News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Easiest way to import custom model to SM64 editor  (Read 2284 times)

HurtMePlenty

• View Profile
Easiest way to import custom model to SM64 editor
« on: April 25, 2019, 01:58:35 pm »
I'd like to use SM64 Editor to make a Super Metroid 64 hack. I'm starting by trying to import Samus from SSB64 into Super Mario 64 as the player character, but I'm having a ton of trouble understanding this. Maybe someone can explain to me in simpler terms?

I just cannot seem to figure out how to replace the Mario model in SM64 with the Samus model from SSB64. In SM64 Editor when I load the ROM it says it has to extend it, and when I click continue I get a Microsoft.NET Framework window telling me an "unhandled exception has occurred in your application". If I choose to not extend the ROM it tells me that the importer is disabled, however this time the Custom Import button is accessible whereas before it was grayed out. This is my first issue.

My other problem is that when I decided to try to do the model import regardless of the program telling me it's disabled, I loaded a clearmario.ppf to erase the Mario model, and when I ran the game that did work. But when I tried to change Mario's head to Samus's head a window popped up saying "Maximum model size exceeded. Try reducing the number of textures." This confuses me though, because if both the Mario model and the Samus model are from N64 games (that don't utilize the expansion pack), then how are there too many textures? Shouldn't that work? If I'm missing some information about this part please correct me so I can learn.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to import custom model to SM64 editor
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:20:00 pm »
But when I tried to change Mario's head to Samus's head a window popped up saying "Maximum model size exceeded. Try reducing the number of textures." This confuses me though, because if both the Mario model and the Samus model are from N64 games (that don't utilize the expansion pack), then how are there too many textures? Shouldn't that work?
It seems fairly obvious to me that if you're replacing Mario's model with a new model, then the model has to be smaller than a certain maximum size in order to avoid problems with the game's engine. That is, it can't have too many polygons or too many textures.

As for the other problem, perhaps you have a bad ROM?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

HurtMePlenty

• View Profile
Re: Easiest way to import custom model to SM64 editor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 10:43:01 am »
So how can I go about resizing the model or reducing the number of textures?

EDIT: I was able to find a good rom, so that issue has been resolved. I also downloaded version 2.2 (I had been using v2.0.9). I had once again tried to load-in samus's head over Mario's and the first time I did it, it told me the model had been imported successfully. But when I started the rom in Project 64 it just gave me a black screen.

I even applied the Extend Bank 0x04 tweak successfully.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:07:55 am by HurtMePlenty »