News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: a random question  (Read 1162 times)

kirb1993

• View Profile
    • my website!
a random question
« on: March 28, 2019, 05:07:17 pm »
are we allowed to publish demos of rom hacks onto this site?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:06:30 pm by kirb1993 »
poyo!!! :)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: a random question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:18:54 am »
Demo is a rather ambiguous term.

There are many hacks labelled incomplete for a reason.

That said I imagine it would be a case by case basis going by end results on the game most of the time. Say you hacked a game to double damage and were tweaking the drops and enemy placement a bit as double is a bit too much for all but the truly hardcore players, however still had the last 4 levels or something to do and just wanted some feedback on the what you had done. That would probably fly.
If you still had a bug to squash at some point but it still allowed some useful play then again it would probably fly.
Similarly we have seen many games rendered far more playable by a menu hack (usually puzzle or fighting games).

Maintaining a thread on the forums is probably the better plan for a lot of things but there is scope for things.

For the most part the curation is there to make sure things are usable, and that the database does not get flooded with "I changed the starting pokemon and the ones on the title screen" type of hack, and the equivalents for the other games with tools.

kirb1993

• View Profile
    • my website!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:40:00 am »
well, what if i want to post a rom hack demo of super mario bros. with only world 1 edited just to get some feedback?
(if that sounds kind of mean, i'm sorry.)
poyo!!! :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:38:10 am »
What I would do is first make a Personal Projects thread about your hack - which you've done twice:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28030.0
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28297.0

Then make a patch of your work-in-progress hack and upload it to one of the thousand file hosting services, so that people can see what you've done without you needing to make a new entry in the database. I've done that before, so I suggest you do the same.

I'd also make one single thread for all your Super Mario Bros hacks and questions, because we don't need ten threads about the same topic. :)