News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A new Thracia 776 translation!  (Read 1570 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
A new Thracia 776 translation!
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:55:48 pm »
This is called Project Exile, no relation to Project Naga: https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/85081-fe5-project-exile-thracia-776-script-and-menu-translation-fully-complete-and-released/

A whole new script, can't beat that!  Make sure to read the stuff about emulators, you can't just throw this into BSNES and expect it to work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:02:51 pm by Chronosplit »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: A new Thracia 776 translation!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:09:53 pm »
Make sure to read the stuff about emulators, you can't just throw this into BSNES and expect it to work.

So in other words, it doesn't work on real hardware either. Encouraging.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:20:54 pm »
So in other words, it doesn't work on real hardware either. Encouraging.
No, it works on bsnes and it probably works on real hardware too. You just need to use a xml file or some other shit that bsnes sometimes requires when one hacks games...
There has to be a better life.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:55:28 pm »
They specify the following in their post about it. I don't know enough about the specifics of expanding SNES games, nor whether or not this means it will run on real hardware.

"IMPORTANT: Not all emulators are compatible with Project Exile, because the ROM has been expanded. It will work with Snes9x without any additional effort on your part. PE is also compatible with the ZSNES 8MB custom build. Finally, bsnes is also compatible, but only if you use the XML file provided in the download (it's in the "Optional" folder)."

rarenight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 12:26:56 am »
Is this new translation going to be added to the site?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 03:55:04 am »
No, it works on bsnes and it probably works on real hardware too. You just need to use a xml file or some other shit that bsnes sometimes requires when one hacks games...

A semi-recent build of bsnes-plus seems to run it fine at first even without the XML, i.e. the the intro scroll works properly. But then the save slot screen glitches out, which makes it impossible to actually start the game. Should be fine with the provided XML file. Snes9x works out-of-the-box as advertised. However, I've just checked on my Super Everdrive and all I get is a blank screen, sadly. According to a post in the project's forums, it does work on sd2snes, though.

This patch effectively expands LoROM to ExLoROM. And since there's only one commercial release which used that, Daikaijuu Monogatari 2, this might be largely uncharted territory. The memory map for DKM2 looks very different, though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:05:04 am by mziab »