News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to Play Rom Hacks on NVIDIA SHIELD  (Read 2725 times)

tddexter

• View Profile
How to Play Rom Hacks on NVIDIA SHIELD
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:46:17 pm »
I'm real interested in playing alot of these Super Mario Hacks i've seen and heard about online but looking to play them on my Nvidia shield. Does anyone here know how to go about doing that? I was able to download many other roms on it but for some reason having trouble getting hacked games to play. Thanks in advance

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Play Rom Hacks on NVIDIA SHIELD
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 01:17:57 pm »
for some reason having trouble getting hacked games to play.
Details, details.  What emulator are you using?  What hacks are giving you problems?

Are you patching the games before you download them to your Shield?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

mikael43

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 02:36:24 pm »
Retroarch 1.75 actualités Android tv and core snes 9x (1.58) or snes 9x 2005 (+ Version) for optimisée imput lag.

Retroarch simply the best. :beer:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 03:37:46 pm »
It's android based.  RetroArch is usually what you want on a shield nowadays if you want to do them for free.  You can find which are the best cores to run elsewhere.

I don't really know the power of a shield, but apparently it runs Beetle PSX just fine (which is something a whole lot of devices struggle with, meaning it'll run just about everything you care about when it comes to hacks).  That said, Beetle PSX is not the best in the world for running hacks easily for various reasons.  Look into ePSXe for Android if you have any trouble on that platform.

EDIT: Oh, and there are patchers on the store.  You usually want either ROM Patcher or Unipatcher depending on what you need it for (the former's much better with patching multiple times due to being able to not create backups, the latter can deal with things like SNES headers).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:48:05 pm by Chronosplit »

tddexter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:48 am »
Details, details.  What emulator are you using?  What hacks are giving you problems?

Are you patching the games before you download them to your Shield?

I'm using the NES/SNES/Sega/GBC Advanced emulator apps i downloaded 2 years ago. (I see that they are no longer on the Google Play Store) But they still work. I downloaded alot of ROM games from (SITE REMOVED) that year before it got shut down last year and they all still work. But for some reason the HACKED games wouldn't. For example i wanted to try some of the Mario Hacks that ive been reading about, so I downloaded one of them from the Super mario bros x site but it wouldnt work.

I have a 7zipper app that helped with some of the games to work but i don't think i have any patches.

MOD EDIT: Don't mention ROM site names. Honestly that guy's even said he's been threatened with lawsuits before and yet kept coming back, so I'm sure he will again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:37:28 am by KingMike »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 02:14:09 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/faq/

Gonna need to patch them ROMs.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 03:51:57 pm »
so I downloaded one of them from the Super mario bros x site but it wouldnt work.
Do you mean https://www.supermariobrosx.org/ ?  Because those aren't ROM hacks.  Super Mario Bros X is a Windows application.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with emulation and nothing you download from there will be usable with an emulator.  You would need a version of Super Mario Bros X for Android, and I don't think that exists.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!