News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What techs would a playable Schala have?  (Read 8883 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: What techs would a playable Schala have?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 08:57:15 pm »
IMHO, she should use books/grimoires.
Oh, I'm definitely in support of a character that smacks things with books.  Doesn't happen nearly often enough.  (There's Klarth in Tales of Phantasia, and I guess Kirby sort of does it in Planet Robobot/Kirby Clash.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 12:58:49 am »
What about if she couldn't actually "Fight" at all?
Hear me out, so, like she has some sort of low-mp tech that runs a routine similar to the fight routine, except it draws on magic power instead of attack power. Like a magic missle. It's non-elemental on its own, but if she has a weapon equipped with an elemental property (whether she uses books or staves or whatever), it takes on that element. Equipping new weapons for Schala, then would increase her magic power and possibly imbue the magic missle with an element. It would cost maybe only one or two mp, but if she's completely drained then she can't attack at all. BUT, in place of the "Fight" command she has something like "Focus," which allows her to use a turn to regenerate some MP. Not fill up, and maybe not even as much as an item would, but enough to magic missile a bunch more and maybe enough to cast a mid-level spell.
Of course she'd still have other spells, too, but I think this would add a fun dynamic to a character who otherwise might seem a little too OP in the maghic department.

Also, pimpslap.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 01:49:51 pm »
So I've been taking a look at the Chrono Trigger rom in the past few days. I just put out a hack that adds back in the 2 awesome, unused music tracks, and I'm considering another hack that separates Water and Ice into different elements. And...

I honestly cannot see how anyone would feasibly add an 8th character to this game without redesigning it from the ground up. It's not just animations; it's not just adding weapons and armor; it's not just the limit for techs; it's not even the character select screen not having room. It's that every Player Character is initialized in EVERY. SINGLE. LOCATION. Switch to a new screen? Your PC is reloaded. That requires 5 bytes per character, which doesn't sound like much until you factor in that there are 503 locations. That's 2,515 bytes of additional event space, plus repointing the starting byte of every event.

For perspective, it has taken the FF6 hacking community years to create a full 16-character roster hack, and there are only a handful of locations in the game where events had to be edited to account for this.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 04:18:16 pm »
If a new character can't be added, then maybe one of the already existing ones could be replaced with Schala instead. Let's say Marle was replaced with Schala, it could lead to a Chrono Trigger hack with an all new story line. One in which Schala was teleported to 1000 AD via time gate like the other characters there were after the Ocean Palace disaster and was found and adopted by King Guardia as his own daughter. She might have a case of amnesia and not actually remember her past all too well. Perhaps only certain flash backs that appear slowly throughout the game until the party reaches 12,000 BC where at one point, she will remember everything. Think about it, this could be an awesome hack where that annoying spoiled Marle could be replaced with Schala as Crono's girlfriend and eventual wife.

In this version, the whole "Kingdom Trial" part would still happen and most things would probably still be the same overall, with a few interesting changes and twists. For example, when encountering Magus in 600 AD, there could be a different scene if Schala is in your team. Perhaps something like this for instance:

Magus: …!
Schala?!
No it couldn't be...
This must just be some strange coincidence...

Schala: How do you know my name?!

Magus: …

Another change to the story might be when Marle and King Guardia had that argument in 1000 AD during her side quest. Only in this case, Schala will question the king about why he didn't tell her that she was adopted all this time (after she finds out the truth during the Ocean Palace disaster). There could also be a touching moment where he apologizes and tells her because he always thought of her as his real daughter and didn't want to lose their bond or something along those lines.

Edit: I just thought of something pretty funny. If Crono (a red haired swordsman) had a child together with Schala (a blue haired mage), would their child be a purple haired swordsman with lightning magic? Kind of like future Trunks from Dragon Ball Z? Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. Akira Toriyama did make the art for both. :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:40:43 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 08:30:21 pm »
You can't really remove any of the characters in Chrono Trigger. They're like Jenga Pieces in a game that is near its end...take one out, and the whole thing collapses.

This reminds me of the Playable Aeris hacks for FF7 that people have suggested making/possibly made (I don't keep up with RHDN like I used to). To me, it's a neat trick, but it kind of attacks the feelings generated by the original storyline in a way that I feel makes it not Chrono Trigger.
Yamero~~!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 09:04:09 pm »
There was some conversation in the Chrono Trigger Plus thread about some ways to hook a Schala appearance in.  One of them was using some pre-release stuff found in prehistoric times as a way to hook it in.

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Translated_Text_(CTP).html#New_Laruba_Village_.26_Worship_of_Strange_Stone

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 10:28:16 pm »
You can't really remove any of the characters in Chrono Trigger. They're like Jenga Pieces in a game that is near its end...take one out, and the whole thing collapses.

