News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RPGe's Magic Knight Rayearth (SNES) patch not booting in accurate emulators  (Read 2509 times)

Reiska

• View Profile
Title says it all, pretty much.  I made sure to patch the correct CRC as indicated on the RHDN page.  The game displays the TOMY splash screen, then locks up - I tried every SNES core available in Retroarch and got the same result.  The unpatched game boots fine, so it's definitely an issue with the patch doing something that, most likely, worked in ZSNES back in the day but which won't work on hardware.

So, my actual question is: is there a sufficiently old emulator other than ZSNES that I can actually play this with?  Or am I stuck using that old dinosaur?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
It's highly suspicious that it wouldn't work on any Retroarch SNES9x cores. Sounds like a patching problem rather than a problem with the patch.

That translation is for a ROM w/ header. It sounds like the CRC given is for the raw ROM (no header). Try adding a header to your ROM (you can use TUSH) first, then patch.

Next, hopefully play your game any way you'd like. ;D
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

POWCo-op

• View Profile
I actually had the same problem with Rayearth and a couple of games just the other day. Three more that I couldn't get to work were Jojo SNES, Danzarb SNES, and Sailor Moon - Another Story SNES. I'm sure there's a discernible answer. Since people review them it seems that they're able to play them using modern emulators.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Reiska

• View Profile
It's highly suspicious that it wouldn't work on any Retroarch SNES9x cores. Sounds like a patching problem rather than a problem with the patch.

That translation is for a ROM w/ header. It sounds like the CRC given is for the raw ROM (no header). Try adding a header to your ROM (you can use TUSH) first, then patch.

Next, hopefully play your game any way you'd like. ;D

Adding a header to the ROM indeed fixed it.  Can't believe I didn't think of that, it's been so long since I messed with the game and the old readme didn't specify whether the ROM needed a header or not (probably because unheadered ROMs basically didn't exist back then).  I see now that it says header on the sidebar but I didn't look there like an idiot.

Thanks!

POWCo-op

• View Profile
I've also got it working. Tried multiple ways. I had to remove the .smc header (for some reason), and then add a header. For the rest of the games I mentioned I found already patched files for all of them except Danzarb and IIRC Jojo. I used a .sfc file and patched them.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
If I'm not mistaken, newer formats like BPS would get around of this issue by forcing compatibility with the correct ROM, right? Perhaps an initiative to add newer patch formats to old IPS-only releases would help circumvent these types of issues. I think it's been cited as a reason to drop IPS all together, though that might be extreme.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
If I'm not mistaken, newer formats like BPS would get around of this issue by forcing compatibility with the correct ROM, right? Perhaps an initiative to add newer patch formats to old IPS-only releases would help circumvent these types of issues. I think it's been cited as a reason to drop IPS all together, though that might be extreme.
You reminded me that I had to use a bps patch for Sailor Moon - Another Story (ips was not working). Luckily the team included both bps and ips.

Reiska

• View Profile
More than likely, there's a number of very old fan translations which could stand to be re-examined on a technical level, simply because the art of NES/SNES ASM hacking has advanced so much since the days of the original patches.

Even if the scripts themselves are fine (many surely are), a lot of those old projects would benefit from modern knowledge in areas like menu hacking, extending length limits on item/spell names, implementation of VWFs, and the like.  I kind of wonder if the community's energy will eventually go that direction when it finally runs out of untranslated stuff to translate.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
I don't believe this will happen but I believe we'll see more recent games translated (like ones for DS, many of which are still in the original language) as time passes.  :beer: