News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Which of the following is the best RPG? Feel free to add your favourite by putting it in a reply.

Seiken Densetsu 3
2 (6.9%)
Secret of Mana
0 (0%)
Chrono Trigger
13 (44.8%)
Final Fantasy VI
4 (13.8%)
Earthbound/Mother 2
2 (6.9%)
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
1 (3.4%)
The 7th Saga
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy IV
4 (13.8%)
Breath of Fire II
0 (0%)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
1 (3.4%)
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
0 (0%)
Fire Emblem (All of Them)
0 (0%)
Secret of Evermore
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy
0 (0%)
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
0 (0%)
Phantasy Star
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy VII
0 (0%)
Paper Mario
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy V
0 (0%)
Phantasy Star II
0 (0%)
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy IX
0 (0%)
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
0 (0%)
Phantasy Star IV
1 (3.4%)
Final Fantasy Tactics
1 (3.4%)
Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door
0 (0%)
Mother 3
0 (0%)
Pokemon Black/Black 2/White/White 2
0 (0%)
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
0 (0%)
Breath of Fire
0 (0%)
Lufia the Fortress of Doom
0 (0%)
Pokemon X/Y
0 (0%)
Dragon Quest/Warrior
0 (0%)
Pokemon Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: May 04, 2019, 01:22:56 am

Author Topic: Best Classic RPG (Heavily Revised)  (Read 3930 times)

James5541

• View Profile
Best Classic RPG (Heavily Revised)
« on: April 20, 2019, 01:22:56 am »
I'm just curious on what people thought of these games. They are considered by many to be the best RPGs and many of us have played them so I figured it only made sense to see which was the best of the best. =)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:03:22 am by James5541 »
"Do a barrel roll"

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Re: Best RPG
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:13:54 am »
Phantasy Star!

Ok, I admit it's not the definitive best... but it's short, sweet, the music's great, the sprites are pretty, and you get to fight dragons with a lightsaber.  What's not to love?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:51:10 am »
Tossing my hat in for Chrono Trigger, I had a great time with it back in High School, one of these days I'll definitely be going back to check out the SNES version.

Personally my favorite RPG is actually Dark Cloud 2 though, PS2 was inundated with great RPGs.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 12:23:14 pm »
Seiken Densetsu 3 & Secret of Mana - Pretty good games (counting hacks) but more hack 'n slash really. ~7.5/10

Chrono Trigger - Best of this lot. 8.5/10

Final Fantasy III/VI - Honestly had more fun with 5 but it's an ambitious and polished game for the time. 8/10

Earthbound/Mother 2 - Nice writing, unusual setting and some cool ideas here, but middling gameplay overall

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow - Eh

Final Fantasy II/IV - Not bad for the time and the j2e fan translation is fun. 7/10

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Pretty good if a bit shallow and repetitive. Some creative ideas. 7.5/10

Breath of Fire II - Seems poorly balanced and translated but I like the spritework a lot. ?/10

The 7th Saga - Dunno
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

James5541

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 02:45:10 pm »
Seiken Densetsu 3 & Secret of Mana - Pretty good games (counting hacks) but more hack 'n slash really. ~7.5/10

Chrono Trigger - Best of this lot. 8.5/10

Final Fantasy III/VI - Honestly had more fun with 5 but it's an ambitious and polished game for the time. 8/10

Earthbound/Mother 2 - Nice writing, unusual setting and some cool ideas here, but middling gameplay overall

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow - Eh

Final Fantasy II/IV - Not bad for the time and the j2e fan translation is fun. 7/10

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Pretty good if a bit shallow and repetitive. Some creative ideas. 7.5/10

Breath of Fire II - Seems poorly balanced and translated but I like the spritework a lot. ?/10