This reminds me of the Playable Aeris hacks for FF7 that people have suggested making/possibly made (I don't keep up with RHDN like I used to). To me, it's a neat trick, but it kind of attacks the feelings generated by the original storyline in a way that I feel makes it not Chrono Trigger.

Surely Square-Enix will do it in the remake, or better yet as DLC. They can't resist the surefire cashgrab.
If they care, they'll even come up with a storyline alteration for it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 01:04:24 am »
I honestly cannot see how anyone would feasibly add an 8th character to this game without redesigning it from the ground up. It's not just animations; it's not just adding weapons and armor; it's not just the limit for techs; it's not even the character select screen not having room. It's that every Player Character is initialized in EVERY. SINGLE. LOCATION. Switch to a new screen? Your PC is reloaded. That requires 5 bytes per character, which doesn't sound like much until you factor in that there are 503 locations. That's 2,515 bytes of additional event space, plus repointing the starting byte of every event.

I've been working on an 8th character patch for some time. Editing the location events is tedious, and you also need to reorder the objects so the 8th character comes before all the NPCs, or the caterpillar system will get messed up. Fortunately it's not hard with Temporal Flux, just time consuming.

- The graphics loading had to be modified to load data from banks other than the ones that originally held PC sprite data.
- The main menu icons were originally sprites, and had to moved to the background to allow some menus to function properly.
- The only thing necessary for the character swap menu is removing Gaspar. The menu was already set up to scroll if more than 4 PCs are in reserve.
- Parts of tech data need to be in order, so that needs to be expanded and relocated.

Fortunately some parts of the game's data were already done with 8 characters in mind, which helps some.
Mauron wuz here.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 10:51:17 am »
I've been working on an 8th character patch for some time. Editing the location events is tedious, and you also need to reorder the objects so the 8th character comes before all the NPCs, or the caterpillar system will get messed up. Fortunately it's not hard with Temporal Flux, just time consuming.

- The graphics loading had to be modified to load data from banks other than the ones that originally held PC sprite data.
- The main menu icons were originally sprites, and had to moved to the background to allow some menus to function properly.
- The only thing necessary for the character swap menu is removing Gaspar. The menu was already set up to scroll if more than 4 PCs are in reserve.
- Parts of tech data need to be in order, so that needs to be expanded and relocated.

Fortunately some parts of the game's data were already done with 8 characters in mind, which helps some.

Wow. That is some dedication, sir.  :thumbsup:

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 02:08:05 am »
That does look very impressive indeed! I hope that it all goes well and that the eighth character integration is a success. :thumbsup:

I once read an article over at the CT Compendium that Gaspar was originally supposed to be the eighth playable character, but he was cut out before release. I wonder why this is? Did they think that having eight playable characters was too much or did they decide at the last minute that they didn't want to add an old man in the party? Maybe it was a data limitation of some sort or story conflict, who really knows? If anyone else is interested in this, they may read more about it here:
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=8944.0
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 10:48:02 am »
Looking at the code, they decided on 7 playable characters very early on in development. My guess is that Magus took his place. Like, after Crono died, Gaspar might have been slated to join your team.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 04:45:55 am »
There actually is one niche that hasn't been done in Chrono Trigger and I would LOVE to see it happen.
Enemies can drain PCs but not vise versa, so I'd do Schala as a drain mage/support type. I mean it's well established that she's adept at manipulating magic very finely and precisely with her control over the Mammon Machine and that dope teleport that saves the party from *UNDER THE OCEAN*. It's feasible that she could manipulate the magic and energies within her enemies as well. I'd do something like
- Shadow Shot (Single Target) 3MP
- MP Donate 3MP
- Shadow Seer (Line attack) 6MP
- MP Drain 1MP
- Sleep (Single Target) 8MP
- Shadow Sweep (Full Screen) 12MP
- Life Drain 8MP
- Sacrifice (Self kill but Mega Elixir effect on party) 25MP

This would give her a very unique niche in the party as a self-sustaining drain mage. Her spells would be costed up to compensate for her MP Drain but would be about as strong as other spells (Shadow Sweep being costed higher but as strong as Fire2/Lightning2/Ice2/Water2)

I also like her ult being what it is as a throwback to her self sacrifice in the Ocean Palace, as well as actually making Green Dream worth using on someone.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 03:04:11 pm »
There was definitely a point early on that 8 was considered. The most notable part is that when starting a new game, character stats, starting techs, and parts of weapon data are all copied into RAM as one large block. The weapon stats are never used, but the size of that copy would account for an extra character worth of stats. It definitely got dropped prior to the prerelease though.
Mauron wuz here.