News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sonic Cronos (My WIP Sonic 1 hack)  (Read 7197 times)

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
Sonic Cronos (My WIP Sonic 1 hack)
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
BUG: Do not drop-dash while destroying breakable blocks under you or after hitting springs. I tried contacting LuigiXHero so we could fix it, but no replies, and I do not know how to fix it.

BIG NOTE: Make sure to scroll this thread down to see the changes between each version that I posted here. Some of the new credits will be on those posts, as well as updated screenshots, which means that the first screenshots and posts do not represent how parts of this project looks now. The old versions like 1.1 or 1.2 are no longer available, since I update the download link with the new version.

Also the name Cronos is spelt like this here on Brazil, so that is why I kept it like this.

On this topic, I want to show off a Sonic 1 hack I have been doing a few months ago. I submitted an old demo of it on a contest and here is where i'll keep the updates, or, if i can't, I'll just leave the link on the update reply instead. The rom only have the first 7 acts done and half of the eight done and 1 special stage edited so far, and everything of it was made all by me and me only (except the Spindash and Dropdash which were available on a free assets thread which only requires credits for the author, which will be above), with some hints and feedback from friends.

The hack features:

-New Title Screen.
-New level designs with good speed and platforming(including slopes on zones that didnt had any), made fully by custom chunks. No original zone chunks used.
-New musics per act, when the zones one, three and five have three different musics and zones two, four and six will have remixed versions of one song.
-New art and palettes per act, where all act 3 have new backgrounds related to the previous somehow, creating a progression and transition feels to the stages, and every art of one act related to the previous. This also includes different decorations and different foregrounds in a few zones.
-Edited ASM for almost all enemies, the first boss and for some other things.
-New sprites for Sonic and for most enemies and objects.
-Normal rings replaced with Silver Rings.
-Custom HUD.
-Spindash and Dropdash.
-Custom Special Stage gameplay.
-Mixed gimmicks.
-Monitors replaced with chests, which also have custom icons.
-A false Monitor.
-New fonts.
-Extended camera.
-Sonic 2 Simon Wai Prototype level select.
-Mixed enemies which changes from one act to another.

Ill post it as soon as i can, as well as screenshots.

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo-png-584f89ac-0c01-44e7-9200-a4e473d44f5c

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_tituloqwe-png

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo3-png-cf5ffd4b-4c5a-4ef5-8bc1-bdd8a6baf2d1

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo4-png-5c6da737-c927-4e59-947b-41df3ffa0a97

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo5-png-cd4c0ccd-d832-4388-84cd-eb49303074c9

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo6-png-fd404ea6-db2e-4e06-ad92-deae843e84c2

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo7-png-1444c819-bea7-4e00-85d9-5449530022ca

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo8-png-e0ef62aa-352c-4796-ab47-4b94642806d2

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/semtitulo9-png

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/sem_titulo10-png-748e2aad-4b34-44ee-9abb-b9dfbc60fc90

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mu3sq8u8928v2w6/Sonic+Cronos+V1.6.bin

Credits:

LuigiXHero - for the spindash and dropdash disassembly and the foreground art of Dread Ocean act 1.
EMK - useful hints.
Burst, Trinitonity, EMK- beta testers.

The Sprite Resource rips credits goes to : Somari64, Divine Man, Shadowbot, KK Slayer, Divine Insect, Okamikurainya, Flare, Skylights, Triangly, Radspyro, Doc Melonhead, Techokami, Dazz, Yawackhary, Dolphman

Sonic sprites credits goes to: Dolphman, TheGoku7729 and Glitchy.

Please leave a feedback. Have a nice day.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:26:06 am by Timaeus »

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Cronos (My WIP Sonic 1 hack)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 11:54:54 am »
Update:

-Lots of alternative paths have been added.
-The number of obstacles have been decreased, to make things more polished.
-The platforming section with circles on Angelic Bay act 1 is now easier, and there is a alternative path to avoid it.
-The second and third special stage have been edited.
-Angelic Bay act 2 background is now a little darker (due to a critism I got)
-Now some high speed areas are not cutted out of nowhere , increasing the flow.

The download of Version 1.3 is on the first post.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:32:30 am »
I assume you meant to post these directly:

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 03:50:42 pm »
Yeah. Sorry. The last time I used a forum was a long time ago, so I forgot how to do that.

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:25:34 pm »
Update:

-5 new edited acts, including Ruby Edge act 3, the three acts of a new zone: Dread Ocean, and the first act of other new zone: Urban Garden.
-All the bosses available have been changed, and the ones that look cheap on the pics above are not cheap at all, some having less hits to defeat as well.
-Some musics have been changed.
-Alot of fixes on various things.
-A new Sonic's image for the title screen with animations, since the other was very wierd and bad overall.

and alot more.

Download link of version 1.4 will be on the first post as always.

the foreground art of Dread Ocean act 1 was imported by LuigixHero, also a thanks to Trinitronity and Robert for name suggestions.

Constructive critism is always welcome, and as always, a big thanks to everyone that gaved me advices and criticisms and to my discord friends that are always on my side. Big thanks.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 08:46:29 pm »
Hey that looks awesome,I hope this hack keeps getting improved. :)

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 02:02:52 pm »
Thank you very much.

Also, I remade the download link since I forgot to fix the breakable block on Angelic Bay act 1.

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 03:53:22 pm »
Update:

-All acts of Angelic Bay zone, acts 1 and 2 of Forgotten Land, all the acts of Ruby Edge, act 2 of Dread Ocean and act 1 of Urban Garden have been retouched, mostly by an addiction of an item that I didn't used yet, and their level design is even better and alot more creative.
-Some musics have been remade by using different instruments and a sound effect, making them better, more unique and more fitting with their stages.
-Some untouched sprites (Ballhog, Eggman's ship, the platforms at Angelic Bay, the Big and small spike balls, Newtrons)are now changed.
-A few touches here and there.
-Some bug fixing using Sonic Retro guides.

Big thanks for LordXernom by sharing the instruments and suggesting me to use them on my musics, and for HyperPlant for his incrediable gigantic support over my project, making me go forward when I am down. Thanks alot guys! Also thanks to Sonic Retro of course, with their incrediale and extremely helpful guides.

The credits for the sprite rips will be on the first post, which it will be updated with their credits and with version 1.5.

March 08, 2019, 03:39:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

March 08, 2019, 03:55:35 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Small Update:

I decided to put this project into a hold for a while, so I decided to make some extra changes into 1.5 these days before that. They include:

-A pause and unpause sound.
-Palette changes for the Continue screen and Special Stage results screen, also making the "Continue" word use the same font as the hud and added a custom icon to it.
-Custom Game Over and Continue song remixes.
-Extension of the Sound Test's slots, from E5 to FF, as well as extra old tunes to them(please don't mind that some of those songs are not as good as the main ones. I made them before learning some stuff and they are there just as extra stuff.)
-Added MegaPcm driver which comes with custom drumset(credits goes for its creator, Vladikcomper).
-Some few changes here and there to avoid being stuff in some places.
-Special Stages 4 and 5 have been edited.

These are the main changes. The download link, as always, will be on the first post. Thanks for HyperPlant for suggesting to make a remix of the Title screen for Game Over and Continue songs.

I will take a break from the project for now. Constructive feedbacks are always welcome.

Apperently I pressed a wrong button that made my post being posted before I could finish it, and I did not realized it before finishing it. Sorry about that, it was not intentional. I apologize.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:59:01 pm by Timaeus »

Austin Girouard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 09:31:08 am »
This hack is amazing!I would have never thought of an idea to collect gems instead of rings. But I noticed that there is a glitch on angelic bay act 2 I have a screenshot here:https://cdn-08.anonfiles.com/o1G7v6n8n0/7617f03d-1557066604/Screenshot_20190505-092936.png

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 09:59:13 am »
Looks good. Maybe the title can be mixed with Sonic Chrono adventure of lakefeperd.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 02:23:52 am »
Ooh that Robotonik fight in the half-pipe looks like a lotta fun. Great work!

