News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kirby's Dream Land 3 Romhacking  (Read 471 times)

beta-ori

• The healing doesn't stop the feeling
    • View Profile
Kirby's Dream Land 3 Romhacking
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:36:55 am »
Hello! Today an idea occurred to me while I was playing Kirby's Dream Land 3 for SNES, that it would be really cool if there were some way to play as Gooey (the second player character, accessible at any time by pressing the A button) but only Gooey, without Kirby. As the game stands, in order to effectively play as Gooey, there must be two players, because there is a limit to how far the second player can go from the first player before they're warped back to the center of the screen. When there is no second player, Gooey is controlled by a CPU, but there is no way for Kirby to be controlled by a CPU instead. Keep in mind I would not be satisfied by a simple sprite swap, because Gooey has a slightly different mechanism of attacking. What I'm proposing is in effect to completely switch out the mechanics of the two player characters so that Gooey controls as he normally does, but can do so all by himself.

The problem is, I don't know the first thing about rom hacking! I was wondering if there's anyone who would be willing to help me on this task, which I imagine would be a relatively simple one all things considered (although I could be completely wrong) for someone well-acquainted with this sort of thing.

Thank you for your time! I would really appreciate any help!
A change in atmosphere can lead to progress, or maybe just leave you breathless, because of the no oxygen thing

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

beta-ori

• View Profile
Re: Kirby's Dream Land 3 Romhacking
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 01:56:10 pm »
Ok, I phrased that poorly. I have read through some basic information and looked at a tutorial or two so far, and have a next to basic understanding of how roms work. It just seems like there is a lot of information to sift through that may not necessarily be relevant to what I'm trying to do. To narrow it down, I'm wondering how I might go about finding the directories for the respective player codes in the sfc file, or maybe somehow map out the code in order to make those directories easier to find. As far as I've been able to tell Kirby's Dream Land 3 doesn't have any editors or patches to be found and is relatively untouched by the hacking community. The majority of the hex code for the game appears to translate to special character gibberish (I am unaware if this is common for SNES files). If someone were to point me in the right direction I might be able to figure out the rest for myself.
A change in atmosphere can lead to progress, or maybe just leave you breathless, because of the no oxygen thing

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:17:23 pm »
Ok, I phrased that poorly. I have read through some basic information and looked at a tutorial or two so far, and have a next to basic understanding of how roms work.
Is there something that led you to believe that ROMs have anything resembling "directories"..?  Because they don't.

As far as I've been able to tell Kirby's Dream Land 3 doesn't have any editors or patches to be found and is relatively untouched by the hacking community.
TCRF suggests the programmers left in an extensive debug mode.
https://tcrf.net/Kirby%27s_Dream_Land_3

On the one hand, it's kind of strange that with so much debug stuff available that the programmers did not also leave an easy way to play as Gooey.  On the other hand, if no one has found it after twenty years, then an easy way probably doesn't exist.  Anyway, since it uses the SA1 enhancement chip, digging into the game's code is probably an uphill battle even for people with experience.

The majority of the hex code for the game appears to translate to special character gibberish (I am unaware if this is common for SNES files).
Yes, it is rare to encounter anything else.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:23:36 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

beta-ori

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 11:42:18 pm »
Is there something that led you to believe that ROMs have anything resembling "directories"..?  Because they don't.
I apologize. At this point in my journey I'm still making a lot of educated guesses on the way the code might function, and I guess I kind of extrapolated from some info I've found about pointers. I should probably avoid making up my own terminology.

And thanks, in hindsight TCRF is likely a useful resource, I just haven't visited it in so long I nearly forgot it existed.

It would appear that I have my work cut out for me.