The 7th Saga - Dunno

Fair enough. I love Final Fantasy II/IV but my primary issues is the overflow of babying in the game. The game spells out many things that the player easily could've inferred themselves and it takes away from the experience. Final Fantasy III/VI is another example of almost an almost perfect game. I have more problems with this game than I do with FFIV but that's probably because Final Fantasy III is a much bigger game. Final Fantasy III is a completionist's nightmare. The amount of different things to do in this game is gut wrenching. There are Strago's Lores, Mog's Dances, Gau's Rages, and many of these are missable. The Espers and the stat maxing is a mind boggling experience for new players and to be honest I stopped playing the game for years because of how overwhelmed I was. It's a solid game but it could've been handled better. I agree with you on Final Fantasy V. It's my personal favourite in the series. I love the amount of customization available to the player with the newly mastered job system and Galuf is pretty amazing. All of the protagonists in the game are very well thought out and I love them dearly but Galuf is a whole other story. He's funny and witty and kind and most importantly he's the father figure of the main protagonist, Bartz/Butz. My only issue is he started the amnesia trend and none of us appreciate that. What happens to Galuf was the first thing to make me cry in a game and I'll probably always remember it. I don't know if you noticed but I play these games too much and I'll continue to do so for years.
"Do a barrel roll"

James5541

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:58:46 pm »
Phantasy Star!

Ok, I admit it's not the definitive best... but it's short, sweet, the music's great, the sprites are pretty, and you get to fight dragons with a lightsaber.  What's not to love?

Those sound like things I'd be interested in. I'll give it a try when I have time.
"Do a barrel roll"

cralso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 05:05:51 pm »
Legend of Mana  :P

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:31:49 pm »
I'd actually throw my hat in with Phantasy Star 4. I don't think it's the best but it deserves to be on this list, certainly more than 7th Saga. On this list though I think FF6. It's got the best story, the presentation is behind Chrono Trigger's but it's still gorgeous, every character is highly customizable but still completely unique from each other, and best of all there's no set main character. You can beat it with whoever. The only thing I'd say holds it back are the glitches. So. Many. GLITCHES.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 07:08:00 pm »
Legend of Mana  :P

Nobody in the world likes Legend of Mana more than Secret of Mana.  I refuse to believe it.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:40:18 pm »
Nobody in the world likes Legend of Mana more than Secret of Mana.  I refuse to believe it.
I do? Deal with it. Also, this list is pretty skewed. I think my favorite mid-early one is FF5, mid-era one Chrono Cross, and newer probably FF10.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:37:58 pm »
It's always been a tough call between Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.  Today, I'm going to have to go with Earthbound.  Slogging through Chrono Trigger to get all the new endings just did so much to kill my enthusiasm for the game.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

James5541

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 01:37:34 am »
It's always been a tough call between Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.  Today, I'm going to have to go with Earthbound.  Slogging through Chrono Trigger to get all the new endings just did so much to kill my enthusiasm for the game.
I felt the same way after a while too. My one and only issue with Earthbound is how slow the opening segment is. Other than that it's a solid game
"Do a barrel roll"

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 04:37:35 am »
Chrono Trigger will always be the number one RPG in my book. I'll never forget how amazing that game was when I first played over twenty years ago. And even to this day, it still remains one of the best RPGs. I don't think that I've ever played a game more times than this one. As for somewhat more modern ones, I really enjoyed playing Ys Seven. It's probably my second favorite game after Chrono Trigger. Seiken Densetsu 3 was also very good, but far too easy and it lacked quite a bit of character development and dialogue. I found the party of Duran, Angela and Hawk to contain the most amount of interesting conversations. However, the all male team of Duran, Kevin and Hawk really kicked some serious ass. I could take down bosses in less than five minutes with these guys fully leveled up and stat buffed (using items and/or spells). I never really understood why people like Earthbound so much though. It's even worse than Secret of the Stars in my honest opinion...
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 11:08:00 am »
I personally hate on screen encounters so I voted for FFIV.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 11:15:50 am »
Fair enough. I love Final Fantasy II/IV but my primary issues is the overflow of babying in the game. The game spells out many things that the player easily could've inferred themselves and it takes away from the experience. Final Fantasy III/VI is another example of almost an almost perfect game. I have more problems with this game than I do with FFIV but that's probably because Final Fantasy III is a much bigger game. Final Fantasy III is a completionist's nightmare. The amount of different things to do in this game is gut wrenching. There are Strago's Lores, Mog's Dances, Gau's Rages, and many of these are missable. The Espers and the stat maxing is a mind boggling experience for new players and to be honest I stopped playing the game for years because of how overwhelmed I was. It's a solid game but it could've been handled better. I agree with you on Final Fantasy V. It's my personal favourite in the series. I love the amount of customization available to the player with the newly mastered job system and Galuf is pretty amazing. All of the protagonists in the game are very well thought out and I love them dearly but Galuf is a whole other story. He's funny and witty and kind and most importantly he's the father figure of the main protagonist, Bartz/Butz. My only issue is he started the amnesia trend and none of us appreciate that. What happens to Galuf was the first thing to make me cry in a game and I'll probably always remember it. I don't know if you noticed but I play these games too much and I'll continue to do so for years.