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 05:10:52 am »
This look pretty cool  :)

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »
Update:

- Act 3 of Urban Garden is done, as well as act 1 of the final stage (Cryonic Egg Zone).
- Improved art for Angelic Bay act 1 and 2, with better background, foreground decorations and a new palette for act 2 as well.
- Title Screen's palettes have been changed, making a darker tone to feel different.
- New extra musics including mixes made by me, a new act clear music and a new mix for Angelic Bay act 2.
- The background of Urban Garden act 2 is changed, using less colors since there was way too many before.
- The volumes of the bass on the musics are now higher, since it was way low before, making some musics sounds even better.
- New decorations based as references of other less known Sonic characters.
- The Special Stage's art has been changed to a more simplistic look, to make it more unique looking. The sky from the background is now pink instead of purple.
- New animations for Forgotten Land act 1 and 2 (the stars of the background and the red and grey Sonic CD emerald on the picture above), as well as new decorations too and a better red color for the act 1 mountains.
- Changed the bat's sprite as well as making it flash. Also placed more of them around Urban Garden Zone.
- Customized look for Shields and Invencibilities, as well as monitor icons, sighposts, checkpoints and some other sprites here and there (made by me).
- New invencibility music.
- Modified boss for Urban Garden act 3.
- Angelic Bay zone now uses a single and different background deformation, as well as the title screen (making the title screen's background static was my way to get rid of the GHZ background deformation), but it does pay off since the art of both Title Screen and the zone's art (including palettes too) are improved. Also it makes the Title screen even more unique.
- Fixed the pixel size of the flower and the plant decoration of Angelic Bay (thanks to MegaGWolf for point it out).
- Very few palette stuff changed for better blending.
- The gems have different colors per zone or act, in case I did not mentioned that already.
- A little purple touch on the red color of Ruby Edge act 1 (I did this a while ago but forgot to say it).
- Way better looking foreground for Urban Garden act 2.

Screenshots (including the Game Over palette change and the Special Stage results palette change that I should have showed before) for this update:

I was thinking about making the Level Select's code different and make the credits show it, so you can only hear the extra songs after beating the game, but nevermind.

Austin Girouard, I tried to contact the person that coded the dropdash (already gived credits above) so we could fix that as well as the spring bug, but he never replied. So, since I cannot fix it alone, I posted how to avoid it on the first post.

I will think about what new stuff will come on 1.7 and I will post here. DOWNLOAD LINK UPDATED!

Peace.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:54:58 am by Timaeus »

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 05:29:09 pm »
  For those that are still checking this out, Version 1.7 will be releazed at an event in December, and when it comes I will upload it here too. The rom is having massive changes, mainly visually. I will share some pics of the work in progress that is being made by me:

Stay tuned for December. Peace.

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 05:08:35 am »
I dont want to sound rude but there are 2 things that seems to need improvement

1- I do think Sonic old colors were better, maybe its just me but I think Sonic looks too dark and maybe its just on the images it blends with the stages.

2- The sprite on the main menu, it looks odd, his head is not rounded as it should be, shadows and light source are mixed or non consistent, without offense it looks like an MS Paint practice, and it does not do justice to the game because sprite work ingame is really nice.

So, hope you can update it (I dont know if it has some limitations or anything), also, if you have that image I could give it a try, I do like to do sprites and would glady help with that if you want.

Timaeus

• Noel <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 12:21:58 pm »
  No worries. You are not being rude. Any constructive feedback is welcome.
  Well, I made him darker to add a black detail on every sprite, but I think I can add an lighter contrast to him and still keep it. About the Title screen one, that was intentional, since the other one was not matching his sprites at all, and the other Sonic games have both of them matching. If you look at both of them, you can see that they are similar and stuff, and I really like the sprites as they are. If you know ways to improve it and still make it look similar to his in-game sprites, let me know.
  The limitation about it is the fact that I cannot add more colors, but it is possible to work around that.
  I also made a new good looking grass for ABZ, improved act 2 and edited that sky dithering on Forgotten Land act 2 to make it way better looking.
  I will only update it again on December, but every feedback will be taken into consideration for 1.7.
  Thank you for your feedback though. :)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:40:41 pm by Timaeus »