News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Tactics: Emergence (PSP)  (Read 2287 times)

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Tactics: Emergence (PSP)
« on: April 15, 2019, 06:49:53 pm »

It feels odd starting up a project page on this 2 years after "Final Fantasy Tactics: Emergence" was first finished, but better late than never. In this past week, I've revisited this project to fix a few persistent bugs, like the notorious "Bow-Wielding Monks". I've also fixed about a dozen other things. You can find the patch here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3291/
EDIT: Submission approved. Hack has been posted.

This forum post is for tracking any other bugs you find, or for suggestions you want to see.

To celebrate v1.1 being completed, I've also ported a TINY portion of this hack to PSX, called "Dark Knight Ramza". This micro-patch allows Ramza to learn "Dark Sword" and "Night Sword" by being hit by them. It also makes the recurring enemy Rofel into a Dark Knight to increase your chances of learning the skills. You can find that here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4463/

Happy playing!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:58:47 am by PowerPanda »

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: Emergence (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 02:56:19 am »
This seems pretty cool! Question though. I've never had any luck patching anything on PSP before, and I know the files can come in a couple of different formats. Is there a particular format needed? And do you know of a good patching guide for PSP games?

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 04:29:32 am »
This seems pretty cool! Question though. I've never had any luck patching anything on PSP before, and I know the files can come in a couple of different formats. Is there a particular format needed? And do you know of a good patching guide for PSP games?

i'd assume you need an .iso file as that is basically the only sane format to keep psp games as.
the hack page says "europeran PSP version" needed, but seeing that the patch is a ppf and there's no checksum information,
im actually surprised why this hack submission wasnt rejected because it doesnt actually provide suffiecient information on what you
need to use it on to begin with.
In PSP we trust.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:18 am »
I patched using PPF-O-Matic: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/354/

Mugi, I was a very new hacker when I first submitted this. Knowing what I know now, I am also very surprised the submission was accepted. I included the ROM/File SHA-1 in my update. I still don't know too much about the PPF format.

As a test, I patched the PPF to a US Rom also, and it appeared to work. I only played the first few turns of the first battle though (which was enough to test a handful of my changes). I've had people report some really weird sprite behavior during the Balthier recruitment battle, and my suspicion is that they are using a US ISO. It's possible that this will work on both versions though. I don't expect it will work on a Japanese ISO due to the text changes.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:53:37 pm »
it really depends on what you do with the rom really.
ppf can do the job for smaller things, but i do recommend switching over to xdelta for checksum validation with psp isos.
it's just a bit more comfortable that way.

alternatively, you could just always extract the iso and patch the internals instead, although the biggest issue of this is
that currently there are no good tools to put a psp iso back together through commandline or so, and having users deal with
umdgen is not really convenient. That's the main reason i set out to just get my own isobuilder done for whatever i need to patch.

the other thing with patching internals is that if you patch the elf file, you will have to decrypt it first, othervise your patch will just
always contain the whole damn elf in the patch, which is also not really convenient, not to mention the copyright aspect of distribuing such things.
fortunately deceboot ( http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1225/ ) solves that issue.
In PSP we trust.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 03:46:03 pm »
If I work on PSP again, I might go for the xdelta. PPF was the de-facto standard over on Final Fantasy Hacktics, which is where I learned the basics of romhacking. In this instance, it seems to be working to my advantage, as it's "forgiving" if you're not using the exact same ISO.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 10:07:10 am »
This is a few days late, but I released a version 1.1.1 which fixes a few abilities and items:

Spoiler:
ABILITIES
*Judgment Blade - inflicted status corrected from "Aegis" to "Slow".
*Esunaga - corrected to cure "Undead" in addition to all other negative statuses.
*Salve - now cures "Oil" in addition to "Poison", "Blind", and "Silence".
*Dark Whisper - corrected to be learnable on contact (only applies to Reis)

ITEMS
*Salve Staff - corrected to have the same status-lifting properties as the Salve ability.
*Wizard Rod - now boosts MA by 2, just like the description says.
*Windslash Bow - wind element added, incorrect status effect removed.

