I'd recommend Nogginknockers 2 for DOS. I'll let you Google that one. ;)

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 12:38:36 pm »
Or this: [censored]
That links to a website with full retail NES games for download. Some legal trouble for sure. ;)

I once read there was a many games in 1 bootleg with a decent version of Pong on it, but I've no idea which one it is.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 06:24:36 pm »
That links to a website with full retail NES games for download. Some legal trouble for sure. ;)

If so, I wasn't aware, and I'm happy to remove the link if the mods so desire.

To be honest, it probably would've been better to just make a lmgtfy.com link and be done with it. :D