After playing 1-3 (GBA/NES) I was a bit torn on the change in the overall structure in 4, which I guess made it the first proper JRPG. I also don't think its take on ATB and other battle mechanics was as good as later games (nor do I prefer ATB compared to TB).
Yeah I didn't really bother with most of that in VI but I should say I played 4-6 right after one another and then CT (or maybe it was CT then VI) a few years back and I'm not that into 16-bit or older RPGs either so I was a bit sick of the games at that point. I'll revisit 5-6 and CT at some point though as I have with 4 on GBA (modded).

My top RPGs:
Mother 3
FF7
Fallout 2
Langrisser II (MD)
Baldur's Gate w/ Expansion
Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
FF9
Chrono Trigger
Lunar: Eternal Blue (MCD)
PSIV
Shining Force II (MD)
Maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga (SAT) or Baldur's Gate II w/ Expansion (PC)

ARPG/AA:
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole (MD)
Dragon's Curse Remake (fan remake of Wonder Boy 3)(PC)
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)
Terranigma (SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Secret of Evermore (SNES)
System Shock 2 (PC)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Strife (PC)
Secret of Mana w/ mods

There's a lot that I haven't played yet though!

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

vhal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 12:26:34 pm »
My top RPGs:
Mother 3
FF7
Fallout 2
Langrisser II (MD)
Baldur's Gate w/ Expansion
Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
FF9
Chrono Trigger
Lunar: Eternal Blue (MCD)
PSIV
Shining Force II (MD)
Maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga (SAT) or Baldur's Gate II w/ Expansion (PC)

Great top :thumbsup:

Some other good recommendations:

Suikoden II (PS1)
Grandia (SAT)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Dragon Force (SAT)
Xenogears (PS1)
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
Dragon Quest V (SFC)
Breath of Fire III-IV-V (PS1-PS2)
Ring of Red (PS2)
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (SFC)
Front Mission 5: Scars of the War (PS2)
Tactics Ogre (SFC/PSP)
Ogre Battle 64 (N64)

Action-RPG/Adventure
Alundra (PS1)
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (PS1)
Brave Fencer Musashiden (PS1)
Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)

#

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 12:42:06 pm »
Pretty much all of these games have better sequels, two of which are in the poll. So I'll give my vote to those two (FFVI & SD3).

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 01:00:55 pm »
At the fear of being un-original in this lot I'd say Chrono Trigger. Great battle system, great soundtrack, and lack of grinding and great characters. It's been a LONG time since I've played it unfortunately but back then I would play through once per year or so.

As much as I love the soundtrack and graphics style, I have to admit that the gameplay in Legend of Mana is lame, and the story inexistant. It's a shame because there was potential for a masterpiece-classic.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 04:04:07 pm »
I'm surprised that ffiv made it onto the list and even more surprised that somebody besides me voted for it. I think it's pretty popular in the romhacking community because of how much of a blank slate it is; and thanks to ff4kster it is VERY easy to mod, but it rarely ever makes the shortlist for best ever.

Though, to be fair, I think ffix is actually the best ever.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 12:49:27 am »
List is weird, says Best Ever, but lists SNES RPGs only minus the Pokemon, so best Nintendo RPG? Also Evermore > Mana.