DATABASE UPKEEP
-These entries all have old data left over from previous builds. The data is dummied out, so they do not affect gameplay. However, I'm correcting these so that the database is "clean" should any future hackers wish to build on my work.
-The following abilities had status effects listed, though their damage formula was incapable of inflicting them:
*Osmose
*Drain
*Ama-No-Murakamo
*Shout
*Crushing Blade
The following had the ability to be learned on contact from an unreleased build where Luso was a Blue Mage. Their entries have been corrected
*Goblin Punch
*Self-Destruct
*Ink Blast
*Gigaflare

FILE STRUCTURE
*resources.zip has been updated to include titles for all battles and story scenes, and all damage formulas.

I have had one bug already reported, :banghead: but it's too small to warrant an update at this point. In the Chapter 2 Zierchele Falls battle, there is an Archer equipped with a longsword.

I'm also considering swapping the Squire's "Float" with the enchanter's "Vanish". Vanish only prevents a unit from being targeted by enemies until their next turn, so it seems to fit better with the Quick/Stall spells from the Squires. Float is not the most useful Enchantment, but it seems to fit Enchanters.

May 07, 2019, 03:47:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just figured out a way to fix the text errors without rebuilding the rom. :woot!:

So I guess version 1.2 is coming soon? I hope against hope that is the absolute last version.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:47:03 pm by PowerPanda »

Final Boss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 08:26:21 pm »
If I was to change anything at all it would be to make characters more balanced by increasing female str by 1 and males magic by 1, as well as making all characters gender set to the value for monsters, making them essentially pansexual as far as attractability for fairness to real life human sexuality by having those options available. That would make it the ultimate version.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 01:24:55 am »
Yikes.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:55:22 am »
If I was to change anything at all it would be to make characters more balanced by increasing female str by 1 and males magic by 1, as well as making all characters gender set to the value for monsters, making them essentially pansexual as far as attractability for fairness to real life human sexuality by having those options available. That would make it the ultimate version.

Making attraction work on the same gender is not hard. I already changed "Steal Heart", "Plunder Heart", and "Allure". As far as I know, I only missed "Charm." For that, I can just change the formula from #29 to #3D. In fact, I think I'll include that change in the next version.

As for changing the characters to be genderless... it's a hard no from me. This would require a significant rewrite of the game's code for very little benefit. Right now, there are 3 "genders" in FFT: Male, Female, and Monster. The sprites for the classes are all tied to the gender. Additionally, the Monster "gender" cannot change classes. In short, to add this to Emergence would take as long as the rest of the hack combined.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:06:07 am by PowerPanda »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 02:49:13 pm »
Version 1.2 has been completed, and has been submitted to Romhacking for approval. (EDIT: It has been approved, and is available for download here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3291/)

The high-level changes are:
*All known textual errors corrected
*All innate reaction abilities have been removed, due to popular demand
*A few abilities have been shuffled around between classes, and 4 more abilities have been added
And, the biggest change...
*Luso has been given a unique class based on the guest character Orran's "Astrology" abilities

Here is the detailed breakdown.
-=-=SYSTEM=-=-
*ISO has been rebuilt from scratch to correct all known item, tech, and help text errors.
*Text for PSP-only Rendesvous Reward items has been updated and corrected.
- Important Note: all of these items are dummied out in FFT: Emergence. The only way to gain them is to load a save file from another version of the game or hack your save file.
- Bags have replaced the items that replace them in Emergence (Fell Swords and Pistols).
- Should Bags be hacked into your game, they can only be equipped by Chemists, Orators, and Onion Knights.
- All other items have updated names and help text.

-=-=CLASSES=-=-
=SQUIRE=
- 'Vanish' ability added.
- 'Float' upped to 150 JP.

=WIZARD=
- 'Firaja', 'Blizzaja', and 'Thundaja' reduced to 580 JP
- 'Dark' reduced to 600 JP

=ENCHANTER=
- 'Vanish' removed.
- 'Dispel' reduced to 200 JP, targeting limited to 1 tile
- New Ability 'Dispelja' added for 400 JP

=ARCHER=
- Innate ability changed from 'Vigilance' to 'Defense Up'

=THIEF=
- Innate ability 'Reflexes' removed

=MYSTIC=
- Innate ability changed from 'Absorb MP' to 'Manafont'

=ONION KNIGHT=
- 'Master Teleport' added as an Innate ability for Master Onion Knights
- 'Moogle Charm' removed

=MAGUS=
- 'Master Teleport' removed
- 'Celestial Stasis', 'Astral Light', and 'Grand Cross' removed
- New abilities 'Bio', 'Biora', and 'Bioga' added. These previously enemy-only abilities have had their status effects changed to be more fitting for a player character
- Now requires Lv.8 Soldier to unlock, in addition to Master Monk, Master Wizard, & 20 kills

-=-=CHARACTERS=-=-

=STARTING GENERIC CHARACTERS=
- In addition to Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie, the other 3 generics have been given the static names of Dak, Sarah, and Ashley.

=LUSO=
- No longer a copy of the Tengille Family's Arcane Knight class (aka Meliadoul's, Isilud's, and Folmarv's class)
- Gains 'Moogle Charm' from the Onion Knights, renamed to 'Montblanc'
- Borrows 'Quick'/'Stall' from the Squires, who retain their use.
- Gains 'Astral Light', 'Celestial Stasis', and 'Grand Cross' from the Maguses.
- All gained abilities have had their JP costs updated.

=AGRIAS, MELIADOUL, FOLMARV, ISILUD, & GAFFGARION=
- All have gained the "Spirit Blade" ability

-=-=BATTLES=-=-
*Ch2 - Zierchele Falls - Archer corrected to be holding a bow.
*Midlight Deep 10 - Terminus - After beating the storyline battle, there are 4 special encounters in Terminus, inspired by the Rendesvous Battles. Each has a copy of a side character with a unique class, plus all 3 variations of the 4 strongest monster classes.
 1. Reis and Dragons
 2. Beowulf and Behemoths
 3. Valmafra and Hydras. Valmafra has Cletienne's Magick set of Holy, Darkness, Luminaire, Flare, and Arise, with the Squire's "Red Magicks" as a secondary skillset.
 4. Chocobos and Cloud. This has 1 black Chocobo named "Teioh" (party level +5) with 3 Yellow and 3 Red Chocobos for backup. Cloud cheats and uses the Onion Arts skillset as his secondary skill (Barrage).

===---===Version 1.1.1 to 1.2 Compatibility Notes===---===
Final Fantasy Tactics does not store abilities by their ID number. Rather, it stores them by slot. So, if one version of the game had the spells listed in the order of "Fire, Blizzard, Thunder", and you learned "Fire", the game doesn't actually store that you learned "Fire". It stores that you learned "Slot #1". If the next version had them ordered "Thunder, Fire, Blizzard", and you loaded your save file, you would know "Thunder" instead. This affects a few classes between 1.1.1 and 1.2.
*SQUIRE > Vanish has been added. As a result, all abilities except Chant, Salve, and Oil have been shifted down 1 slot.
* ENCHANTER > the slots for 'Vanish' and 'Dispel' have changed to 'Dispel' and 'Dispelja'.
* MAGUS > the slots for 'Astral Light', 'Celestial Stasis', and 'Grand Cross' have been replaced with 'Bio', 'Biora', and 'Bioga'. Master Teleport has been removed. There is no way to gain back the 3000 JP.
* ONION KNIGHT > 'Moogle Charm' has been removed.
* LUSO > Luso is totally different, but all abilities should map to a rough equivalent in terms of JP.
* AGRIAS, MELIADOUL, GAFFGARION > All abilities have shifted down by 1 slot.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:05:50 pm by PowerPanda »